A Little Run around France

(RIP) andrewgsadv

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
France Motorcycle Trip August 2018

Our French Holiday this year , a big loop of France taking in some fine roads and Towns. Some we have done before and revisiting others . New to us are,Fontainbleau ,Millau and the the Tarn Gorge, the Vercors balcony roads and Bescancon
Be patient if you will as yesterdays posting event went belly up at my end.. So may need a few goes. A pic of our intended route.

Friday 10th August

Looking at all the gear piled up on the bed to fit in smaller than our usual panniers makes me think , just go in the car its easier. Mardy panic moment over and I cut down on all the crap , put a clothes washing squeezee tube in and it becomes an easy pack. After all its saying good weather for at least the next week . Stuff will dry in our accomodation as we are in Fontainbleau,Saumur,Millau and Vercors for a couple of days each to explore.
Julie is working till 12 so I re check the bikes over and get them out on the road with panniers on ready for the off by the latest 2pm. Off on time we ride up to Hull for the ferry to Zebrugge, fill up on sans plomb a few miles out so we are ready to roll off the ferry.
We made it with time to spare.

Underway leaving the gathering rain clouds behind.

Saturday 11th August

Disembarked and away before 10am.
Fontainbleau is our first stop just below Paris , a little History and a chance to look at the magnificent grounds and gardens. Our route down is a mix of A routes , N and D roads. Nothing exciting - just get there. Booked an Ibis in the Town Center ,easy to find and a good base for exploring. The Market was as ever excellent, the best bit though for us was the Gardens and miles of walkways around the impressive Buildings.
A few photos.

Miles of treelined walkways.

Exiting the Garden we spy this , I bet their arse gets wet in the rain, ooh errrr.

Monday 13th August

Up and at em early we have a cross country run down to Saumur, we camped here in the 1990s and stayed by the river . I have booked another hotel , 3 nights right on the river as a suprise for Julie, a bridge walk away from the town. The riverside walks and old town are most enjoyable. Good weather is the icing on the cake. Night or day this is a very nice place.

View from our window.

As the day progressed and the light changes.

We go up the river path and back and visit the Chateau grounds , spotting these beauties.

View from near Chateau

Thursday 16th August

Up and off early, we follow the misty river.

On our way to Treignac we stop in Oradour sur glane for a couple of hours and then on to our overnight in L`Ancienne Maison ,a really nice place to stay, owned and run by an English couple. Recommended

Friday 17th August

Treignac to Millau

Its a good run down along some excellent roads.

We have a groundfloor apartment through Booking.com with offroad parking. Greeted by an elderly French couple , we are ushered inside , shutters are closed so it feels murky and payment was taken yesterday, no turning back now , however there is a 200 euro security deposit . Had this before with French Lets . There English is as good as our French but with loud voices and the medium of mime all is good. Once the shutters are open and the air is flowing all is good . The flat is very clean and well appointed. Unpacked and changed we head off to explore Millau. We find our bearings and decide to have an early tea and go exploring again first thing. We find the glove makers Millau is famous for its gloves. Tres` expensive.

WHO HAS A HAND LIKE THIS?

Best side on view of the Millau bridge is alledgedly from this Tower near Tourist info. Not for the faint hearted.

Two other beauties, both grip well in the corners, love the baby Gecko

Which reminds me its a bike trip so lets get on them local roads. We want to look at the bridge from different angles so off we go on one bike. Julie really pleased at not having to ride the bike as she is starting to find it a little heavy these last few trips.

I have prepared a 60 mile loop to look at the Millau Bridge and surrounding area. Julie on the back can take many more photos too.

Returning to find this cat warming Julies bike seat.

More to follow folks

Sunday 19th August

The owners arrive at 9am for L`Inspection and hand back our deposit . So after a handshake and a bon journee its time to leave.

We are travelling to the Vercors Region today via the Tarn Gorge and many other little roads. 190 miles on the twisties,easily done. Well most roads have been heavily gritted because of the hot weather and tar melting. This slowed us considerably by about an hour and a half.

Arriving at our next place A L`Oree du Bois in Hotsun, suite with a Balcony , pool outside 37 deg C in the shade .
Bliss . The long day melting away.

Monday 20th August big loop transferred to the Garmin to cover as many Vercors balcony roads as possible. Just scratching the surface at 150miles.
Julie on the back of my bike, especially after yesterday.

Overtaken by a cyclist , ¬I`ll have him on the up hill section.

End of a long hot day , what could be better.

Tuesday 21st off to Bescancon

All D and N roads a really good run. Need to keep an eye out for the many cameras. Speed limits not as well marked as uk. A big help was the ability to switch to KMH on the FJR . Hopefully no speeding tickets , though Julie thought she was flashed (OOOH ERRRR) in Belgium on our way back to ferry, so I will have been as in front of her - Cest la vie .

We arrive at the centrally located Ibis in Bescancon
Bescancon is lovely , a most enjoyable day and a half exploring. Julie and I determined that we would walk the waterway all the way around the Town even in 37 deg C - `mad dogs and Englishman `.

Into Town

OOOOh Fjr Police bike.

Lots of hidden Graffiti but some catches your eye.

