GS to 1290 T should I???????

Gregd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well I am almost there with a deal to trade my 15 GS TE to an 17 plate unregistered Super Adventure T. Apart from the fact I have only seen pictures and read the reviews I am really keen but I am concerned about the height. Have only spoken on the phone with the dealer and explained that I thin’ it may be a little tall for me being only 5’8”, he told me they can fit a lowering kit and by my reconning this will take it to a similar height of a lowered GSA which I am quite happy on having sat on one in the dealers. What are people’s thoughts/experiences with the height and how does it compare with the GSA???

What are your thoughts on the SAT model and does anyone on here have one???

My thoughts?

DO IT!!!!!!!

Bounce on here went from a GSA to a T and loves his. He’ll be along soon.

I'd have thought you'd be fine at 5'8" unless you're all body and stubby short little legs ;) The bikes are narrower (than a GS Adv) at the front of the seat, both the frame and seat itself so you should find you have no issues getting your feet on the ground. Not to mention the bike being lighter as well which makes it a wee bit easier to manoeuvre around.

Andres

Intrigued to know how a bike with a 17 plate can be unregistered.

I'd have thought you'd be fine at 5'8" unless you're all body and stubby short little legs ;) The bikes are narrower (than a GS Adv) at the front of the seat, both the frame and seat itself so you should find you have no issues getting your feet on the ground. Not to mention the bike being lighter as well which makes it a wee bit easier to manoeuvre around.

Andres

Cheers, good to know:beerjug:

I'd agree with The Nutty KTMer 100% - I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in the T.

I've 10k miles on my 2017 model and whilst I can't really help you with regard to the seat height you may be interested in my short list of pros and cons.

Pros:
Engine - monster power brutally delivered in a way that'll remind you you're riding a motorbike and not an appliance. Noise from the Akrapovic when the engine digs in and starts work is ace.

Comfort - excellent front and rear with the Power Parts heated seats. Screen is fine. I've fitted a backrest for my pillion with no complaints so far..

Handling - better than I am for sure. Semi active shocks make a real difference in confidence on bumpy corners.

Brakes - I've no complaints.

Chain's yet to be adjusted.

Finish - Excellent, even the spokes are still perfect.

Tank size - nice to have but obviously not essential.

Cons:
Cruise control - difficult to operate but works fine.

Price of sparkplugs :eek: but from what I can make out spares are generally very reasonable. Workshop manual's on DVD and less than £20.

You'll need a TT mud guard extender on the rear.

Givi panniers make the rear very wide.

DSC01626%20copy-X2.jpg

Probably the direction I'm gonna go in next year as well.
I am developing quite an "obsession" with them!!

Couple more B&W's with the panniers on please (to the above poster )

Sent from a U11

I'd agree with The Nutty KTMer 100% - I can't imagine anyone being disappointed in the T.

I've 10k miles on my 2017 model and whilst I can't really help you with regard to the seat height you may be interested in my short list of pros and cons.

Pros:
Engine - monster power brutally delivered in a way that'll remind you you're riding a motorbike and not an appliance. Noise from the Akrapovic when the engine digs in and starts work is ace.

Comfort - excellent front and rear with the Power Parts heated seats. Screen is fine. I've fitted a backrest for my pillion with no complaints so far..

Handling - better than I am for sure. Semi active shocks make a real difference in confidence on bumpy corners.

Brakes - I've no complaints.

Chain's yet to be adjusted.

Finish - Excellent, even the spokes are still perfect.

Tank size - nice to have but obviously not essential.

Cons:
Cruise control - difficult to operate but works fine.

Price of sparkplugs :eek: but from what I can make out spares are generally very reasonable. Workshop manual's on DVD and less than £20.

You'll need a TT mud guard extender on the rear.

Givi panniers make the rear very wide.

DSC01626%20copy-X2.jpg

Thanks Boxer......I can feel it getting closer:D

Interested to hear what people’s thoughts are on pannier options, the KTM ones are a bit pricey at £1200 but I like the idea of no extra scaffolding on the bike too.

