Advice on best free anti-virus

Sunny Jim

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Updated my laptop last month (HP Pavillion) and the sample anti virus that came with it (McAfee) comes to an end this week.

I’ve been trawling the ads for best free stuff and quickly get overwhelmed with all the advertising advice.

Bitdefender seems to be coming out on top but just wandering what the collective recommend.

I don’t go trawling for the naughty stuff and use it mainly for browsing/banking and Word.

All advice greatly appreciated :thumb

Not free but I got a 1 year 3 device Kaspersky from Amazon for £19.50 but if you still want free there are a few to choose from AVG or Avira were always good a few years ago but I dont have updated information on their performance these days. As for McaFee its spam and a system hog dressed up as a virus scanner

Kaspersky also have a limited free version too
https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/free-an...iate&CJEVENT=ac23de20b38611e8815100930a18050c

EDIT check your bank website they may offer a customer option for free, Barclays used to offer Kaspersky but they seem to have a hold on it at the moment,

Hasn't there been some noise about Kaspersky being part of the Russian plan to dominate the world :nenau

Before I went over to Mac life I used to run Avast which back then (5 years ago) was very highly rated.

Andres

Thers a free install license for AVG Internet Security 2018 at the link below
https://sharewareonsale.com/s/free-avg-internet-security-2014-54-99-value

Yes Kaspersky is muted by some US officials to contain spyware hence its banned from being installed on any Government equipment but then again many Chinese made devices are said to have spyware in the firmware [ allegedly]

AVG goes from being good, to a memory & resourse hog!

I use Panda & malware bytes

Yes but the problem is if it fails to flag up any issues is it actually working?

No clue about others but I’ve used Bullguard on our home computer and the kid’s laptops for the past 5 years and we’ve not had a virus or any issues in that time - I know it’s not free

Thanks for your replies everyone (except Dave - he’s an even tighter yorkie twat than me :D:D:D)

Plenty to think about in there:thumb2

Free or paid, nothing can stop the bad boys getting into your computer if you are using Windoze, they have even moved to Mac also as very popular now, best solution is a dual boot PC or laptop, with Windoze and Linux Mint, anything important banking emails etc do it on the Linux side, and other stuff that is not important, GS-911 etc etc on the Windoze side.

Windows defender, but mostly importantly don’t click on dodgy links!

The problem is ner-do-wells hijack advertising banners and inject malware that way to so even safe sites are open to abuse

9077612015403b160264e29e87974ce2.png

https://www.kaspersky.co.uk/home-se...l_____MID0818_msg2&pgm=4922090600&ac_pgm_id=0

Back
Top Bottom