Best of the cheapest

Ninjarich my friend one question looking at the websites selling RST paragon gear what is the difference between CE rated jackets and none CE rated jackets as looking at the illustrations they look identical
Two websites gearexchange and sportsbikeshop except one is £134 and other £199

Ninjarich my friend one question looking at the websites selling RST paragon gear what is the difference between CE rated jackets and none CE rated jackets as looking at the illustrations they look identical

pretty sure the jackets will be the same - it is only the armour that gets the CE rating. The difference will be whether the jacket comes with the CE level 2 rated back protector. Some brands charge extra for this.

the one from Sporstsbikeshop at £135 includes the back protector and looks to be a good deal

Sorry I don’t know the difference myself, I purchased mine from the sports bike shop and I would certainly recommend going and trying the stuff on in person as it’s some interesting sizing options. I’m a fair dollop of lard myself but stiff found a size which for once isn’t tight with all the armour fitted. Knee pads are super comfy in the trousers and can’t feel the back or elbow protection whilst wearing. My mate has some other brand and I can always hear his teeth chattering on the intercom and we rode through some biblical downpours in Germany last year, he was dripping wet and I just had the odd bits. I’ve had all sorts of leathers and textiles in the past but for shear value for money for me I’ve been well impressed

Guys I’m lost a bit on the RST adventure gear waterproof removable lining description, it’s slightly off putting does that mean the outer shell material gets soggy?

Mine certainly doesn’t. I only take the inner lining out when it’s really hot, it’s a sort of padded fabric inner coat for the cold. There is the outer layer which is waterproof and then there is another layer which seems to be to hold the back armour in and seems to be some sort of woven stretchy fabric.
The trousers also have a quilted inner lining for when it’s cold.
I have found that a good way to tell with the effectiveness of a jacket is to take it out in a cold wind and see what you can feel through it as if the wind can get through then I assume water will and even on the coldest days I find mine pretty snug. If your a big lump then take a ride down to north notts and take my jacket for a spin, your more than welcome. I know that what I find good and what other people accept are different so feel free to try it if you want.

Guys I’m lost a bit on the RST adventure gear waterproof removable lining description, it’s slightly off putting does that mean the outer shell material gets soggy?

On any jacket/trousers with a removable waterproof layer the outer will get wet/soggy, only the laminated suits run water off with no soak in. RST gear is the best of the lower priced gear IMHO, in the years before forking out for a laminate, to prolong the soak in I used to treat the outer shell with spray on Fabsil tent waterproofer.

the outer layer is treated with a compound that makes water run off - this stuff eventually reduces in effectiveness but an annual treatment with something like Nikwax TX Direct will replenish the effect.

Thanks for all your help guys. So rightly or wrongly I’m biting the bullet and going for RST paragon gear jacket and pro series pants both of which are discounted (well within my budget). for my little trips to bonny but prob wet Scotland this backend to see families and friends, it’ll dae as they say there. But the best news I had yesterday is my Linda’s cancer check came back clear puts me biking probs in perspective.

Great news fishy and it put EVERYTHING in perspective, I obviously don't know you or your Linda but I'll raise a glass to ya both :beerjug:

Thanks for all your help guys. So rightly or wrongly I’m biting the bullet and going for RST paragon gear jacket and pro series pants both of which are discounted (well within my budget). for my little trips to bonny but prob wet Scotland this backend to see families and friends, it’ll dae as they say there. But the best news I had yesterday is my Linda’s cancer check came back clear puts me biking probs in perspective.
Top choice, let me know how you get on with it and what you think, always interested. Also top news about the cancer, all the best

It's catching! Your SO is the second one this weekend to get good news from the oncologist. Have a wee dram.

Thanks for those kind thoughts all of you, yes the world seems brighter now IS brighter now ( even though it’s raining here but who cares)

Hey Fishy,

I'm assuming you're all sorted, only just spotted this thread, but if you ever need any riding gear, drop us a message when you've settled on your choice - we'll always see what we can do on the price for you - we deal with 99% of brands so as long as we can make a few quid, I'd rather you buy from us :)

Hope you enjoy the RST paragon gear... it's incredibly good value for money, especially with the deals us retailers are doing on the "none CE" items... they're practically the same in honesty... just clearing through old stock as a new law will be stopping manufacturers selling none CE gear by April 2019 (proposed date)

Happy riding
Kind Regards
Jamie
Moto Central.

