Put A Value On This For Me Please

You lot have been saying for years that PCP kills the second hand value of bikes, but as someone that normally buys my bikes outright, I’ve always got a good price back, come trade in time. I’ve also sold used bikes on here, for cash, with no issues. Bloody scaremongers. :rob

Before you throw in the towel, why not try some advanced motorcycle training?

This may help put some of the fun back in after such a long lay off and enable you to relax and enjoy it! - it will also give you a reason to use the bike with purpose.

You lot have been saying for years that PCP kills the second hand value of bikes, but as someone that normally buys my bikes outright, I’ve always got a good price back, come trade in time. I’ve also sold used bikes on here, for cash, with no issues. Bloody scaremongers. :rob

As have I - and on here. However in the last couple of years I think fewer and fewer people are buying outright in the first place, and as Blackal says - even fewer have £14K ready cash to spend on what is a leisure item for most. As it happens, the physio has started to work wonders on my back, so I’ve decided to keep my GS. Great bike it is too :thumb

As have I - and on here. However in the last couple of years I think fewer and fewer people are buying outright in the first place, and as Blackal says - even fewer have £14K ready cash to spend on what is a leisure item for most. As it happens, the physio has started to work wonders on my back, so I’ve decided to keep my GS. Great bike it is too :thumb

Maybe I’m missing a trick then. I’m changing my bike next year, so should I stick the money in the bank and finance it?

Maybe I’m missing a trick then. I’m changing my bike next year, so should I stick the money in the bank and finance it?

On a pcp you are just funding the depreciation (+5.9% interest) - so if keeping your capital intact is important then that is another angle

On a pcp you are just funding the depreciation (+5.9% interest) - so if keeping your capital intact is important then that is another angle

Which is why my Rallye is on PCP - whilst it costs me in the long term my Capital is safe as I save for retirement.

At the 36 month point I trade/hand back or pay off - I’ve done this a few times on cars and bikes - works for me!

Which is why my Rallye is on PCP - whilst it costs me in the long term my Capital is safe as I save for retirement.

At the 36 month point I trade/hand back or pay off - I’ve done this a few times on cars and bikes - works for me!

Good points

Is the insurance for the bike in the PCP, that would make it more interesting.

What’s that old quote? Buy appreciating assets, lease depreciating assets. Given how much you buy and sell (and me for that matter) maybe it’s better value in the long run? Cash used to be king, but when something like 90% of all new cars in the U.K. are PCP, maybe we’re the mugs?

Also - I do not view it as debt - just a financed asset - the only debt is the difference between asset value and balance owned which of course is tapered.

If you “work” the merry go round you can also chop and change with little cost as the manufacturers keep incentivising you to buy new - also I’ve found that 1 year old bikes are easily traded up with minimal cost to change.

The “problem” comes when you want to stop....normally a hand back or termination/ worst case is to refinance the ballon

My take on pcp I have a two year old gsa Lc tb 12 k service just done by bmw so if I thought let's sell and get the latest all singing starship what would it cost
I own my bike so av price for a Lc tb is 14-14.5 k
Got a good deal when parting with cash bike cost 16.9 without the extras so
2 k lost
Now pcp 16.9 AV payment is £200 X 24 £4800 so how is pcp better than paying cash ??

My take on pcp I have a two year old gsa Lc tb 12 k service just done by bmw so if I thought let's sell and get the latest all singing starship what would it cost
2 k lost
Now pcp 16.9 AV payment is £200 X 24 £4800 so how is pcp better than paying cash ??

Simple answer - it gets people who either do not have the money, or they have the money tied up in other investments - a new bike.

However - this thread isnt about whether it is right or wrong- but what effect if any, it has on s/h values.

Simple answer - it gets people who either do not have the money, or they have the money tied up in other investments - a new bike.

However - this thread isnt about whether it is right or wrong- but what effect if any, it has on s/h values.

I understand what this thread is all about it’s about the op asking the value of his bike and the second hand values pcp is putting a lot of downward pressure on the market as bmw dealership cannot refuse to take them back so in one way I am saying that I put up the money so will eventually get rear ended by the dealer as he has no obligation to take it

Fecking hell, this all makes my head spin.

I'll admit I am shit at finances (as discussed here) and just have one very simple approach;

The only debt I have ever had has been my mortgage. I did everything I could to pay it off asap.

I now have no debt at all. Nada. Everything I buy I buy outright. If I can't afford it I either save up or I don't buy it.

I do however spend money if/when I have it. Some people think frivolously. Feck it, I may be dead tomorrow.

Feck PCP and the merry go round it gets a lot of people into. Into too deep.

Andres

Edit: And before anybody says that's not relevant to the discussion, well, I believe it is. The OP was suckered into getting back into bikes by thinking that the latest, greatest, most expensive bike would scratch his itch and clearly it hasn't........ Consumerism at it best (worst) :thumb
Bet he would've had more fun on a 150 MZ Scrambler but then that just doesn't hold any kudos in the world of having to have the biggest and best does it..............

Fecking hell, this all makes my head spin.

I'll admit I am shit at finances (as discussed here) and just have one very simple approach;

The only debt I have ever had has been my mortgage. I did everything I could to pay it off asap.

I now have no debt at all. Nada. Everything I buy I buy outright. If I can't afford it I either save up or I don't buy it.

I do however spend money if/when I have it. Some people think frivolously. Feck it, I may be dead tomorrow.

Feck PCP and the merry go round it gets a lot of people into. Into too deep.

Andres
I totally agree society is more about have now and pay later that’s why we are trillions in debt so like you if I don’t have the money I cannot buy it

You lost the Vat the moment you rode out the showroom ..that’s £3200 for a start...

I reckon £14.5k for a 2 YO 12k bike is optimistic.

2 k lost

You lost the Vat the moment you rode out the showroom ..that’s £3200 for a start...

I reckon £14.5k for a 2 YO 12k bike is optimistic.

you might be right but I like my bike so it was an if just as a comparison who cares anyway

Back
Top Bottom