Best of the cheapest

Deleted account 190920002

Reaction score
Well my 12 year old riding suit has finally given up ( well the zips and Velcro) I’m looking at the lower end as unfortunately Rukka et al is way out of reach. Chatted to a guy in Oban a while back who raved about wolf gear ( they have deals on) also one of his mates had RST gear which looked nice. Also because I’m a sort of carer for my Linda travels of yor are all out, so something that will be ok for my shortened little trips would be ok. Any ideas? I nearly inherited an Aldi getup but it looked and felt odd, but it would have been a freebie.

Hi fishy23. I have mates that use RST/Wolf gear and swear by it. I find its all a personal compromise. When I started my biking many many moons ago the gear lasted bloody years, 'agreed' it wasn't as waterproof/protective as todays materials but we made do....Bloody hell, we were more concerned at reaching our destination without to many breakdowns.
Get the cheapest you can thats comfortable with the most protection, a cheap rain suit and your suited....all at a fraction of your Rukka...Klim prices :beerjug:

Jacal thanks for info that’s the track I’ll go down. Yep I did trips to the grandpops in Caithness with, I think it was waxed cotton belstaff and survived. I think stuff now is a sort of fashion accessory, but I’m like you I grew up with make do and mend.

Look on FC Moto or louis.de sites and it is often possible to pick up end of line Rukka etc for RST prices, if not look at HELD gear as it is good quality at a reasonable price .

Alternately have a look online at Get Geared

Today until 5th September there is a 20% off RRP sale (or 10% off advertised price) on FC Moto

Have a look at Rev'it Horizon 2.....it's laminated so no need for outer rain layer, comes with level 2 protection and it won't break the bank.

Lad on here from Moto Central doing very good prices on Rev'it Horizon 2 (very, very good)

Sent from a U11

I'd say Revit (Lucid or Enterprise etc) or Held (4-Touring or Zorro etc) gear, with their own brand laminated membrane. Try and avoid a removable waterproof layer as this means the jacket isn't really waterproof.

Getgeared have some cash off gear at the moment.

D.

Thanks guys deksawyer I’d forgotten about that I’m looking at the RST paragon suit it’s on offer for £199.
I’ll speak to them and get more info on the material etc. A guy local has a wolf titanium outlook jacket for sale but it’s £180 which seems a bit steep.

I had a Wolf outlast suit a few years ago - didn't like it as it was a funny fit - arms too long, legs too long and a bit baggy...

I bought some discounted Weise stuff from Fowlers and it has worked well. Sadly not available now but I would buy the brand again. Jacket was an amazing £60 which included CE armour.

Held is another decent brand. For £350 you can get a decent suit from FC Moto - both have 5* reviews
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...ucts/Held-Gamble/SubProducts/Held-Gamble-0004
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...ts/Held-Black-8/SubProducts/Held-Black-8-0001
Jacket does not have a CE level 2 back protector but you may have one to recycle from your current jacket. Your budget would allow you to buy one if needed.
FC Moto are great to deal with.

wessie the held stuff seems good there is more tech in the bottom end of gear than I thought. It’s been a hot summer and what seems like good ( to me) is that rst and wolf have good vented jackets and pants. I suppose everyone to his own it’s like offshore gear used to be like the more you pay the more finesse is built in. I’ve only, well since retiring had good quality hand me downs which have served the purpose.

Ed that looks good, so guys youve made a short list for me, I’ve sort of gone off wolf after a couple of reviews but will take a further look and check reviews for all the mentioned kit over the weekend. Once again thanks to all.

Don't forget eBay and used gear.

I bought an Alpinestars Tech Road Goretex Pro suit for £350. Should have been £1200.

Absolute bargain as it really was 'as new'. Guy had worn it twice, then gave up biking.

This'll be my 3rd winter in it now.

RST paragon 5 best stuff I’ve ever owned, been out in the cold and always been toasty, been out in the hot and kept cool but most of all ridden through torrential downpours on the continent and kept me dry. It’s well within budget and if I needed new gear tomorrow it would be my first choice.

Back
Top Bottom