AS29

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any part, highly recommended.

ddca5f630b71abf056564f7658458aa4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shhhhhh! Don't tell everyone!

You'll be hard pushed to find a bad road anywhere in that area. Keep telling people but no, they always go to Potes and environs. Which is fine by me, tbh.:D

I don't know how you got there but the AS12 from Navia up through BOAL and to Fonsagrada is pretty good too. Los Oscos is a lovely area. The AS219, AS217, AS14. All good.

Enjoy. Hope the weather is holding out for you.

We did the AS15 and then the AS14 today, as recommended in Ride magazine. Currently in Ourense and I have 2 routes down to Peso De Regua, one 260km and another 310km. Same last part but the longer one follows the river down the N202 and over the OU411 - is it worth the extra hour or so that the Garmin predicts?

keep the recommendations coming - I am spending a few days in that area soon. Booked a couple of nights in Navia after a couple of nights in Fuenté De. Then the plan is to move on towards Porto.

Ming,

Hope you're having a good time. 5 days to go until I meet Arsey and co myself down them there parts. Wish I could help you out there but I'm unfamiliar. This year we're going down to Chaves for a night and then cutting across just south of you on the N203 west and then north to Pontevedra to the Parador there. I'm told that the national park is well worth travelling through, though. I'm shepherd again this year which means they're blindly following me all the way around :blast. My cousin recommends that area and says the roads are good, fast and largely empty. Be careful, though, the Portuguese are not very considerate drivers and the Galicians aren't very good either. In fact they're both awful.

Even in Asturias this summer I had a couple of incidences of the type which make you want to get off your bike and smash some heads; A pickup (local neanderthal) left half on the road after a bend and some fuckwit too busy looking at the scenery in a 4x4 overcooked a corner and was barrelling down the hill on my side of the road. Luckily he was about 100m ahead of me and I was taking it easy. I turned around for the last one but left it too late and couldn't catch them.

:beerjug:

Wessie,

Ho ware you getting from Fuente Dé to Navia?

No matter, Just looking and the route I would have done takes over 8 hours in the saddle.

Right, seeing as you are probably going at least some of it via the coastal motorway then on the coast I can recommend these places:

Cudillero.

If it's dry:

Luarca: If you want a (very) twisty road then come off the A8 at either Cudillero or where I "live" Oviñana just after the San Pedro bridge. Left at the roundabout, over the overpass, right at the next one. There's a petrol station just after Novellana if you need it. Stay on that road all the way to Luarca. It becomes the N634 just after Canero. Zoom in to the Canero bit because there's a double roundabout system like the one in Oviñana but underpass. You should not have to return to the A8 after yuo come off, if you do, get back off it at the next junction.

If you're on the N634 then take the right turn after the GALP petrol station and follow the road (veers left) into Luarca via the lighthouse (one way after the lighthouse) because it is the best view in. At the bottom you will see the harbour and some round balls on the pavement, you can park your bike there or against the railings. Bars are on the left. Biker friendly.

If you're on the A8 then take the first exit you see for Luarca and then you're back on the N634, petrol station......

Cabo Busto: Bit of a faff to get to from the N632 (Queruas junction) but a very nice lighthouse and clifftop view with a big parking lot. It's convoluted but signposted (don't follow the NAV because there is a preferred route and it is signposted) The word for lighthouse in Spanish is "FARO". There's a famous bakery there that often has a queue of people outside if you like that sort of thing.

Puerto de Vega. Make sure you get all the way to the sea wall and harbour for best results. There's a castellated sea wall where you can park your bike and there are bars on the left. The one on the sea wall may or may not be open. Bikes in plain sight but there's no need to worry around these parts.

From Navia. The road to BOAL is the AS12 and well worth a go. The first 24kms are a biking joy, followed by a few kms where you must be more careful and then fast again.

I recommend this circuit: AS12 BOAL AS12, AS13 to San Martin de Oscos, AS362/AS33 to Santa Eulalia de Oscos. There look for a restaurant called Casa Pedro and ask to sit on the terrace for lunch. Be hungry or oder a sandwich, the portions are big!

Some 20kms or so after BOAL you will round a corner and see a wooden fence with a parking area. Behind that parking area is a dirt road which leads to a restaurant that looks like a bunker if you need refreshment. Opposite that parking area there is a cut through which takes you to La Garganta and Sta. Eulalia de Oscos through the windfarm but I think you need a guide to take you through there. But if you're feeling adventurous take it, otherwise stay on the AS12/13.

The AS27 will take you towards La Garganta and then Vegadeo. Just before Navia (on return leg) I can highly recommend a little tiny harbour well worth a visit called Viavelez. You'll see what I mean when you get there. Bar on the harbour and a short leg stretch to the sea wall.

Here's the route:

https://www.google.es/maps/dir/Navi...aed02471844!2m2!1d-7.0485041!2d43.4646918!3e0

and here's a link to a video of the road from La Garganta into Sta. Eulalia (which you'd be doing the other way around). You may have seen it on another thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJJBTQo2Ms8&feature=youtu.be

Enjoy,

Fred

I can confirm the OU-411 is indeed worthy of the trip. As is just about every other road we did today to get to Peso De Regua. The N311 deserves a mention as it's not marked on the Michelin map as being anything special but Ride suggested it and it's a cracker. The road surface generally in Portugal seems to be like some kind of Shell grip - you can see the bits of glass glinting in the sun but it offers endless grip. Tyres will probably be shot earlier than normal but I reckon it's worth it!

Looks very good, actually. It's a route i might have planned myself.

There's a very nice road when you get to Brieves on the right but forget it, too complicated. When you get to Queruas you can go to Cabo Busto to the Lighthouse if you want to.

The only thing I would suggest is to skip the motorway at Queruas and go the N634 route all the way to Navia via Luarca and Puerto de Vega. If you get to Queruas and are tired and fed up, then just take the motorway. You'll be in Navia in 10-15 minutes.

The nicer part of that road is behind you but unless you go right at Brieves, there's no point in doing it. And to be honest a deviation there would add at least 2 hours to that journey. Another time, maybe.

Enjoy yourself. If you're in the area this weekend I'll be there, drop me a line. I can PM you my number.

ATB,

Fred

Back
Top Bottom