PILOT ROAD 5 PERFECTION

Apex

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
165 miles today on a new set of Pilot Road 5's.

My new favourite tyre for road work. I was worried as the stock tyre had a much flatter profile and I knew just looking at these that the riding experience was going to be different.

All I can say is WOW!

Brilliant feedback. Comfortable. Quick steering.

They suit 1290S perfectly. I can't quite believe the nature of the transformation. The bike is so easy to tip in and control in a turn. I've got Roadtec01's on the GSA and from day one I thought they were too quick for the bike. Great tyres of course, but not like these Pilots. We only had a damp road or two today, but I've no doubt that these new tyres will handle the wet weather at least as good as any other tyre I've ridden on.

So, if you've got a 1290 Adv (or dare I say any other bike) then make the change ASAP. Very impressed.
29cc86de8827d308cfa531890eedc4be.jpg
f1851fb0265cecb49360b35c95f44123.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah....and before a comment on 'chicken strips' lands, I don't do two-up tyre scrubbing. I intend keeping my stunning lady interested in the occasional pillion blast :green gri

I wonder if these are as susceptible to punctures as the PR4’s were?

Happy to say that I've never had a front puncture my entire riding life. On-road that is. Long may that one continue!

I've had a few rears but in two sets of PR4's only one puncture.

I guess I'll find out but, seriously Rich, get the new 5's on your S. You can thank me later.

The only negative I found today was expected. With the stock tyres I could come to a stop at lights, then put my foot down. You still can with these new tyres but you have to concentrate a little more on balance. Really not an issue though. Not like the GSA 'wobble' as you come to a stop.

I'd like to give these tyres a try, I am due a new pair before I leave for a Euro jaunt in a couple of weeks but my local independent tyre dealer is unable to get them and claims stock is low with his suppliers, out of interest where did you get these tyres and how much did you pay?

I'd like to give these tyres a try, I am due a new pair before I leave for a Euro jaunt in a couple of weeks but my local independent tyre dealer is unable to get them and claims stock is low with his suppliers, out of interest where did you get these tyres and how much did you pay?

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/

Arrived in 4 days from order....without warning so make sure they go somewhere where they can be signed for.

Prices, for info.

Attachments

• FC96B445-30BD-474B-A69A-1BC27B3D867F.jpeg
    FC96B445-30BD-474B-A69A-1BC27B3D867F.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 508
Just returned from 4 full days in Picos/Asturias (thanks Arsey..good post of yours that) and 3 days through France. The PR5's have been faultless. Zero 'moments' in the wet or dry. Did some heavy braking trying to break traction and all good. Deliberate mid-corner rear brake lock ups on wet roads and even with a loaded bike all was well. The way they tip into corners (for me at least) is just great, very like a sportsbike tyre. Impressed.

They really don't work in sand though....

ChrisA, I think we bumped into you at a cafe with your mate last Thursday/Friday, we were on a GS and a Triumph, you were suggesting we ride by a lake but we were headed south. Sorry to see the bike on its side.

I was very tempted by the PR5 trails but went with the Roadtec 01s, Micheldever had both in stock and slightly cheaper for Michelin’s.

Steve

ChrisA, I think we bumped into you at a cafe with your mate last Thursday/Friday, we were on a GS and a Triumph, you were suggesting we ride by a lake but we were headed south. Sorry to see the bike on its side.

I was very tempted by the PR5 trails but went with the Roadtec 01s, Micheldever had both in stock and slightly cheaper for Michelin’s.

Steve

Hi Steve

Yes, not the best cafe that one, but needs must!

First time in Asturias\Picos for both of us. I could happily live in Northern Spain. Scenery, roads, food, weather, prices...if I spoke Spanish I’d be tempted.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I find that picture very upsetting! Much damage done to the bike?

Almost nothing Rich. The Bumot pannier did it’s thing and kept the bike away from potential damage to the side bits. Zero dents but some scuffing on that as you might imagine. I had the front crash bar bags on which almost stopped the bar on that side from damage too...just a couple of dings. Bark busters did their thing. The orange/white panels unmarked. Mirror just moved but went back, no marks. Only damage visible are the smoked screens which have feather scratches which will probably buff out. The ‘landing’ was very soft.

I’ll add to this that the whole affair was pretty much a non event. I go off-road a fair bit and I’m always dropping the bike trying new stuff. You pick it up and carry on. It helps in these circumstances. Still annoying though. The rule is, when you’re busting, stop a lot sooner or like me you’ll get distracted!!

Back
Top Bottom