Manchester to Scotland and back in a day 3 lochs run

steele01

Reaction score
Yesterday was a super special day for so long I've wanted to do Scotland via motorcycle still trying to decide on what gear to go further a field tent wise etc so after a bit of arm twisting my dad decided to come with on his GSX-R 750.

The plan - To do Manchester to Scotland to Manchester and back in a day and while up there do the three lochs run.

We set off at 7 am dad feeling rather freezing after leaving his Dianese water proof jacket so a quick about turn to go get it. (did tell him he might need it)

After a steady pace we got to Tebay services to refuel the GSXR-750 ouch 1.50 a litre poor dad haha. The rest of the motorway trip went without a hitch no pics of this stretch of the journey as we were saving the batteries for what would turn out to be an epic day in Scotland.

Both bikes performed superb first stop was Mofat for fuel again for the 750 and a litle stretch of the legs

after a brief misshap with the Nav V haha we finally got on the right route :)

amazing to see such beautiful countryside
F800GS Norton.rider Scotland by norton.rider, on Flickr

with roads where you just dont see anyone for so long really vies you time to just take it all in an enjoy the views.

was some forest managment going on

both bikes were right up the the task although we stopped at the view point at Meggetts just around the bend are some absolutley sublime views the go pro footage thats coming will show some of them :)

I honestly don't think I could tire of Scotland ever every bend lead to an even better view

an the beemer inspired confidence no matter what the conditions although its gotta be said my dads GSX-R did amazing to!

sometimes you just have to take 5 and take in the epic views this stop was just above the last of the Loch's Dad looking very contemplative

an me with the f800gs often don't like doing self portraits but like this one :)

so to sum up the trip in a photo and words endless space!

Manchester to Scotland the three lochs route then back to Manchester in one day if I could move to Scotland I would on a heartbeat felt so at home an everyone is so nice just amazes me.

the ride back went swift an ok a stop at Tebay services again for fuel an a quick one near Rivi Barn an back to the chaos that is Manchester traffic very much looking forward to getting up to Scotland again for a longer stay next time.

Do I think it was worth the 6-7 hours of motoway I do indeed such an amazing time.

Hope you all enjoyed the pics

Don't tell everyone to come to Scotland it's rubbish . Just going to jump on my bike to Inveraray from and back for a wee Friday night run..
Looks like you had a good run ..

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Don't tell everyone to come to Scotland it's rubbish . Just going to jump on my bike to Inveraray from and back for a wee Friday night run..
Looks like you had a good run ..

Inveraray
9e8f3162905430e47b8129c6afa2685b.jpg
65798f5ec1b0ca39b585fe87121d4a90.jpg
9faf431b7c8d821052435739dba235b7.jpg

Yesterday was a super special day for so long I've wanted to do Scotland via motorcycle still trying to decide on what gear to go further a field tent wise etc so after a bit of arm twisting my dad decided to come with on his GSX-R 750.

The plan - To do Manchester to Scotland to Manchester and back in a day and while up there do the three lochs run.

We set off at 7 am dad feeling rather freezing after leaving his Dianese water proof jacket so a quick about turn to go get it. (did tell him he might need it)

After a steady pace we got to Tebay services to refuel the GSXR-750 ouch 1.50 a litre poor dad haha. The rest of the motorway trip went without a hitch no pics of this stretch of the journey as we were saving the batteries for what would turn out to be an epic day in Scotland.

Both bikes performed superb first stop was Mofat for fuel again for the 750 and a litle stretch of the legs

after a brief misshap with the Nav V haha we finally got on the right route :)

amazing to see such beautiful countryside

with roads where you just dont see anyone for so long really vies you time to just take it all in an enjoy the views.

was some forest managment going on

both bikes were right up the the task although we stopped at the view point at Meggetts just around the bend are some absolutley sublime views the go pro footage thats coming will show some of them :)

I honestly don't think I could tire of Scotland ever every bend lead to an even better view

an the beemer inspired confidence no matter what the conditions although its gotta be said my dads GSX-R did amazing to!

sometimes you just have to take 5 and take in the epic views this stop was just above the last of the Loch's Dad looking very contemplative

an me with the f800gs often don't like doing self portraits but like this one :)

so to sum up the trip in a photo and words endless space!

Manchester to Scotland the three lochs route then back to Manchester in one day if I could move to Scotland I would on a heartbeat felt so at home an everyone is so nice just amazes me.

the ride back went swift an ok a stop at Tebay services again for fuel an a quick one near Rivi Barn an back to the chaos that is Manchester traffic very much looking forward to getting up to Scotland again for a longer stay next time.

Do I think it was worth the 6-7 hours of motoway I do indeed such an amazing time.

Hope you all enjoyed the pics

F800GS Norton.rider Scotland by norton.rider, on Flickr[/QUOTE

great pictures,

Go for it and make sure your dad goes while you can still ride together.

Cheers guys!! An yeah dad's doing amazing on that gsxr in full Dianese leathers he reckons he's to young for a GS haha sure he will soon see the light I think most likely though he's got his eye on my rd250lc lol

Tell him that the more mature gentleman should be riding a 1290 Super Duke GT. that’s mature in years, nothing else 😀

Scotland is epic, I'll move there once the kids have left home, looking forward to it. Great pics by the way

James

Thanks James yeah must admit I'm contemplating it myself :) either Scotland or Cornwall undecided yet

Aye, keep heading north, it gets quieter and better. Looks like you had a great day out

Thanks guys I really wanna go through Glencoe :) soon as I've got a tent sussed for us both an some panniers It'l be time to explore further.

For a day trip I think the route was the perfect distance as we were stopping loads just admiring the views

Very jealous that you get to ride with your dad. My dad gave up riding the motorcycle and sidecar he and mum had long before I was born as soon as he could afford a car. He's never really been a fan of me riding a bike and I'm the only one in the family who does but I've always wished he could have / would have come pillion with me just once to experience it . For a long time he's not been flexible enough to jump onboard. Dad was 90 yesterday , he had me in his forties.

Great pictures, looks like you both had a great day out together :thumb2

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Scotland is my own favourite biking country.

You can't beat a road trip......especially with those who mean the most to you.

Memories that last a lifetime.:D

thanks!!

90 is amazing my dads just coming up to 60 now

Yeah we are super close attached at the hip to be honest :) both know how lucky we are to have that sorta relationship actually got our first rd350lc that we built together when I was 14 made allot of memories together especially with the bikes

Looking forward to getting some big trips done again together:D I'd really like to do Norway etc but gonna do some camping up Scotland first for us both to get into it

Totally agree memories of a lifetime!!

Grab it while you can.

I was taken home from hospital a couple of days old in a sidecar so I always claim it’s in my blood. I was also lucky enough to ride with my dad a couple of times plus helped him restore a 1930s 350 Royal Enfield when I was an apprentice.

My youngest is 30 this year and keeps saying he’s going to take his bike test but he’s got a baby due this month so he may need to wait a while but I’ve no intention of stopping riding bikes so there’s hope yet. My daughter did have a CG125 when she was 17 but hated the cold so packed that in very quickly.

Grew up in my Dads garage watching then helping him restore bikes, then riding with him occasionally when I got my licence. He thought I was nuts so rarely agreed to come out. Now I’m nearly 40 and have a completely different mentality - unfortunately he’s suffered two serious illnesses and hasn’t ridden in five years, and is unlikely to do so again. It really saddens me, but at least he’s still involved helping me in my own garage (whether I need it or not I always ask his advice!)

Point is, enjoy it, and understand that advice often comes from experience.....

Wish I could ride with him again, but the stubborn sod refuses to get a sidecar to make it possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom