French run - here or there?

G&T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A little guidance please fellas...Travelling through France (in a week’s time) and on through Spain. Heading from Chartres, Mrs G&T (Sal) thinks La Rochelle is worth a look for the next night stop. Or do you think other?

We intend to spend 2-3 days in the Bordeaux / Bergerac area, so any tips of places to stay or see appreciated. Just trying to make it up via trip advisor at the mo and threads on here.

We are gradually heading toward Pau to cross into Spain and further south, gently making our way, non-toll.

Thanks
Glenn

la rochelle harbour and aquarium well worth a look, watch out for beggars tho!
stayed a night in pau in june, nice town centre, hotel was Ok but nothing worth a special recomendation, go when the race is on for atmosphere!

La Rochelle really is lovely especially near the old harbour and there are lots of lovely (but I expect) expensive restaurants.

Worth a stop-over.

Great, thanks Russ and Davel. La Rochelle it is then :thumb

Do you have any other top tips further south to aim at?

Cheers
Glenn

after La Rochelle, maybe somewhere in the Lot - Rocamadour or Cahors, maybe. Try the local black wines made from malbec.

Me and Mrs buyer are having little jaunt around France, and staying in La Rochelle for 2 nights ( 9 Sept )... I love the place .... staying again at the Mercure, highly recommend :thumb2

If staying in La Rochelle the Ibis Styles La Rochelle Centre is very well located it does have underground parking but both times i have stayed there we parked in the foyer of the Hotel for free which is in full view of the reception and off street.

If you like curry Shalimar is a decent curry house (for France). 39 Rue St Jean Du Perot https://www.google.je/maps/@46.1562...tPLBBL6OyHJ40iaBzMDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en although Google street view doesn't do it any justice at all. Also Bar Le Casa and neighbouring bar was very lively when we were there which is just further up this street.

Heading towards Spain I'd head for the Marina of Hossegor (we stayed at Hotel Korner Ocean which was fab again off street parking) or Biarritz or Saint Jean De Luz or further on San Sebastian although San Seb is very expensive to stay but definitely worth a visit.

La Rochelle is very nice. We stayed in the B&B hotel La Rochelle Centre,secure gated parking, nice room and only a 10 min walk to the old harbour. Plenty of places to eat n drink as you can imagine. :thumby:

We like La Rochelle, les Sables d’ollone is a nice place to. We’re off to Isle d’Oleron next week.

Don’t miss Oradour sur Glane on your way south. Rocamadour is worth a visit and if that’s your thing then St. Cirq la Popie and Conques may be interesting. We like the Pyrenees - St. Girons, Foix, Ax les Thermes. The Spanish roads are fun but in my view Andorra’s a waste of time.

Awesome fellas - many thanks :thumb:thumb:thumb
Glenn

If you're into WW2 stuff,' Le Bunker' in La Rochelle is worth a visit.

It was the R&R location for U-boat officers from the nearby base at La Pallice, was locked up after the war and only re-discovered fairly recently, virtually intact. Check it out on Tripadvisor, lots of positive reviews :thumb2

I did a write up on here coming back from Santander to Roscoff via Pyrenees and some towns on the way back up.

I couldn't get the photos to appear but you can click on them.

It might be useful.

The city of Bordeaux itself is a good place to stay.

Hotel around the station, which is worth a look as they have this big old train map on the wall, and travel about by tram.

Google le puy de fou, its a theme park about an hour from La Rochelle, no rides, it's all live action shows, voted one of the best in the world if you believe trip advisor!!
It's a long day but it is spectacular and different.

Al.

if you are going to La Rochelle, Les Tetes Brulees is a good bar at the harbour.

A bit of a shrine to all things flying

P1010358.jpg

P1010363.jpg

Me and SHMBO were in La Rochelle last week.
Lovely place but bloody hot weather.
There's an open air bar near the harbour that has live music.
Its full of hipster types but the location and views are excellent.
It was quite expensive for beer and you had to pay a deposit on the glasses but still worth a look.

I did a write up on here coming back from Santander to Roscoff via Pyrenees and some towns on the way back up.

I couldn't get the photos to appear but you can click on them.

It might be useful.

Just booked the Plymouth - Roscoff ferry to take a looksee at Brittany on the way down. Thanks Davel. It made more sense than the Chunnel rather than just blatting south to Chartres.
Ta
Glenn

Back
Top Bottom