Good roads around Dent - suggestions please

Spritchy

Reaction score
I’m going to be staying in Dent for a couple of days at the start of next week and want to make the most of my time there. There are too may dales to go up and down so hoping to get some suggestions for the best roads. My preference is for single track but all suggestions welcome :) Also, any suggestions for good cafes and pubs would be great.

From my recollection, point yourself in any direction and you'll find single track roads. The whole area is superb.

Out of Dent past the village shop heading East towards Hawes, turn left after several miles towards Dent rail station.

Up the hill and over the top of the moors to meet the A684 at Garsdale.

Right here, then left in about 1/2 mile onto the B6259.

Next proper right turn up that B road is 10miles or so at Nateby onto B6270.

Take the second left after another 10 miles or so (first left is a very minor dead end road so you might miss it - if you reach Keld you have gone too far) up a very steep hill with very tight hairpins heading towards Tan Hill Inn. (Lunch if its time and if its open).

Head East from here towards Reeth about 20 miles.

Turn left (West) back towards Gunnerside and Muker on the B6270 again.

Just after Muker look for the left onto Buttertubs Pass and Hawes.

Stop at the top and peer into the Butter Tubs then head into Hawes - go through the town and look for the Pennygarth cafe on the west side of town near the petrol station. Popular weekend biker cafe. There are other cafes and pubs if you want them.

Two routes back to Dent from here - back on the A684 to Garsdale and retrace your route back over the moor past Dent Station, or take a left just after the petrol station towards Ingleton and after 10 miles or so look for a Right towards Dent.

If you want to extend your ride at Hawes look for the minor road heading south between the petrol station and the Pennygarth cafe. Take this and needle your way through the village and head south towards Buckden and Kettlewell. Options for a bit of green laneing around here - you spot signs for Byways at the top of the hill.

A mile or so south of Kettlewell look for a right towards Arncliffe.

Through Arncliffe staying in the valley to Halton Gill then up the hill out the valley and over the top of the moors to eventually find the B6479 at Stainforth.

Turn right (North) towards Helwith Bridge and Horton before eventually coming out at Ribblehead (Viaduct).

Turn right here (North) and look for the left towards Dent in 5 miles or so.

** All distances very rough guesstimates and from memory but I did check the road numbers on a map and I think I have got all my rights and lefts correct. Its all good round there though. You could just as easily head to Sedburgh then Kirkby Stephen (great road). The area between Kirkby and Appleby is stunning. Or take the gated road out of Dent towards Thornton in Lonsdale/Ingleton and then have mooch about the Lune Valley and the Bowland fells.

Have great trip

AustinW that’s brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to give me such detailed info - I think that’s my trip sorted now �� Can’t wait to get away on Sunday.

You won't go far wrong with Austins suggested routes, also have a meander through Barbon bringing you out near Casterton - not far but a lovely little run.
KL/Devils Bridge is nearby if you want a greasy bacon sandwich but gets a bit too 'bikerish' on a weekend for my liking.

Pretty much any smallish road north of the A65 around the NP is fair game

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

The route given by Austin is a good one. If you get bored and like single track gated roads use the Deepdale route to get you to Ingleton where it conveniently brings you out by the Marton Arms :beerjug:

If you don’t like stopping to open gates on hills where the road is heavily cambered ignore Deepdale :blast

The route given by Austin is a good one. If you get bored and like single track gated roads use the Deepdale route to get you to Ingleton where it conveniently brings you out by the Marton Arms :beerjug:

If you don’t like stopping to open gates on hills where the road is heavily cambered ignore Deepdale :blast

I had fun on that road earlier this year going from Ingleton to Dent - two gates on the flat, no problem, then two gates on a downhill section. Struggling to get the bike parked up at the first one when, fortunately, a car arrived and the driver took care of the gate. Second one, again, fortunately, wasn't latched and I just pushed through. I think that's a road I'll avoid in future.

I had fun on that road earlier this year going from Ingleton to Dent - two gates on the flat, no problem, then two gates on a downhill section. Struggling to get the bike parked up at the first one when, fortunately, a car arrived and the driver took care of the gate. Second one, again, fortunately, wasn't latched and I just pushed through. I think that's a road I'll avoid in future.

It’s best done from the Dent side going up the hill. I was there a couple of weeks ago and it had rained quite heavily so the road up from Dent then past the first gates had a mini stream flowing down it so I returned the longer way rather than do the gates downhill.

Suggesting to people who don’t know it to start from Ingleton is a bit naughty but it’s worth stopping at the bottom and seeing where the water emerges from Keld Head when there’s been a lot of rain because it comes out under such high pressure that you get a reversed waterfall.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I’ll end up doing a bit of everything and I’ll take Andy’s advice and do the Ingleton road from the Dent side. Bike is all loaded up for an early start in the morning. Looking forward to a few pints in the George and Dragon tomorrow evening :beerjug: Thanks again.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I’ll end up doing a bit of everything and I’ll take Andy’s advice and do the Ingleton road from the Dent side. Bike is all loaded up for an early start in the morning. Looking forward to a few pints in the George and Dragon tomorrow evening :beerjug: Thanks again.

I'm in the campsite tomorrow Tuesday 2nd for a couple of nights ... I'll be in the Sun Inn in the evening, just look for a little old man with a black Cocker Spaniel :beer:

:beerjug:

Hi Micky. Unfortunately I’m leaving tomorrow morning although I’d love to stay another night. Spent today following Austin’s route- around 120 miles in 7 hours and all in the pouring rain. Great fun though in a strange sort of way. Now having a refreshment in the G&D �� Hope you enjoy your stay.

Hi Micky. Unfortunately I’m leaving tomorrow morning although I’d love to stay another night. Spent today following Austin’s route- around 120 miles in 7 hours and all in the pouring rain. Great fun though in a strange sort of way. Now having a refreshment in the G&D �� Hope you enjoy your stay.

Always enjoy Dent .... it's the start of my four or five weeks 'on the road' :thumb

Enjoy your evening :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom