Africa twin smaller wheels

longjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has any one changed their twin to 19' front and 17' rear wheels?

Rally Raid do a 19/17 tubeless conversion theres a bit of work involved to get it right, but looks great on the AT.

You need the Altrider High Fender Kit to make the front (110/80/19") tire fit.
The OE fender is too narrow in the back. Lifting it with the cheaper riser kits won't do the job either.
Also, if you have a DCT model like myself, the smaller wheel sizes will alter the shift points in auto mode especially in the S-modes.
Changing the rear sprocket to 40T which puts the speedo back where it should be but the shifts are still off, but much improved, i think RR now do a modified ABS rings that will put everything the way the ECU likes.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the info, I did see rally raids wheels and will probably go down that route, I should have the bike this week and I know it’s too tall so it will also help on that side of things.
Would have been better with the standard twin but the sport offers more for the money.

it’s too tall so it will also help on that side of things.

if you want to lower it, buy the standard AT dog bones for the rear shock and drop the forkes through the yokes, the RR wheels will only give you 15-20mm max, lower.

My standard AT is now a bit tail for me (29 inside leg) following swopping out the suspension for Ohlins and having it properly set up by k-tech, i also sent my TT seat to tony archer and for £30 he lowered it and brought the sides in, its actually made a huge difference and now i can tip-toe with both feet.

if you want to lower it, buy the standard AT dog bones for the rear shock and drop the forkes through the yokes, the RR wheels will only give you 15-20mm max, lower.

My standard AT is now a bit tail for me (29 inside leg) following swopping out the suspension for Ohlins and having it properly set up by k-tech, i also sent my TT seat to tony archer and for £30 he lowered it and brought the sides in, its actually made a huge difference and now i can tip-toe with both feet.

Thanks something else to look at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought you only got the bike as it was on a cheap deal? Kind of defeats the object if you’ve got to do all that to it! :D

I’ve picked bike up and a lower seat for £96 and it’s fine I’m a 29” inside leg and feel comfortable on it, so the wheels will be staying as they are.
I must say they are a cracking drive with the DCT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought you only got the bike as it was on a cheap deal? Kind of defeats the object if you’ve got to do all that to it! :D

Why do you think it was a Bargain Basement ! this particular model is not worthy of paying the rrp and i certainly feel for those that did because there a bit shit and need a couple of quid spending, especaily if you want to make it really good.

Your correct why spend if you only bought because it was cheap !! the only thing that has no return value is the hilltop, everything else was bought at a fraction of its original cost apart from the fork cartridge kit and the ohlins shock however after additional discount on the shock it was a real good buy and i recon ill recoup all my monies back on this, all other items were mostly used but like new, the exhaust was a steal ;) i should be able to recoup more return on resell or if not the same amount paid for the majority, I'm sure you do the same :D Certain accessories i never think about there initial cost, as per a sergeant seat i bought for another bike, when the bike is no longer ill sell the seat and if it returns 80% of its value than I'm fine with the rental charge.

The end result with this particular AT is now a very sorted competent bike and the bods whom have tried my bike have been extremely impressed and even the directors at k-tech were really impressed riding it back to back with there own AT and so the overall cost is still way under the rrp, tbh ill probably end up keeping it and just pay off the pcp.

Why do you think it was a Bargain Basement ! this particular model is not worthy of paying the rrp and i certainly feel for those that did because there a bit shit and need a couple of quid spending, especaily if you want to make it really good.

Your correct why spend if you only bought because it was cheap !! the only thing that has no return value is the hilltop, everything else was bought at a fraction of its original cost apart from the fork cartridge kit and the ohlins shock however after additional discount on the shock it was a real good buy and i recon ill recoup all my monies back on this, all other items were mostly used but like new, the exhaust was a steal ;) i should be able to recoup more return on resell or if not the same amount paid for the majority, I'm sure you do the same :D Certain accessories i never think about there initial cost, as per a sergeant seat i bought for another bike, when the bike is no longer ill sell the seat and if it returns 80% of its value than I'm fine with the rental charge.

The end result with this particular AT is now a very sorted competent bike and the bods whom have tried my bike have been extremely impressed and even the directors at k-tech were really impressed riding it back to back with there own AT and so the overall cost is still way under the rrp, tbh ill probably end up keeping it and just pay off the pcp.

Your bike sounds well sorted I'm glad your enjoying it.

I won't be spending lots of money on it, I think the suspension is fine and the exhaust sound is 100% better than the earlier model. Hilltop I don't think its worth the money on the DCT model.
Compared to a GSA which I have brought a few new they are a steal and at £11900 with low seat, panniers, centre stand and fender extender I'm more than happy.

You don't need too justify it to us, just be happy that you spent £3k on accessories to yourself

Back
Top Bottom