The wildlife on the rivers and canals is fantastic. The fish were in abundance , so much so that there was a large flock of about 70 mergansers contantly diving for fish,very comical.

We dine out in the evening ready to say farewell to Bescancon.
An early dash is planned N and A roads as weather looking suspect.

Thursday 23rd August

Off to ride in the Vosges ,Grand Ballon and Route des Cretes.
Quick motorway blast to get us there.

Arrived in perfect sunshine, started the climb and the clouds started to roll in .

The rain started easy

We made refuge in a big Cafe at Grand Ballon. Settling in for the long haul with thunder and lightning outside, followed by much rain, two coffees and a bit of cake later and its passed.

Just in time

We ride on and enjoy the rest of the day,brightening again.

A spot of lunch.

Have booked a place in Taintrux called Auberge De La Charriole ,lovely place and staff. Good accomodation and food . The medium of Mime in use again, and allo allo French . All good . Sad its only for one night as the area looks grand for further exploration.

Friday 24th August

Sadly leaving the Vosges behind us we are En route to Ferry and staying in St Quentin tonight which leaves us a very easy day Saturday to get to Zebrugge.

Coming home,epic weather display at sea, thunder and lightening , rain on the horizon and in contrast wonderful sunset. Much better out here than listening to the onboard bingo.

Thats it for another year . Both bikes ran like a dream , thanks to Mikeyboy for the TLC in preparing Julies F650gs :cool: . Maybe its last big trip as Julie finding bike a little heavy these days. Certainly be cheaper just taking mine (Yorkshire ` ism). The Fjr1300, just brilliant both solo and two up. Solid and planted, easy to ride and thus far no corrosion. Tyres are conti attack road 3 GT. Expensive but much better than oe .

The routes and Satnavs were almost faultless , problems often down to me not looking. The info from here on GPS and there use has helped me learn how to bend them to my will. Thankyou , Wapping and all the other regular contributors.:beerjug:

Enjoyed the report. Yes, the Vosges are worth several days in their own right or maybe 2 or 3 nights at the start or end of a longer trip.

Enjoyed the report. Yes, the Vosges are worth several days in their own right or maybe 2 or 3 nights at the start or end of a longer trip.

Most enjoyable, especially when the sun shone during our Vosges run, our second visit.

enjoyed reading this, thanks

Thanks Shay, a very relaxed trip for us , just really enjoy France except their inability to provide proper Tea for us Brits. :D

Excellent report and photo's , thanks , brings back memories from my hols a month earlier, Vive la France :thumb

Hi JB plenty of cameras but well marked by signs , slow in those areas and all good. Bit like the Peak and it’s 50mph restrictions. Feels as though it cramps your riding unless you chill. Plenty of roads to get a move on. Belgium had less in the way of warnings and good signage in my view. The ability to switch my clock to kmh made me feel easier :rob

I really enjoyed reading that, thanks :thumb2

We've stopped in Fountainbleau a few times, a lovely town.

An enjoyable read and great pics thanks Andrew, a small group of us are heading over the water to do some of the balcony roads in less than 2 weeks time, this has whetted my appetite quite nicely :thumby:

very enjoyable read and some good ideas of places/towns to stay, must admit I prefer small towns to cities but might have to revise this tactic in future!

very enjoyable read and some good ideas of places/towns to stay, must admit I prefer small towns to cities but might have to revise this tactic in future!

If the city has a historic centre then they are often very pleasant places to stay if you mentally block the tourist tat. Find the main square and then drift out a block or two for restaurants and bars with a bit more character. Once you have eaten, they are usually interesting, well lit and safe places to have a wander around before settling somewhere for a nightcap.

An enjoyable read and great pics thanks Andrew, a small group of us are heading over the water to do some of the balcony roads in less than 2 weeks time, this has whetted my appetite quite nicely :thumby:

We did 150 miles 2 up over 1 day just scratching the the surface. The Gites des France place was an excellent place to stay with pool. Madame had little English but whipped out google translate as did we. Made the stay far more engaging. Hope you have a few days to play in the area. :cool:

Saumur and Millau worth a couple of days, Bescancon too. Fontainbleau needs a good day for the house and gardens. Many places just as good. Helps when the Mrs wants to explore in Forensic detail.
If I was on me own it would be quick look and away on the bike. Bless her she makes our holidays far more interesting and then indulges me with the biking side. :thumby:

If the city has a historic centre then they are often very pleasant places to stay if you mentally block the tourist tat. Find the main square and then drift out a block or two for restaurants and bars with a bit more character. Once you have eaten, they are usually interesting, well lit and safe places to have a wander around before settling somewhere for a nightcap.

Top idea,just the ticket. I usually spend as much time researching little places to stay for me but Mainly for Julie. It’s our only break from work so I try to surprise her. Have done thus far.

Anyone want to see more pictures shout out and will post a link. Prepare to be bored out of your tree. :D

Thanks everyone for the comments. :thumby:

Cracking piccies Andrew.
(as usual )

But your choice in footwear & nail colour are a worry though... :blast

;)

Attachments

• i-LPLZTmv-XL.jpg
    i-LPLZTmv-XL.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 138

Back
Top Bottom