Final drive oil seal

John_mx

Reaction score
Hello,

How long dose it take to do your final drive oil seal (out side one)?

Something in the road hit it and scuffed up the bottom now oil is leaking :(

I’ll try and take a pic tomorrow,

It’s not badly scuffed up just think it scraped the aluminium and damaged the seal,

Tempted to give it to a dealer you see if it is to much messing about.

Depends a lot on how proficient you are with tools i suppose.
Not actually done one but at a guess, half an hour if proficient,
longer if not and, also may goose the housing up.

My advice. Take no notice of advice given by someone who hasn't done the job.

To replace the outside seal takes 10 mins max from start to finish.

But i can't see how something thrown up from the road has caused it to leak, it has a hard outer cover pressed into the final drive that protects the seal which itself is deep inside the housing.

did mine a few weeks ago and took no more than 15 mins being very careful and cleaning things as I went

pop the outer cover off and you'll see how unlikely it is your scuffed housing has caused this

How much did it cost for all the bits to do it if you don’t mind me asking?

just a guess here but i would recon on a tenner for a liter of oil ,you only use 230ml and i recon about 15 quid for the oil seal

What Steptoe said, the black patterned disk is just a protective cover for the seal. You may have gone through the aluminium case?

You will get good tutorials on YouTube on how to change the seal if it’s the issue, also make sure you stick th right amount of oil in after.
Too much will blow the seal again, think it’s about 180ml but I’m guessing.

How much did it cost for all the bits to do it if you don’t mind me asking?

about £20 for the seal

do it on the side stand and you'll only lose a few drops of oil

then up to you if you want to change the oil in the FD as well

about £20 for the seal

do it on the side stand and you'll only lose a few drops of oil

then up to you if you want to change the oil in the FD as well

There may not be much left in there anyway, its leaking! :eek: Once the seal's changed, it needs draining and refilling with the correct amount - Mikeyboy recommends 200ml, which is what I did once I got home after he'd done the seal for me....I couldn't get the bastard out, it took him all of 10 seconds!

Pete

There may not be much left in there anyway, its leaking! :eek:

depends on how much it's leaking, if like mine it was only misting then you'll hove only lost a few drops

I did change mine anyway as I was doing a full service and took out over 230ml, probably why it started leaking in the first place!

just a guess here but i would recon on a tenner for a liter of oil ,you only use 230ml and i recon about 15 quid for the oil seal

Use the correct oil.. It's not the usual tenner a litre gloop

Have you checked the main wheel bearing for wobble and run-out? as that might be why the non drive end seal has failed. I use 75w140 in both gearboxes. I litre will do both.

Back
Top Bottom