SAS 1290 a few questions

Timbo1965

Reaction score
1: After a 200 mile trip fully loaded with top and side cases fitted. It was a bit twisty and quick. The standard front tyre has what my mate described as "cold tear" marks on it. It's done 2500 miles and has lots left, but is it better to change it ? I have a two week tour of Spain coming up and I don't want to take any risks.
2: The rear tyre picked up a nail and we plugged it by the side of the road. I reckon it's ok to fix it, but if not, any recommendations for tyres or do I stay with the standard Scorpion trial tyres. I might have to bite the bullet and put a new pair on.
3: In a moment of madness i ordered the KTM side cases with the bike as I wanted a cleaner look than my old GSA with all the scafolding. They're not very good in my opinion. Do they have a reasonable second hand value ? I might want to sell them and get something better. Any recommendations for a decent replacement.

The Pirelli Scorpion front tyre has been known to have the tread peeling off. I had mine replaced FOC by my dealer, as have a few others.

I changed to Continental Road Attack 3’s. Great tyres.

1: After a 200 mile trip fully loaded with top and side cases fitted. It was a bit twisty and quick. The standard front tyre has what my mate described as "cold tear" marks on it. It's done 2500 miles and has lots left, but is it better to change it ? I have a two week tour of Spain coming up and I don't want to take any risks.
2: The rear tyre picked up a nail and we plugged it by the side of the road. I reckon it's ok to fix it, but if not, any recommendations for tyres or do I stay with the standard Scorpion trial tyres. I might have to bite the bullet and put a new pair on.
3: In a moment of madness i ordered the KTM side cases with the bike as I wanted a cleaner look than my old GSA with all the scafolding. They're not very good in my opinion. Do they have a reasonable second hand value ? I might want to sell them and get something better. Any recommendations for a decent replacement.

re tyre, return to dealer, the tyre manufacturer should replace FOC if tyre has deteriorated as you say.
re boxes, I have holan nomada system, much lighter and slightly narrower better for filtering. capacity is down but not by as much as you might think!
re tyre repair, I did a roadside repair last year, the tyre had loads of tread left and the puncture was in the tread pattern rather than near sidewall. The tyre was replaced when worn down, I was impressed at the way the repair plug held,
it showed up as a sort of "mark" on the tyre outer surface more as the tyre wore, but I was happy it was secure, as you can see from the attached foto!

Attachments

• Tyre repair inside view.JPG
    Tyre repair inside view.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 213
re tyre, return to dealer, the tyre manufacturer should replace FOC if tyre has deteriorated as you say.
Nothing to do with the manufacturer. Your contract is with the dealer who sold it to you, he should replace it if faulty.

Nothing to do with the manufacturer. Your contract is with the dealer who sold it to you, he should replace it if faulty.

first port of call is the dealer, sure, then he will send it back to manufacturer for checking.....(technically you are correct but in the real world dealer will always refer it to manufacturer....just go with the flow!)

first port of call is the dealer, sure, then he will send it back to manufacturer for checking.....(technically you are correct but in the real world dealer will always refer it to manufacturer....just go with the flow!)
Maybe, but never be put off by a vendor quoting the manufacturer. If the thing is faulty, not as advertised, not fit for purpose or not of merchantable quality then the retailer, not the manufacturer, holds the responsibility.

You have a relationship with the retailer and he with the manufacturer. Don't be fobbed off.

+1 for the Road Attacks - I am on my second rear and really rate them.
However, sticking with the Scorpions could be OK, especially if the OE ones for KTM are special (not same as you'd get from a tyre dealer).
My mate tried the RA 3s on his SAS and has gone back to the Scorpions and prefers them.

On the cases, I have a set of SW Motech racks with AERO side cases which I was thinking of selling as my Mrs doesn't come touring anymore. RACK PICS HERE and CASES PICS HERE
The frames come off with 1/2 turn quick release fixings and the bike has less hardware left in place with them removed that the OE mounts - so it is a very tidy solution.

Mine are brand new and unused, so PM if you're interested in gaining from my lack of use and making a substantial saving over buying from the shops :aidan

+1 for the Road Attacks - I am on my second rear and really rate them.
However, sticking with the Scorpions could be OK, especially if the OE ones for KTM are special (not same as you'd get from a tyre dealer).
My mate tried the RA 3s on his SAS and has gone back to the Scorpions and prefers them.

On the cases, I have a set of SW Motech racks with AERO side cases which I was thinking of selling as my Mrs doesn't come touring anymore. RACK PICS HERE and CASES PICS HERE
The frames come off with 1/2 turn quick release fixings and the bike has less hardware left in place with them removed that the OE mounts - so it is a very tidy solution.

Mine are brand new and unused, so PM if you're interested in gaining from my lack of use and making a substantial saving over buying from the shops :aidan

Thanks, but I'm going back to Aly boxes if I change them. That'll be next years project. Tyres first and then off to Spain

Thanks, I've done some research. For peace of mind I'm going for a set of Conti RA3's. They have a good rep and I've used them before. I'll get the old rear fixed and kept as a spare. I'll also keep the front and throw it back to the dealer and see what they say.

The Pirelli Scorpion front tyre has been known to have the tread peeling off. I had mine replaced FOC by my dealer, as have a few others.

I changed to Continental Road Attack 3’s. Great tyres.
Only the k spec tyre is known to do this (had in on 2 k spec tyre
Where as none on 4 sets of universal spec)
The universal spec doesn't,

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Thanks, but I'm going back to Aly boxes if I change them. That'll be next years project. Tyres first and then off to Spain

OK mate - no issues and enjoy Spain :D

Something to maybe consider when you come back is that SW Motech stuff has a bike specific rack which will accept a variety of panniers depending on personal preference.
So if you're interested we can have a conversation about the racks on their own and I'll hold on to the panniers for my next bike...

Back
Top Bottom