WTF is going on with insurance

Wokkaman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Clearly claims have been going sky high....

Last year via Bennetts £225 fully comp on a 2014 GSA TE
Renewal £609.22!! Same bike, same address, Im older, bike is older, value is less and I added BikeTrac - Phone call with them, "Insurers are saying I live close to London, so theft is an issue" WTF I live 58 miles from London in Hampshire... Carol Nash £557 - Crazy thing is I only paid £630 for my Kawasaki ZX7R as my 1st bike with 0 no claims and only 13 days after passing my test back in 1996... these people are taking the piss!!!

Hastings £199 - in fact on Compare the first 6 prices were all within £260...

Moral of story shop around always

Same here with bennets again this year Hastings premier nearly half Bennets quote

2013 R1200GS. £140 fully comp, protected ncb, £0 voluntary excess, maximum no claims discount, age 61. Bennetts. And I'm in Hampshire, too.

We'll see what happens when it comes to renewal time.

and so the plot thickens;

So the Bennetts quote of £609.22 with Aviva
Hastings Premier £238 with Aviva

How does that work??

My renewal was double on my GSA ... anything over £15k they are loading I was told... amazing they dropped the price when I said I’d move 2 other bikes elsewhere.
Spent 40 mins on the phone tho sorting it out.

and so the plot thickens;

So the Bennetts quote of £609.22 with Aviva
Hastings Premier £238 with Aviva

How does that work??

I had the same experience

I was with Bennetts (£196) which jumped to £320 this year so opted for Hastings at £132 with the same lever of cover :duno

Crazy thing is I only paid £630 for my Kawasaki ZX7R as my 1st bike with 0 no claims and only 13 days after passing my test back in 1996... these people are taking the piss!!!

Pointless comparison.

So £630 more than 20 years ago.. What was that in percentage terms of your weekly wage at the time against the recent quote you're comparing it to ?.

Bennetts …

Interesting.

I have just bought a new Adventure TE Triple Black following the theft (total loss) of my much loved olive green 15 plate Adventure TE. I have max NCD (protected) and got the cover for £438, fully comp including class one business use.

Prior to the theft I was paying £230, so I thought this was pretty reasonable.

Cheers

Paul

Pointless comparison.

So £630 more than 20 years ago.. What was that in percentage terms of your weekly wage at the time against the recent quote you're comparing it to ?.

I’m just trying to point about the fact I had no no claims at all back then and while £630 was a lot of money my bike back then, the current insurance system is a farce! My 2017 Range Rover Supercharged is cheaper to insure than my GSA... it’s crazy. Same address, same driver, same points etc, etc... and the current RRS are getting stolen a lot with the key relay systems...

It’s a total lottery... in fact I insured my GSA and my recently sold GTL for less than the renewal on my GSA only...

I’m just trying to point about the fact I had no no claims at all back then and while £630 was a lot of money my bike back then, the current insurance system is a farce! My 2017 Range Rover Supercharged is cheaper to insure than my GSA... it’s crazy. Same address, same driver, same points etc, etc... and the current RRS are getting stolen a lot with the key relay systems...

It’s a total lottery... in fact I insured my GSA and my recently sold GTL for less than the renewal on my GSA only...

I paid £330 to insure my 650cc motorbike in 1980 (equivalent to £1522 in 2018)..

I've just received my bike insurance renewal, for 7 bikes, including UK/european breakdown cover £408.

My Range Rover insurance costs me £290.

I paid £330 to insure my 650cc motorbike in 1980 (equivalent to £1522 in 2018)..

I've just received my bike insurance renewal, for 7 bikes, including UK/european breakdown cover £408.

My Range Rover insurance costs me £290.

I rest my case on insurance prices - for me 1 bike, 1 car = £900 approx

Same experience with Bennets. Africa twin premium has jumped from £153 to £310 with no changes in the risk for the insurance company, much like many others on the forum. Strange how you can go on comparison website, state zero NCB & get introductory price of around £140. It seems loyalty to an insurance company counts for nothing. I was told recently that insurance policies are purchased by brokers as a commodity from the underwriters, where a specific ‘risk’ has been identified, if you like as a profile of customers they think they can sell to. The broker may then charge what they wish, therefore the same insurance companies products can be sold by various brokers for vastly different prices.

My multi bike renewal came in at £700 with eBike (who are about to rebrand as Brightside) when i paid £360 last year. Shopped around and go the best deal with Bennetts. 2015 GSA and Urban GS multi bike policy £310... Happy with that!

London's turned into a biking hell; I had my GSA stolen late 2014, I had 4 attempts on my replacement KTM 640, a guy I met at superbike school was bike-jacked this year (MT09) and left unconscious, and a colleague had his Husqvarna 701 stolen from an underground carpark in Trafalgar!

Playing the 'comparethemarket' game, quotes for my current bike have nearly doubled in the last 3 months. It makes me wonder if a bunch of theft stats have been uploaded into a database!

Bennets is cyclic,

Low for year one, high year two, low year three and so on .

what makes me laugh is the laughable way they now have to proclaim what they ripped ;) , sorry charged you last year.

and then with great aplomb, give you the new figure as though you'll rip there arm off to accept.

£20k '67 Reg Vauxhall Car = £350 fully comp
£15k '17 Reg BMW Bike = £250 fully comp
£10k '67 Reg Honda Bike = £180 fully comp
£4k '10 Reg Suzuki Bike = £100 fully comp

I think that's reasonable actually.

I can't possibly get insurance on even a 3 year old GS. London, front garden, 56 years old, 8 years ncd and riding since I was 17.

My current T Max was 400 back in July. If I were to insure it today it's 620 with the same company.

As someone said it seems the latest theft data must of been really bad.

I moved last week a few streets. Same risk area yet due to increasing costs they wanted £170 for change of address.

Paid, I had no choice, and wrote to CEO.

Now they are going to refund me.

Bloody chancers that depend on people just accepting their quotes.

Same here with bennets again this year Hastings premier nearly half Bennets quote

Also went from bennets to Hastings for same reason but just changed my bike 6 weeks into policy and what a shite company to deal with , gave me OTT quote on new GS (old bike 2016 gsa) gave me a price from different under writer
and a price to cancel . Tried to swap to new under writer and stay with them but totally unhelpful and unacceptable so cancelled and price went from £55 to £148.00 got put to a manager who finally charged me £80 .
May be cheap at first but if anything requires help , either not trained properly or just don't know what there doing .
Have changed bikes mid way through policy a few times and never really had a problem just paid a few quid more

Back
Top Bottom