PIRELLI SCORPION STR RALLY TYRES

Markyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of the Pirelli Scorpion STR RALLY tyres on the LC GS and if they could let me know their opinion.

Thanks mark

Does anyone have experience of the Pirelli Scorpion STR RALLY tyres on the LC GS and if they could let me know their opinion.

Thanks mark

Yes - to put simply I have found them to be the best tyre I've used on my LC GSA.

I have also tried the following: Anakee3, Michelin PR3, Conti TCX70

The STR Rally's which I currently have on at the moment. I put them on just as the Beast From the East hit in February. The have squared off the least of any of the above I've used, given the most confidence in ALL weather from freezing Russian temps of the Beast to the scorching summer we've been enjoying. They still look like they will do another 2k miles, I normally change at every service 6,000 as I do a fair amount of milage, but I am going to leave these on to get the proper wear use out of them as they are so confidence inspiring.

THEY ARE VERY LOUD!!!! I love the tyres and will be fitting another set once these are done, but it would be wrong of me not to mention they are VERY LOUD. People who complain about Anakee 3's being loud should not go anywhere near these! They are fine up to about 40mph, but after that they get louder and louder till a constant scream at motorway speeds. I wear and Arai Tour lid and custom ear plugs and have an akro with baffles out, but the over riding noise is still the tyres! Personally its a compromise I am willing to make given the confidence they inspire in all weather with the added capability of being decent on dryish green lanes (like most un-dedicated tyres, with a bike this big they struggle in deep mud, but I think thats to be expected).

So, if you can live with the noise, lace a pair up and enjoy!

Yes - to put simply I have found them to be the best tyre I've used on my LC GSA.
THEY ARE VERY LOUD!!!!
So, if you can live with the noise, lace a pair up and enjoy!

I knew exactly what my next tyres were til I read this! Is it just a land rover whine (which I can live with) or that awful white noise coming up through the gap where the forks are (which I can't)?

I don't notice it personally, but I wear plugs and listen to music

There the best all round tyre I have had on any GS

I am now on my 5th rear and third front

My rear has now done 4000miles, still got another 1000 in it, it would have done more but it did a lot of motorway miles in Europe that killed the centre a bit.

I knew exactly what my next tyres were til I read this! Is it just a land rover whine (which I can live with) or that awful white noise coming up through the gap where the forks are (which I can't)?

Its that Land Rover whine, but sounds louder on the bike.....I got used to it, but thought remiss of me not to mention it as definitely there.

Rob

Thank you for your comments. I really appreciate it.

Its that Land Rover whine, but sounds louder on the bike.....I got used to it, but thought remiss of me not to mention it as definitely there.

Rob

Thanks, appreciate the update. I don't mind the whine, it's the white noise from between the forks I'm hoping to lose.

Mine have now done over 5500miles and still not down to the wear bars, rode it 150miles In the rain today and still good grip, got the traction control to cut in when in rain mode but had to abuse it to get it to cut in. Really rate these tyres, doubt they’re any good off road in the wet or the mud but for me they are the ideal tyre.

Totally agree with that, but I’ve no interest in mud plugging with my GS, but these have more “dirt” grip than a normal road tyre and last twice as long as a tk80 and grip more on the road which is where I ride 95% of the time.

Totally agree with that, but I’ve no interest in mud plugging with my GS, but these have more “dirt” grip than a normal road tyre and last twice as long as a tk80 and grip more on the road which is where I ride 95% of the time.

Indeed, based on what the OP has posted else where on the forum, these would seem be a very bad choice, but it sounds like they are a very sensible choice for you.

I would happily do dry trails with them, gravel and the like but soon as the surface starts gets wet and starts to clog between the blocks you’d be stuffed.

I would happily do dry trails with them, gravel and the like but soon as the surface starts gets wet and starts to clog between the blocks you’d be stuffed.

Do you find them as noisy as Annakee 3 on the road as someone else has suggested?

I don’t find them noisy but I wear plugs and sport a full akro, now putting another one on while I type.
5ef8b595d1e3eaef50a620a6c86b59ad.jpg

Back
Top Bottom