Clean your forks

Nutty

Reaction score
I noticed a dribble of fork oil all over the bottom of the forks the other day when out and about, and resigned myself to the fact that the bike needed new fork seals. Some googling later, and it looked like there could have just been some crap under the dust cover.

So, I ordered one of these off Amazon - https://riskracing.com/pages/seal-doctor

Slip the dust cover down, clip the seal doctor on, get it under the oil seal (don’t panic when some oil dribbles down the forks!) and turn 360 degrees. I was surprised at the amount of debris that came out.

While I was at it, I did the other side, without sliding the dust cover down, but there was a fair bit of debris in that side too.

I then went for a test ride, with lots of heavy braking. Stopped after 10 minutes and there was another small dribble. I wiped that off, carried on for 20 minutes, then checked again when I got home, and the forks were bone dry.

Hopefully that’s the issue sorted, so for the sake of £20 and less than 5 minutes work, it was money well spent. I know there are cheaper options, but if you’re crap at anything mechanical, like me, this is a good investment.

Or you can simply use a piece of plastic from those awkwark to get into packages, old school is 35mm film, feeler guage etc etc.

Or you can simply use a piece of plastic from those awkwark to get into packages, old school is 35mm film, feeler guage etc etc.

Yep, those are another option. The good thing with this is you can’t go too high into the forks, so it’s ideal for someone like me! :D

So a minor problem then Nutty?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom