Advice needed guys please?

Format

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just been to Alan Jefferies at Shipley today to ask about a trade in for my bike.

It is a 2010 R1200GS TC with 10,000 miles on the clock.

The bike had been with them for over a month getting "fixed" as it has been stood in my shed for over 5-6 years as I have been in and out of hospital and was told I could not ride. I did not have a crash btw.

Even though I had it "winter prepped" by them many moons ago, my shed unbeknown to me started leaking and the rust, all cosmetic, started.

I rang them asking what would be the best thing to do and they said is get it back on the road.

After a bill of £1200 later, a full oil, drive shaft, balancing and MOT I decided that today would be a good day to attend and see what I could get for it as I was thinking about a LC on part exchange.

I wanted to know if I am better placed to buy now or bite the bullet and keep it until she dies.

They have offered £3500.

Is this taking the Pi$$.

I am far from an expert but I am toying with the idea of upgrading from F8GS to F12GS and have been looking at prices. I'd say it does seem a bit low comparing to what I've seen so far; but I suppose it depends how bad the "cosmetic" rust is. It is all about desirability and how much it would take them to prep and re-sell it...

I suppose the best way to put it... f i had the opportunity to buy a decent 2010 R1200GS with 10k on the clock for 3.5k cash ... I'd do it. :)

Good to hear you are on the mend, though. Good luck. :thumb

Is it still rusty? Or was that sorted in the £1200 bill?

Keep it ride it polish it Arguably the best bike wmb made ;)

If it is pristine, it is perhaps worth £6,500 in a private sale, I think,

But - maybe consider that they simply don’t want your bike? By that I mean that they would have to move it onto someone else in the trade, and simply not worth the while?

Think all the bikes on pcp or whatever they are called has knocked the trade in value of older bikes they will be soon full of W/c 1200 gs/as when the 1250 comes on the market

I’d keep it... especially as you have just spent £1200 on it. Dealers have a coin to earn and will always bid you low, and so many people accept it, because they ‘want’ . Lose the ‘want’ and go ride it somewhere lovely with the money you will have saved

At that money ,,, as others have said ,, keep it these TC bikes are good machines ,OK the newer ones are incrementally better but IMHO not worth all the extra ££
Use the cash for some trips instead ,, these are the things " of real worth" :thumb2

If it has corrosion,the dealer cannot retail the bike .
It will go for auction or a trade sale.
In the trade,the bike is prob only worth the offer price.
You can soon spend a few £k restoring a corroded 1200
Subframe r+r 5hrs@£50ph(cheap)£250 +£80 powder
Heads barrels 6hrs£300 plus £200 powder
Wheel refurb£500 for spokey wheels
You can see where this is going.
A dealer really cannot be arsed with it,hence the price
To an individual as a private sale who might be happy to either ride it or have weekend shed time it would be worth a fair bit more,
Keep it or eBay.

if you couldn't / wouldn't ride the 'old' one ...it'll be the same with the 'new' one..!

Back
Top Bottom