Thanks Boxer......I can feel it getting closer:D

Interested to hear what people’s thoughts are on pannier options, the KTM ones are a bit pricey at £1200 but I like the idea of no extra scaffolding on the bike too.
I know the scaffolding can affect the aesthetic of the bikes but they can be worth their weight in gold if you have a small "off"

Whatever I get next, it will be between one of these KTM's or a gen 2 Explorer 1200, I will be going with Bumot luggage.

Sent from a U11

I have the S which is the same height as the T, am 5' 8" and now get on fine with it. I came from a '13 plate TE too that I still own, but it's hardly turned a wheel.

Some initial reservations because I added the Ergo seat which increases height slightly and I forgot to consider luggage setting will raise height slightly higher again, but overall love for the bike after 6K miles because of all that dynamic experience and sheer guts (ride a bike and not an appliance - love that) make it something special to ride every time I go out on it. It's such a visceral feeling.

Bottom line, it's good so many good points I can put up with it not being a bit too tall. Just have to think about where you park it & where you do U-turns.

Don't forget to post up a piccie as soon as you buy it ;)

The engine is intoxicating!

Buy it - you wont be disappointed.

15K on mine now and no problems.

Sweet Jesus! Go and try both bikes and make your own mind up!:blast

What next? Over to mumsnet and ask what panty-liners you should get????

I despair!!!!

Sweet Jesus! Go and try both bikes and make your own mind up!:blast

What next? Over to mumsnet and ask what panty-liners you should get????

I despair!!!!

I don’t use mumsnet, can you just tell me where you get yours?

My thoughts?

DO IT!!!!!!!

Bounce on here went from a GSA to a T and loves his. He’ll be along soon.

Yeshamesh....

I’ve no regrets about buying my 15 plate T.

I previously had a 07 plate GSA12, so it’s not a like 4 like comparison, and I had zero issues with my GSA, I just wanted a newer bike and for me, the SA-T was an ideal choice.

My 2 penneth....

Engine is awesome (especially with a re-map), and there’s so much torque .

I’ve got a Remus hexacone end can which is sweet indeed.

Semi active suspension works superbly.

Handling & flexibility is great & suits my style of riding.

I had a TT top box fitted which I wanted, but not panniers as I didn’t want them.

Build & paint quality is 1st class and IMHO, the GS LC doesn’t come close in this particular race.

It had TKC 70’s on originally which I didn’t like, so changed them for Conti Road Attack 3.

Adjustable screen works fine, but I changed the top screen with a puig sports screen & mra x creen spoiler (my personal preference).

Seat is comfy and no numb bum syndrome experienced so far. The heat settings work perfectly, although I’ve only used the heating once and wasn’t disappointed; this is also the case with the heated grips.

Brakes are great, and zero issues experienced.

Spoked wheels are fine & zero issues experienced.

30 litre tank is a bonus, but not essential.

I also had LED spots fitted which are excellent.

The only bad point is the headlight is ....I’ll be having a cyclops LED unit fitted early in 2019.

Regarding seat height; I’m 6’0, with a 32” inside leg and have no problems in getting both feet on the ground @ standstill. I’m sure there’ll be a lowering kit of some sort available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KTM Panniers fit neatly, but are quite small.

On my 1190 I have Givi Trekker Outback (KTM Branded these for a couple of years) great for size (37L / 48L) and being square on both sides are easy to pack.

Our 1090 has the later KTM plastic boxes (they fit 1050 / 1090 / 1190 / 1290) which are OK for solo use, but even the larger one (supposedly 36L) takes significantly less than the 37L Givi due to being a fiddly diamond shape, and the exhaust side is such an odd shape it holds very little.

If you don't camp / travel two-up I think the KTM ones are fine, otherwise look at the Givi / Bumot - IIRC the 3 box Givi set with scaffolding was about £1200.

I have also had SW Motech Trax in the past, these are also a good option and you can get a really net set of quick release rails which go on / off in about 1 minute and leave the bike looking much cleaner, I would of stuck with these had I realised I could not fit the Givi Trekker Outbacks onto the SW Rails.

If you get the earlier KTM ones I have an as new inner bag for the Top Box / Large pannier (bought in error) and know of an e-bay seller that does good value inner bags (got a pair for the 1090 boxes at half the KTM price - and about 1/4 of what BMW charge for inner bags)

As for the bike swap, you will not regret going Orange.

Back
Top Bottom