Put A Value On This For Me Please

you might be right but I like my bike so it was an if just as a comparison who cares anyway

A quick look at Autotrader shows 2016 GSA,s listed at £12.5 - £13.5k....these are sell prices at main dealers.....sad to say, you’ve lost the same £4K as the PCP brigade...

Fecking hell, this all makes my head spin.

I'll admit I am shit at finances (as discussed here) and just have one very simple approach;

The only debt I have ever had has been my mortgage. I did everything I could to pay it off asap.

I now have no debt at all. Nada. Everything I buy I buy outright. If I can't afford it I either save up or I don't buy it.

I do however spend money if/when I have it. Some people think frivolously. Feck it, I may be dead tomorrow.

Feck PCP and the merry go round it gets a lot of people into. Into too deep.

Andres

Edit: And before anybody says that's not relevant to the discussion, well, I believe it is. The OP was suckered into getting back into bikes by thinking that the latest, greatest, most expensive bike would scratch his itch and clearly it hasn't........ Consumerism at it best (worst) :thumb
Bet he would've had more fun on a 150 MZ Scrambler but then that just doesn't hold any kudos in the world of having to have the biggest and best does it..............

I couldn’t agree more. The only money I owe is on the mortgage, and that’ll be gone in a few years. I hate finance, and saved up to buy my car without finance. If I don’t have the money to buy something I want, I won’t buy it. Simple.

Buying a bike on finance goes against everything I believe in, but if there are 0% deals when the time comes to change, would I be a fool to not bank the money and take advantage?

Many pages later,, no posts from the o/p,,��

He’s sold it....

I haven't - this is an interesting thread and I continue to follow it.

I asked for a value as I'm not very knowledgeable in actual realised GSA figures and needed some info for if/when I approached the supplying dealer for a buy back - I understand they will want it cheap/may not want it at all etc etc.

The actual issue, which has been touched upon on here now, is whether I keep it or give up biking again (can't believe I'm saying that, but there you go).

I haven't - this is an interesting thread and I continue to follow it.

I asked for a value as I'm not very knowledgeable in actual realised GS figures and needed some info for if/when I approached the supplying dealer for a buy back - I understand they will want it cheap/may not want it at all etc etc.

The actual issue, which has been touched upon on here now, is whether I keep it or give up biking again (can't believe I'm saying that, but there you go).

get out for a ride while the weather is good, a couple of days on your bike will let you know if you still enjoy it or not.

Edit: . The OP was suckered into getting back into bikes by thinking that the latest, greatest, most expensive bike would scratch his itch and clearly it hasn't........ Consumerism at it best (worst) :thumb
Bet he would've had more fun on a 150 MZ Scrambler but then that just doesn't hold any kudos in the world of having to have the biggest and best does it..............

This is wide of the mark - I fancied a bike again and after a series of sports bikes thought I'd get something more upright and comfortable as I'm older now than I was then.

Regarding kudos and having to have the biggest and best - I don't think that's worthy of a reply - over to you :thumb

This is wide of the mark - I fancied a bike again and after a series of sports bikes thought I'd get something more upright and comfortable as I'm older now than I was then.

Regarding kudos and having to have the biggest and best - I don't think that's worthy of a reply - over to you :thumb

If you've lost your bike mojo then you've lost it I guess. A shame though and I still hold that you could have way more fun ('cos isn't that what bikes are about?) on something smaller, livelier and less ostentatious than a modern GS. Something that may remind yourself why you started riding bikes in the first place as it's not always about having the latest, bestest, biggest out there :nenau

Over to you :D

Andres

If you've lost your bike mojo then you've lost it I guess. A shame though and I still hold that you could have way more fun ('cos isn't that what bikes are about?) on something smaller, livelier and less ostentatious than a modern GS. Something that may remind yourself why you started riding bikes in the first place as it's not always about having the latest, bestest, biggest out there :nenau

Andres

Now that is a fact, i love having a blast on some of the old scoots, so much fun.

You lost the Vat the moment you rode out the showroom ..that’s £3200 for a start...

I reckon £14.5k for a 2 YO 12k bike is optimistic.

Can you explain how that is?

In absolute terms, and in relative terms (where no-one should pay within £3,200 of the new price)?

Can you explain how that is?

In absolute terms, and in relative terms (where no-one should pay within £3,200 of the new price)?
That's a very good question so if a car or bike cost new 20k that would be 4K vat now if a punter decided 1week later he/she did not want this vehicle then the minimum starting price should be just under 16k
I very much dought that would ever happen
The punter would be totally pissed off
Now what I see is the said vehicle would be advertised for 19k plus as new
I would love it if the above post would explain his thoughts to

That's a very good question so if a car or bike cost new 20k that would be 4K vat now if a punter decided 1week later he/she did not want this vehicle then the minimum starting price should be just under 16k
I very much dought that would ever happen
The punter would be totally pissed off
Now what I see is the said vehicle would be advertised for 19k plus as new
I would love it if the above post would explain his thoughts to

It’s bollocks, that’s what it is. ;)

I always thought that lose ‘20percent’ was just a convenient line for the trade to roll out to cover their profit margins, if you try chipping a motor back in straight away.

It’s bollocks, that’s what it is. ;)

Exactly my feeling. For the private buyer, the VAT is simply a constituent part of the total purchase price, and no different from PDI etc (or even the fcuking - engine!). It’s a sound bite from an old soak of a car-salesman, which the hard of thinking - latch on to as being a clever anecdote...... :blast

Exactly my feeling. For the private buyer, the VAT is simply a constituent part of the total purchase price, and no different from PDI etc (or even the fcuking - engine!). It’s a sound bite from an old soak of a car-salesman, which the hard of thinking - latch on to as being a clever anecdote...... :blast

I don’t recall ever losing 20% on any bike, to be honest. Buy smart, sell smart. ;)

All that might change with the KTM though! :p

Matty , I got 1 year old fully loaded GSA with 5,500 miles. Gonna advertise it - I want yours. Steve... pm me if you want.

I may be mistaken but I believe that even if the dealer buys in your say one year old GS which is still under warranty he has to pay BMW for the additional warranty to make it an approved BMW used bike with now a 2 year warranty. I was told this is or was £500 which the dealer has to allow for when doing the deal. Hence your bike is worth £500 less to the dealer.
…….. Any dealers out there?

Andres

Not a bad idea this

I bought a T120 last year and it’s become my “go to” bike, I ride it more than the GS now

Maybe get yourself a Trumpet or a Guzzi or if you prefer modern stuff get an MT or a Duke or whatever

They’re a lot easier and in a lot of ways more fun as a daily bike

Back
Top Bottom