An expensive lesson.....

RSInterloper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I naturally chose the wettest day (Sunday) of the bank holiday weekend for stage 1 of my journey to south west France (Cardiff - Rouen via tunnel). By the time I reached the M20 the Nav VI screen was flashing on and off and I noticed with horror that there appeared to be water inside the screen on the left hand side and along the bottom. By the time I was in France I had no screen at all but was still receiving occasional voice instructions, and with only a few odd diversions finally made it to my hotel stop.

After a large beer and dinner I had a look at the Nav. As I lifted it up water ran out of a gap between the top of the battery cover (the end without the screws) and the case - where of course there shouldn't be a gap :eek:

By now the water has spread across the entire screen, the battery plug was "tight" and on trying to disconnect it the whole thing came away from some very green looking corroded wires on the board beneath....yes, it was well and truly fucked.

I'm pretty sure that I put the cover back on properly when I put the SD card in a year or so ago. I can only think that when the Nav fell onto a carpeted floor some time ago it might have "popped" the cover, but who knows?

So lesson learned - check that the cover is seated properly before setting off :rolleyes:

As an aside - my BMW "2 in 1" gloves....

Last edited by a moderator:
If your looking for somewhere to rehome your dead Nav VI :)

i fancy a challenge ;)

Santa - the dead one is no more I'm afraid. But the screen appeared to be a "unit" and I couldn't see a way to dis-assemble it in order to get the water out. Lots of what looked like "electrolytically accelerated" corrosion elsewhere as well, as the battery had remained connected.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom