Front sprocket nut

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Which way do you go to undo it please? I can't shift it - but also notice the sprocket is loose on the shaft.....it rattles from side to side, like the nut hasn't bedded onto it. before i can explore further, I need to get the nut undone.
Thanks.

Right, got it undone - standard thread. I did wonder if it might be leftie because of the rotation.

Now, next up...the wobble on the sprocket. The one that was on there had a wobble to it, the new one is snug on the splines but also wobbles side to side a little, despite the nut and washers being tight. Anyone able to tell me how it should be please? I am without transport until I can get it done.
Thanks.

That's normal.

Really? Wow, thanks I'll get the chain run through then. It is about 30 years since I changed a chain and sprockets - the Morini was the last one and that had two bolts holding the sprocket tight to the shaft. Hence my concern.

SORTED!

The play isn't normal.... originally I took the bolt out and kept the washers on in situ as a stack - so they would go on in the order they came off. I decided I would take the bolt out and have a good gander at everything. It turns out the inner washer, the larger one, is a bellvue washer. So covered in black, moly, grease I couldn't actually see the dish shape. Also it was hidden by the other washer that presses onto it. It would seem whoever fitted the original sprocket got it on the wrong way round (the original sprocket had play in it too). It just didn't seem right to me - hence me asking.

SOLUTION: turn the bellvue washer around so the cone faces outwards. BINGO, the dish flattens as you do the bolt up and takes up the play. Perfect fit.

I just thought i would put this up here in case anyone else has the same problem when they take theirs off. :thumby:

The diaphragm spring washer fits 'belled' outwards, so the rim of the washer, its outer edge, sits against the sprocket ... so it doesn't rattle.

It shouldn't rattle!

i-npCmQx8-L.jpg

:beerjug:

The diaphragm spring washer fits 'belled' outwards, so the rim of the washer, its outer edge, sits against the sprocket ... so it doesn't rattle.

It shouldn't rattle!

i-npCmQx8-L.jpg

Thanks for this, a job that I'm dreading this winter ... BTW do you know the torque value to refit the offending nut?

Regs

Simon

Thanks for this, a job that I'm dreading this winter ... BTW do you know the torque value to refit the offending nut?

Regs

Simon

Don't dread it. It is simple. The chain is more fiddly to fit than the sprockets. Especially if you use an o-ring chain, you have to squish the O-Rings with the side plate before the spring clip will go on..... easy enough with a G-clamp and a nut just bigger than the pins....screw the clamp up using the nut over the pin. Side plate squeezes in, but you need to do each pin in turn, unless you can find two nuts and a bit of something to bridge them... I did them in turn, then the spring clip just pops on easily.

Sprockets - rear is dead easy, just undo the 6x 10mm nuts.
Front sprocket - put bike in gear, stand on back brake as well to take some pressure off the gearbox and undo the sprocket nut. It isn't that tight.

Order of service:
Sprocket nut.
Chain spring link clip off and split chain, take off by feeding through.
Rear wheel out.
Rear sprocket nuts.

Front sprocket on - do nut up mostly.
Feed chain through front sprocket. leaving dangling.
Rear sprocket onto wheel.
Fit rear wheel.
Fit chain fully and do spring clip.
Fully tighten front sprocket nut using rear brake to take pressure off the gearbox.

Thanks for all this. In fact I changed the chain and rear socket under the tutelage ion the late Brian Graves* - lovely guy - back in 2012. But we couldn't budge the front and as it was in perfect condition, unlike the rear - which being allow was well chewed up! - and weren't sure which way the thread went we gave up. But now I want to change the whole ... as well as lots of other stuff in readiness for riding the TET next year. So, I'll be back! :)

Regs

Simon

PS no worries about spring clips - I'm a 'seventies biker! - but I also have a chain tool and Brian kindly restrained me from flattening the, er, fixing thingy! :)

* used to appear on forums as 'Picos Mestizo'

As a 'sixties biker' I don't think I'd be using the spring clip version to join the chain together on a 650 ...

... just sayin' like :blagblah

Belt and braces ... I'd rather use a riveted chain :rob

As a 'sixties biker' I don't think I'd be using the spring clip version to join the chain together on a 650 ...

... just sayin' like :blagblah

Belt and braces ... I'd rather use a riveted chain :rob

Ah, yes, rivet, that's the bugger. Meanwhile I was talking about a split link! :)

Si

Ah, yes, rivet, that's the bugger. Meanwhile I was talking about a split link! :)

Si

Yeah I know ... but I wouldn't split link a chain on a 650 :blast

We (not me, one of our group) had catastrophic chain failure on a Ubiquitous Japanese 600 in Ireland with a split link failure. OK, it could have been put on the wrong way round, but then we'll never know :D

i-ctvDpFb-L.jpg

My split link chain is still performing admirably! I have checked the spring link cover, and it is still tight. How it would come off I can't work out, as anything it rubbed against is forcing it on, not off. The way I ride, i think it is very safe - it might have 650ccs, but I ride it as though it had 125!

Few years ago, did a pyrenees, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, trip, 10,000km, when got home noticed had lost the spring clip of the link......where abouts, who knows, but I remember it was still hard to get link apart.

Back
Top Bottom