Alpinestars are reasonably priced and do some good touring gear

Dainese are slightly more expensive but good

Richa an Revit are good value for money

Avoid Ixon, it’s shite
Cant speak for the others but I can't help but feel you might want to update your view on Alpine Star gear... well definitely about their trousers anyway.

I came on here looking for advice / suggestions/ recommendations anmd whatever others were saying about the merits of various makes of waterproof trousers.

I am used to so called waterproof bike trousers for decades leaking a little at the crotch on both my R1200 GS and various versions of ther F650 .....I put it down the seat position and that water pools in the crotch seat tank area whilst you're sat and in those circumstances I accept water will get in eventually ... thats including various makes of trousers including Frank Thomas. But those Alpine Star's well suffice to say that is not a brand I will be using again.

A pair of brand new Alpine Star trousers was bought for me as a gift. Consequently all the labels had been remove... some women seem to do that I don't know why.... (maybe a cause of whole thread somewhere else) I haven't worn them often and of course I had worn them in the rain ....without mishap ... but not in a deluge until...I was caught in that very heavy rain the other day (september 19th (i think) flooding everywhere not just South Yorkshire and nearly as bad as 2007) I had not gone a mile before my legs were completely soaked it felt as though water was getting in everywhere by the time I had got into Sheffiled centre 2 maybe 2 1/2 miles away with little if any delay, I had water pooling and sloshing about in my boots.

Anyway I just thought I'd mention why I've done with Alpine Star permanently. I'll certainly have a look at the some of the other reasonably priced gear mentioned in this thread.

I don’t know, my main jacket is an Alpinestars Valparaiso which is pretty good and very well vented

Having said that I’ve just done a week around Italy and only wore my Triumph branded mesh jacket (on a GS :cool:)

My trousers are Dainese new drake air so not supposed to be waterproof

I use a pair of cheap as chips over trousers bought from a sports shop when it rains and they are totally waterproof :thumb2

The choice of gear is endless and everyone has their preferences

I think guys I’ll settle for RST they have some good bargains ( I think maybe companies getting rid of pre CE stock) just because it’s not fully CE complient, whatever that means. Another EU rant I suppose. Oh for the good old days of “I’ll take the risk thank you”

Cant speak for the others but I can't help but feel you might want to update your view on Alpine Star gear... well definitely about their trousers anyway.

I came on here looking for advice / suggestions/ recommendations anmd whatever others were saying about the merits of various makes of waterproof trousers.

I am used to so called waterproof bike trousers for decades leaking a little at the crotch on both my R1200 GS and various versions of ther F650 .....I put it down the seat position and that water pools in the crotch seat tank area whilst you're sat and in those circumstances I accept water will get in eventually ... thats including various makes of trousers including Frank Thomas. But those Alpine Star's well suffice to say that is not a brand I will be using again.

A pair of brand new Alpine Star trousers was bought for me as a gift. Consequently all the labels had been remove... some women seem to do that I don't know why.... (maybe a cause of whole thread somewhere else) I haven't worn them often and of course I had worn them in the rain ....without mishap ... but not in a deluge until...I was caught in that very heavy rain the other day (september 19th (i think) flooding everywhere not just South Yorkshire and nearly as bad as 2007) I had not gone a mile before my legs were completely soaked it felt as though water was getting in everywhere by the time I had got into Sheffiled centre 2 maybe 2 1/2 miles away with little if any delay, I had water pooling and sloshing about in my boots.

Anyway I just thought I'd mention why I've done with Alpine Star permanently. I'll certainly have a look at the some of the other reasonably priced gear mentioned in this thread.

From your description, the Alpinestars trousers may not have been a waterproof trouser at all..........maybe some sort of a summer pant bought in error. I have never heard of a supposedly waterproof garment fail in such a way so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom