Tyres

rhinoshide@gmail.com

Reaction score
Hi,

R100GS PD 1989 Red and White.

The bike lives in a hot place 45°C + at the moment, cooling off to 15°C (min) in winter.

No deep sand and no mud. Hard packed surface with small stony surface sometimes. Mainly road use 70/30 split.

I wanted some advice on tyres.

I'm running AVON Distanzia at the moment.

What would be a good tyre for the environment?

I like the look of the TKC 80 knobbly tyres and I like the Trail Attack 2 road tyres.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Metzler Enduro 3 Sahara might be worth a try.

I have them on my 1988 PD , but apart from this warm summer I don't live in 45 c climate generally.

A good on road tyre with a level of off road capability suited to your description.:D

I am running TKC70 which so for has been very good but I only have limited mileage. I am running Avon trail riders on a S10 Yamaha which is much heavier but a very good tyre but I believe someone had trouble on a R100gs Para with the wide of the 130 wide tyre. Also from Avon is the Trek rider but no personal knowledge but the trailrider is extremely good.

Barny

My GSPD is on TKC 70's my 100GS is on Michelin Sirac's both very good, the Siracs are probably slightly softer than the TKC's, I've just put my G/S on TKC 70's 'cause they were sensibly priced, Avon Distanzias were very good but are no longer available I don't think.

If I don't get 10k miles out of each set I shall be disappointed all my Distanzias have done that.

I would imagine, in your climate, you don’t get much rain so I’d go for Heidenau K60. Really don’t rate TKC 80s. The road trail tyres are all good (tourance, anakee etc.) on the road but not sure about the off road. Mine runs on MT 21 front and Mitas E-09 rear which I find is the best ‘go anywhere’ combination.

Another vote for 60/40 Enduro 3 Sahara's, and my riding here in South Australia is uncannily similar to the OPs.
Excellent on bitumen, and better on our type of gravel than knobs. And of course any 80/20 like a Distansa,Tourance ,Scorpion.
My Distanzas were OK but wore out in 5500 km, the Enduro 3 get out to around 7000 km.
Knobs like the TKC 80s are if anything worse on gravel covered hard pack.
I run Michelin Anekee 3s on my old Funduro and they work surprisingly well on gravel , better than the TKs, but of course they dont look as butch. Superb on bitumen , and they keep their shape out to the end, around 15,000 km.
If long life is important Mitas E07s will get you out to around 15,000 km too,as long as you dont mind riding the last 6000km on squared off tires. Good all round but a noticeable step down in performance from the Enduro 3s.

My recommendation would be heidenau k60 scouts,
In those temps road grip would be good,( they are shit when cold/wet)
They have a very strong carcass so low risk of puncture/ damage
Good reports of mileage.
Fairly good off road( at least as good as any other manufacturer)
Having fitted and ridden them,that’s what I would fit for continued use on tracks in warmer climates

I tried the Scouts and they are OK, around the same as the Mitas E07, but the Enduro 3 just seems to suit my bikes , the roads I ride on , and my riding style better.
And the Enduro 3s come in sizes to fit my G/S too.
i have found aggressive knobby tires little advantage on gravel covered hardpack, what seems to work better is something like the Anekee 3 which has a groove narrow enough to trap some of the gravel and form and form an instant knob.
Dunlop 606s were the worst I had, shredded in 900km on the Funduro and useless everywhere except deep sand and mud.
Don't do sand or mud on the airheads---------------.

Tkc 70 is a good tyre,I have them on all of my bikes,
But,it’s a road tyre,the carcass is quite lightweight and flexible,
I’m led to believe it’s pretty much the same carcass as a trail attack.
I think in a hot climate,on stony trails ,they would be prone to punctures.
I’d fit something with a heavier duty construction.

+1 for K60 Scouts - very high mileage

Given that Mitas make Conti tires the TK 70 is probably the same carcass as a E08, and they are definitely on a road carcass.
I have E08s on my GS and the are excellent on bitumen but dont work nearly as well on gravel as the Enduro 3s.
Don't know why but theE08s are the only tire I wear out two fronts to one rear.

Given that Mitas make Conti tires the TK 70 is probably the same carcass as a E08, and they are definitely on a road carcass.
I have E08s on my GS and the are excellent on bitumen but dont work nearly as well on gravel as the Enduro 3s.
Don't know why but theE08s are the only tire I wear out two fronts to one rear.
I think the days are gone where it was two rears to a front,
Softer compounds,coupled with your warmer climate.:confused:

Well it won’t be the powerful brakes on the GS wearing the front out:)

On the GS I have a floating 320mm disk and I run EBC HH pads in a six pot with a 11mm M/C so there is a bit of a reaction when I give the lever a good tug.
Which is not often - I actually have to do a couple of practice panic stops most runs to keep the pads from glazing over. One as soon as possible after starting out in case I have had a seniors moment and sprayed the brake pads with WD40 or whatever, and one just before I arrive home to warm up and perhaps dry the disks.

Sahara 3s for me as well....took the GSPD over the Pyrenees this year and after having great results on the g/s decided to go this way. We took the back roads and trails....nothing technical, just unmade roads similar to the description to the OP. Not the same heat BUT similar roads. I liked the 3s because they are ok in the wet as well BUT they do set up a bit of a vibe at certain speeds....nothing unpleasant though.

I've ordered Sahara 3 recently with intention of doing so e thing in Pyrenees or Picos next year. Was hard to find tubeless in front fitting but seems to have been a temporary supply problem.

Back
Top Bottom