smartphone case and handle bar bracket

SIM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done to death, but cannot find too much info.

What is the best way to use smart phone as a satnav on the bike keeping it waterproof and crash proof in a case and making sure it is securely attached to the bike.

I dont use a tank bag

Cheers Simon

i phone 7 - waterproof.
cheapest e bay phone holder mount. Worked on all my bikes. £10 gets you a snappy solution...

If you’ve got a fairly new phone it should be waterproof enough for being on the bike (iPhone 7 onwards and most top end android phones)

I use a RAM x grip mount and it’s solid but the quad lock is a really tidy solution if a little pricey if you want something more discrete on the bike

Sorry if this has been done to death, but cannot find too much info.

What is the best way to use smart phone as a satnav on the bike keeping it waterproof and crash proof in a case and making sure it is securely attached to the bike.

I dont use a tank bag

Cheers Simon

I bought a rugged case from Buybits in Aylesbury secured with a Ram ball mount.

Works great.

7e158c00124da92a4692e04d4d526ea9.jpg

Use the RAM x-grip mount as well. Has served me well since I got it, both on smooth and fairly rough terrain. Phone has never budged, either with or without the rubber safety web.

One thing to note, at 70mph in heavy rain you'll really be testing the waterproofedness of any phone. Just to be on the safe side I pop a wee zip lock bag over mine in the heavy downpours.

I use ultimate add ons kit
They do phone specific cases with mounts and charging units you can hard wire into the bike.

Remember the using GPS will significantly increase battery drain and depending on what navi app you use also burn data.

I have Sygic which is a downloaded set of maps so navigation is not lost when out of coverage.

Actually think sygic is better than my NAVI 6 to be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the quadlok solution. Agreed that it is not the cheapest but for compact, neat and tidiness it’s worth it. Phone specific cases and the simple ‘poncho’ for waterproofing which still let’s you use the phone.

Thanks for all replies, I ended up buying Ultimate addons, case, charger and battery terminal charger.

First day of use very impressed, kept up charge on phone and kept out the rain very well.

subsequent days charger seemed to stop working as the phone drained very easily, so need to sort out the charger.

cheers Simon

I use an Iphone 7 plus

Assuming you are using the Lightning cable to charge the phone have a look at the eight “pins” each side to check if one of them is discoloured. If so it (pin 4) is caused by moisture on that positive pin and subsequent oxidation - even if in a waterproof holder atmospheric water vapour can be the culprit as I understand it - quite a lot of internet discussion about this issue

You can also check the battery indicator (top right) to see if the phone is getting the expected power

I see that the charger is rated at 2A and assume that this is sufficient for an iPhone 7+ when it is running GPS, that big screen on full brightness, Bluetooth and other apps? Even my iPhone 7 struggles in this situation, ‘tho I’m unsure what my charger is rated at

Back
Top Bottom