R80RT Mono side stand options (wanted)

gog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for a decent side stand to replace the rubbish factory one on my airhead. Have read that brown ones are good, though not sure if those are twin shock only, and seem to be rare.

Does anyone have an recommendations, or perhaps something to sell?

Bike is an '86 mono R80RT.

Cheers
Gordon

Gog, I didnt know what sort of footpegs a RT has.
The rear fixing of the FT stand fixes to the peg pivot bolt and the front one is drilled and taped for the rear engine mount so the RT pegs would have to be identical to and in the same location as the G/S and S/T ones, and I dont think I have ever seen a R80RT mono in Oz to compare.
Price has gone up since I bought mine, but I made my own for my R100GS and there is a bit more work in them than you might think.

Cheapest option - use the existing stand by putting it down AFTER you get off the bike. Simples.

Next cheapest option - Surefoot side stand, I believe Motorworks may still sell them.

Best option - Migstand.

Cheapest option - use the existing stand by putting it down AFTER you get off the bike. Simples.

Next cheapest option - Surefoot side stand, I believe Motorworks may still sell them.

Best option - Migstand.

Not so simple(s-ugh), if you have luggage on.

With you on the Migstand.

Bamw do a kit for the Gs that relocates the spring so the stand stays down rather than springing back,I think it also has a bracket to make it easier to reach with your foot.
The kit may well fit the rt.
I’d just fit a surefoot!
The problem with all of these as you are prob aware is the bikes have no cutouts or safety switches .
Mind you,,you will only forget to retract it the once:D

Not quite sure what that lot achieves.
Cut the motor once you’ve punted yourself 8 ft skyward:D

Just enables you to put down the standard sidestand while still on the bike.

It'll spring back up as soon as the weight's off it as usual.

Heath Robinson would be proud

One of the good things about the Flying Teapot stand is that it is mounted well back, so that if you do leave it down it tends to kick the back out more than the front.
Another is that it doesn't depend on the exhaust pipe to keep it in place.
When I made my stand for my GS I added a cut out switch from a Jap wrecker. Found one with same bullet connectors as the neutral switch line so fitted into the line without altering the wiring and lets me start in neutral with the stand down , but cuts out if it is put in gear.

Mind you,,you will only forget to retract it the once:D

The safety switch on my 1100 failed half way up an alp in the middle of nowhere. Bypassed it and an hour later, after stopping at the top of the grimsel pass, set off with the stand down. first left turn sees me shit myself and almost end up over the side of a long, long drop. luckily i wasnt going very fast and stayed upright.

I still havnt fixed the switch. Putting the side stand away is now kind of muscle memory when i set off. Have not forgotten since.

Long story short, I don't really care if the airhead stand doesn't have a switch. The surefoot looks to be favourite, and well enough priced.

Back
Top Bottom