Oil on back wheel

gooey

Reaction score
Got to work this morning and spotted oil on the back tyre. Looks like the seal has failed. I'm thinking of changing the bearing as well as a precaution. The bike is an 03 gs1150r with 49k on the clock. Hoping this isn't going to turn into a major job!

might as well change the seal and the bearing, its an hour of your life you won't get back, but if you time so Corrie or Eastenders is on you will be ahead :jager

A simple job to do, make sure you do it right though, don’t go hammering the bearing on. Heat it up in the oven (or between the plates of a toasted sandwich maker) and drop it on... obviously I’m talking about the bearing here :D :thumb2

Cheers chaps - luckily I'm off work for a couple of days this week so it's not a problem having the bike off the road (might even clean it as well!):D

You will also need O rings for speed sensor and the Big O ring for around the edge of the outer casing

IS it possible the Final drive /Swingarm has burped out oil at the gaiter?

They do that sometimes (And then don;t do it again for a very long time!)

Also known for Alumium O rings to get eaten through by road salts from use over winter?

Better to Look before you leap ?

Good suggestion - will give it a thorough check tomorrow before I get the bank card out:thumb2
You will also need O rings for speed sensor and the Big O ring for around the edge of the outer casing

IS it possible the Final drive /Swingarm has burped out oil at the gaiter?

They do that sometimes (And then don;t do it again for a very long time!)

Also known for Alumium O rings to get eaten through by road salts from use over winter?

Better to Look before you leap ?

Here's the best video on the web for attention to the final drive on these bikes. It's by the loquacious James from Superbikesurgery in Glos.

But apart from all the yak - it's exactly what you need to see before setting about this job.
I bought a dead-blow rubber hammer on his recommendation - kushtie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVK_lpFoFok

Get yourself a 7mm Allen key before starting removal otherwise you’ll not get far.
I also did mine with the FD still attached to the swing arm.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Get yourself a 7mm Allen key before starting removal otherwise you’ll not get far.
I also did mine with the FD still attached to the swing arm.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

or, as showed in the video, a T45 torx key does the job...

You can use also tire irons to take the bearing off.

fctpXSxpAXt226HSxDVD2nQy20hFKOE8zQTna6koGJ9Gp9TjlXSydEC1O_QesVt8xsnTqcIaVW-QdfvweiLItYDBb44mC9aR1hN5xlpQR3dGfQmbghxO9zyVPLq3lqNCvbUTh7OxrDOo_TyaVFj7GFdPQ4RSH1BW07SukI8NkttNArgKsdTtwXoB1dZh0oddhdJ7QqZUnV4oNdVF-roGaT1fikjrOcHJe4hcFX3oEg--0MKOlIB1FVTSWF2ALSAnK0Yh4rMkd0V4LXcfe2E1EhrTzw3VM0Ey8WPx-bTy8i7QKhb5FUtBxClbWxeGVtyNjjUHqxPG2FMUMS6mywLV5944N6bPJ8EmJGPt4Po8sH6GZwFRGFOrDKD4CpVGPB32tkPGWIffRqnuL1S1uQzdMpnbPhR_4AU-QRbnXRhz9h9N13-VW3PCFBC3kipSk5cRO0upm5hyH-ZY_wczTl92TTcB-1Tiw107bbSPb2fWDhMGu4XAjUFHxSEZCo5F4k7Qb0ktHXsHDnQzZbkYfYC9zPwOsY-xoigw_xnvx2KxGm5J6nnq52NkVCUxo7Dpp7-RV4OjQZP6QIINBPUB_xhEPgNpPY4HPha_8Wel2rPejatuLZoNbvqrdN-c7ZMrJYCrodFwpBK9ArOoaF7v4gXH_T55n51_efHjkr7bmNAubGmUYf3kUlFHjLQi=w367-h275-no

Back
Top Bottom