Haynes vs Clymer

Marco1150

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a newbie and wanted to buy a manual to start taking care of my 1150 GS (2002) on my own. I found 2 manuals on sale (here https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=30&Ct=SN&SbCt=BA_15_30_SN_50).

Which one in your opinion is the best for me? i.e. which one gives the best basic advices for regular/basic maintenance and works on the bike? I'm not planning to tear down the engine or replace cylinders, I'm looking more for some well illustrated step-by-step advice on oils/filters change, periodic checks, wires replacement and the like.

Please let me know if you would suggest other books.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Marco

Clymer I think is more in-depth and has better photos to help identify parts.
Also the official bmw manual can be downloaded fairly easily.
Other club / forum websites and YouTube give plenty of written and video instruction to help with 99% of the jobs required to be carried out over time.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Save your money, Marco.

Follow the advice already given here. BMW forums ( there are several, all great sources of info. ) are overloaded with expert advice on routine maintenance and any necessary jobs like DOT4 flushing routines, replacing the 17mm old-style cam-chain tensioner for the later 15mm type, etc.

Commercial maintenance manuals are often overpriced, badly photocopied pull-togethers with very black pictures that fail to show proper detail of components. In many instances the routines they detail are overly complicated and in rare cases actually wrong.

Take the advice of my middle son who's a Fleet Manager at a major motorcycle maintenance facility for police patrol bikes :

"Before you undertake any DIY work on your motorcycle, please close your Haynes or Clymer book and put it firmly back on the shelf. Then consult the experts and established reputable opinions as seen either on forums or at an independent motorcycle maintenance facility."

Wise words.

AL in s.e. Spain

When buying a vehicle i always ask the owner if he a workshop manual... have a quick flick through it and you'll see what problems the vehicle you're buying will have had by the evidence of greasy thumbed pages on the different sections.

You can't beat a quick look in a workshop manual tech section for service specs etc. beats fecking about on the internet wadding through all the posts of irrelevant bollox of so called experts just to find one measurement.

Also, the first thing i do when buying a vehicle is to buy a workshop manual.

arthur14

...wading through all the posts of irrelevant bollox of so called experts just to find one measurement. Also, the first thing I do when buying a vehicle is to buy a workshop manual.

That's our Neil - trenchant to the last....

I imagine you sitting in your extensively-equipped garden shed workshop twiddling your thumbs and thinking :

"Why are all these ill-informed bikers contemplating tackling complex problems on their vehicles by floundering around on the web looking for answers, when here am I, Neil Harrison, with decades of experience and expertise in fettling these bikes quickly and economically, and they don't turn up here and let me do the job instead in a fraction of the time and enjoy one of my cups of tea into the bargain whilst I'm doing so ?"

Must be very frustrating.

Yes, I agree; buy a proper workshop manual for all the torque setting and specs., yes, especially considering that the official BMW vehicle detail material is so readily downloadable. I have the full BMW DVD with absolutely every detail and procedure on it. For every boxer bike current and ancient. Kushtie

But for me, no Clymer nor Haynes half-measures....

Last edited:
Gentlemen,

Thank you for your views and directions. I think I'll combine all your advices. So...be ready to answer more questions from me :D:D

Thank you again.

Marco

Back
Top Bottom