Tubeless conversion.

misery guts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anybody done it?

Just picked up a DCT ATAS this morning and would prefer tubeless purely for ease of puncture repairs.

Anybody done it? Any recommendations for kits or sealants and tapes to do myself?

Only ever had two guys on my trail rides with tubeliss.... both went home half day with tyre failure.
There's a fella on the TET track at present with tubeliss, and guess what..... it's failed.
So, I wouldn't bother.

ive got a tubeless kit (3m) for the AT, im ordering some tubeless 19/17 rims instead so ill stick the kit in the sale section shortly, theres several youtube vids of bods fitting the tubeless kits.

Done the outed kit on my ATAS, if you take your time and do it right, you shouldn’t have any problems. I did it whilst changing over to Pirelli Rally str’s.

Forgot to say I'll be on road 99% any off road won't be anything too taxing.

I'll keep an eye open Ding Dong. Already been on Alpina site....

ive got a tubeless kit (3m) for the AT, im ordering some tubeless 19/17 rims instead so ill stick the kit in the sale section shortly, theres several youtube vids of bods fitting the tubeless kits.

Out of interest, what do you see as the benefits of the 19/17 sizes compared to the original rim sizes?
I'm interested because I might want to go tubeless also.

The only people who recommend tubeliss systems are those who haven't had a problem......YET.

Looked at this with my old KTM990Adv a while back after a couple of punctures left us stranded, one at a BMW dealer incidentally. Unless you intend to keep the bike long term, the economics don't work IMHO, so we just carried tubes/kit on long runs & otherwise decided to let the AA take the strain if necessary. Chopped it in 12 months later, when the long promised 1190Adv didn't happen soon enough, so glad to have avoided the expenditure.

Out of interest, what do you see as the benefits of the 19/17 sizes compared to the original rim sizes?
I'm interested because I might want to go tubeless also.

Bigger foot print, better handling, lower seating.

Honesty I cannot fault the stock set up even tubes I like because it's easier to carry a spare and cost outweighs a new tyre, when I replaced the oe tyres I stuck in some thicker tubes and use the oe tubes as spares for trips away.

tubes and tubeless are equally beneficial.

Or.... is there such a thing as tubes with slime in to plug the puncture as it happens? I know they're available for pedally bikes.

My first bike with tubed tyres incase you can't tell.

The problem with putting slime puncture preventive type of stuff in tubes is that the item causing the puncture is lightly to remain in place. Now with tubeless that dosent really matter in the short to medium term. But with a rube the item is still in there very lightly causing more damage to a relatively flimsy tube. The consequences could be a cathostrific and sudden failure of the tube or what’s commonly called a blowout. Not nice on a bike. JJH

The only people who recommend tubeliss systems are those who haven't had a problem......YET.

“Tubliss” is for pure Offroad use only, but we’re talking about “Tubeless”. Why would we have a problem, if we’re not going Offroad? The outex kit has been used by thousands of riders and been around for quite a while. If you go Offroad, then tubes are better if you dent the rim or damage the tyre, but you can fit a tube into a tubeless wheel. Some tubed tyres are difficult to get on and off rims and some tubeless tyres are reasonably easy to get on and off. I fitted the Pirelli Rally STR’s myself using tyre levers.

The reason for going tubeless is the possibility that you can quickly plug the tyre and get on your way. If your not fussed about trying to repair or change the inner tube on the side of the road and aren’t bothered about possibly damaging your wheel doing so, then use tubes, but I’d rather have tubeless thanks.

I very much so prefer tubeless. For safety and ease of repair. If for some reason a repair is not possible you can fit a tube as a last resort. In over 40 years I’ve never had to stick a tube in to a tubeless tyer to repair it. I never ride off road so I’m not qualified to comment on tube tyers for that. Funny how bmw managed to combine tubeless with spokes. Aprilia too. I believe for the new 850 gs they have gone tubeless. JJH

I very much so prefer tubeless. For safety and ease of repair. If for some reason a repair is not possible you can fit a tube as a last resort. In over 40 years I’ve never had to stick a tube in to a tubeless tyer to repair it. I never ride off road so I’m not qualified to comment on tube tyers for that. Funny how bmw managed to combine tubeless with spokes. Aprilia too. I believe for the new 850 gs they have gone tubeless. JJH

Even Honda manage it on the CrossTourer
Why not the AT too ?

Isn't the long term Africa Twin MCN tester running a tubeless conversion. I'm sure I read his article somewhere?

I'm running an Outex tubeless conversion on my Triumph Scrambler and am on the whole very pleased with it
the front loses pressure a bit and needs a top up every few weeks, the rear has been perfect

if you do ever find it fails then take the bolt on valve out and fit a tube until you can fix it - simples

The front may not be a safety rim. If it hasn’t a hump around the rim each side it’s not a safety rim and may not be suitable to run tubeless. JJH

Back
Top Bottom