New Honda Forza 300

Oldie

Reaction score
Collected my new Forza 300 today and had a good run home in dry, but windy, weather on a mix of motorways and B roads.

I really think that Honda have made a great bike here. It does everything well although, understandably, it doesn't have the same fun factor as smaller scoots. Well I guess that it's not meant to. It's more grown up and reminds me a lot of some of my touring motorcycles, but with the weight advantage and all the other benefits which a scooter brings. This will be perfect for my European travels.

The weather protection is excellent, helped by the electric screen, the handling first class and there's plenty of power for motorway (if not autobahn) running. At 80mph it was using just over 75% of the available rpm so not really under a great deal of stress at that speed. It's a fine all round performer. However, I found the seat became uncomfortable after a straight 2 hour ride and this is probably because it's new but there are ways round this if it persists. It has a few refinements such as traction control, keyless ignition and great underseat storage, all for £5k cash, on the road.

Having recently ridden a friends new R1200RT I couldn't help but make comparisons and it really does feel like a mini RT (to me anyway) but at a fraction of the price. I kept thinking “why buy anything else?” Honestly, it has a definite tourer feel about it.

Now, I'm new to scooters so perhaps there are plenty of other contenders out there, some even better, but I'm simply saying that this Forza is a joy to ride and I'm totally happy with my purchase.
IMG_20180907_172257150.jpg

Collected my new Forza 300 today and had a good run home in dry, but windy, weather on a mix of motorways and B roads.

I really think that Honda have made a great bike here. It does everything well although, understandably, it doesn't have the same fun factor as smaller scoots. Well I guess that it's not meant to. It's more grown up and reminds me a lot of some of my touring motorcycles, but with the weight advantage and all the other benefits which a scooter brings. This will be perfect for my European travels.

The weather protection is excellent, helped by the electric screen, the handling first class and there's plenty of power for motorway (if not autobahn) running. At 80mph it was using just over 75% of the available rpm so not really under a great deal of stress at that speed. It's a fine all round performer. However, I found the seat became uncomfortable after a straight 2 hour ride and this is probably because it's new but there are ways round this if it persists. It has a few refinements such as traction control, keyless ignition and great underseat storage, all for £5k cash, on the road.

Having recently ridden a friends new R1200RT I couldn't help but make comparisons and it really does feel like a mini RT (to me anyway) but at a fraction of the price. I kept thinking “why buy anything else?” Honestly, it has a definite tourer feel about it.

Now, I'm new to scooters so perhaps there are plenty of other contenders out there, some even better, but I'm simply saying that this Forza is a joy to ride and I'm totally happy with my purchase.
IMG_20180907_172257150.jpg

Cruise ? Heated grips ,seat etc ?

No cruise, no heated seat and the heated grips cost an extra £99 fitted. But it's a 5 grand bike so still good value. It doesn't thrill but I have other bikes for that. I just wanted something simple that didn't cost a lot and was half decent at touring, and it's looking like I've found it. Not for everyone, of course :D

That's a nice scooter, Oldie. 200-400cc is about the sweet spot for scooters.

Just passed the 1100 mile mark after a 4 hour run yesterday. Now making plans for my next European foray and I reckon that the Forza will be spot on, possibly the perfect one-up tourer for this kind of money. Thoughts so far......

Plus points.

Light weight and so easy to live with.
Cheap to buy.
Fully automatic – perfect for touring.
Fantastic weather protection.
Electric screen, a major plus point.
Ergonomics suit me perfectly.
Firm, yet comfortable, seat.
Easy to adjust riding position on long runs.
Quick off the mark plus a decent top end.
Good mpg and 200+ mile range.
Precise handling and grip plus great at slow speeds.
Decent sized wheels.
8,000 mile service intervals.
Belt drive.
In built storage.
Traction control useful on wet city centre roads.
Keyless ignition.
Good onboard computer info.
Quality build/finish.

Negatives.

Mirors give restricted coverage.
Suspension is basic – avoid potholes!
Scooters flex over high speed bumps.
After-market cruise control required.
Probably more “nickable” than a normal bike.
No thrills, but still fun.

I know that scooters aren't everyone's cup of tea but I'm finding it hard to see why more people don't use them for touring. I stepped off the bike yesterday feeling like I could do it all again, something which my ageing body hasn't been able to do for some time. Usually my knees, backside and neck are beginning to ache after 4 hours but not any more, hopefully. Seriously, for 5 grand it's a belter of a bike.

No cruise, no heated seat and the heated grips cost an extra £99 fitted. But it's a 5 grand bike so still good value. It doesn't thrill but I have other bikes for that. I just wanted something simple that didn't cost a lot and was half decent at touring :D

You are right, the superscoots that have those sort of features are close to ten grand now. I’m loving my Vespa GTS 300 for getting around on and use it every weekend where as the big bike gets used around once a month. I’m sure that the Forza would ride a lot better but wifey and daughter love the looks of the cheeky little Vespa, and so do I :thumb

I changed my mind about fitting a top box to the Forza and went and ordered a Shad SH33 (£97 including the Forza specific mounting plates). Generally speaking, I don't like the look of top boxes on a bike plus they can obscure your brake lights and affect handling in windy conditions. But, sitting planning my first tour, I came to the conclusion that life would be that bit easier if I had one. If I use it in conjunction with my Tunnel Bag then I can also carry a decent amount of cheap whisky on the way back :D

Anyway, it looks rather sharp in the grey with white reflectors - kinda suits the bike which, by the way, continues to really impress.

IMG-20181207-155053811-HDR.jpg

thats a great looking scoot enjoy

The Honda on the right looks somewhat out of kilter........ or maybe it's just the beverage I'm sipping.

The seat is part open for battery access. The r/h exhaust has been removed to allow access to the clutch basket etc :thumb

Love my T Max for similar reasons. Very useable , quick and prscticle. Heated grips and keyless are brilliant . I could use it for very long journey’s but use the GSA for that . I’ve had a t Max in the garage for 15 years or so from my mk1 to my current mk 6 . Great bikes very underrated by those that have never ridden one :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom