Cornmarket - IAM Surety.

Thats not the issue, youre ‘using it’ at that point, but they told me it wouldnt be covered if it was nicked at tescos whilst i was in the shop as thats pretty close to home.

I often need to move one or two bikes onto the drive while working on another in the garage. So I go inside for a pee, one gets nicked, its not covered!!

Mines the same, but it's only between 2300 and 0600

Mines the same, but it's only between 2300 and 0600

Who are you with? Im with CN and thats what they say, but theres not many that do now. Its the very first question i ask when i ring round now, cos it seems most have this rediculous exclusion !!

Who are you with? Im with CN and thats what they say, but theres not many that do now. Its the very first question i ask when i ring round now, cos it seems most have this rediculous exclusion !!

It seems that underwriters see it as a risk, which perhaps postcodes cannot differentiate?

Go for “parked on driveway” in the insurance quotation - and the underwriter will then be able to assess the risk more accurately?

It’s done, not because bods leave (as they always claim) their unlocked bike “For a couple of minutes”, on their drive but because - more often than not - they leave it unlocked for hours on end, when they’ve told the underwriter it’s garaged. That they do the same on the streets of London whilst they sit at their desks in the office for eight hours is well known.

It’s laughable that bikermates demand safe secure parking when travelling but object to it when at home, as some sort of infringement of their liberty.

As to the rest? If anyone thinks that an insurer will not pay when their bike is stolen from a petrol station 10 yards from their house whilst they pay for their fuel or from Tesco’s car park 500 yards away whist they stock up on doughnuts is having a laugh. The law is very clear that the application of any policy Condition, Warranty or Exclusion has to be fair, reasonable and proportionate, with any doubt counting towards the insured entity (you) not the insurer.

The world is apparently alive with bike thefts. Does anyone have a real life, genuine, clearly documented example (as opposed to “My mate says....”) where a theft claim has been declined due to the application of the garaging Condition, the bike having been nicked from a petrol station, cafe, shopping arcade or similar chilling location within the exclusion zone of a bod’s house? MCN should be full of them, as should UKGSer but there seemingly isn’t one.

It’s done, not because bods leave (as they always claim) their unlocked bike “For a couple of minutes”, on their drive but because - more often than not - they leave it unlocked for hours on end, when they’ve told the underwriter it’s garaged. That they do the same on the streets of London whilst they sit at their desks in the office for eight hours is well known.

It’s laughable that bikermates demand safe secure parking when travelling but object to it when at home, as some sort of infringement of their liberty.

As to the rest? If anyone thinks that an insurer will not pay when their bike is stolen from a petrol station 10 yards from their house whilst they pay for their fuel or from Tesco’s car park 500 yards away whist they stock up on doughnuts is having a laugh. The law is very clear that the application of any policy Condition, Warranty or Exclusion has to be fair, reasonable and proportionate, with any doubt counting towards the insured entity (you) not the insurer.

The world is apparently alive with bike thefts. Does anyone have a real life, genuine, clearly documented example (as opposed to “My mate says....”) where a theft claim has been declined due to the application of the garaging Condition, the bike having been nicked from a petrol station, cafe, shopping arcade or similar chilling location within the exclusion zone of a bod’s house? MCN should be full of them, as should UKGSer but there seemingly isn’t one.

the exclusion in mine, if its not garaged, I pay 600 quid.

It seems that underwriters see it as a risk, which perhaps postcodes cannot differentiate?

Go for “parked on driveway” in the insurance quotation - and the underwriter will then be able to assess the risk more accurately?

No need, as previously stated, I’m with CN, and they just double the excess if bike goes missing between 10pm and 6am. Rest of the time its fine on my driveway.

I agree with your initial comments, insurance has to be fit for purpose as such, but its nothing to do with what any mate has said. Whilst getting a renewal sorted with Cornhill the comment was made about not insurance outside the garage, so I stopped him and asked for clarity. Now whether the lad was quoting correctly, or accurately, im rather sure that should my bike go missing off my drive they would quite happily replay the recorded conversation and quite possibly and quite legally refuse any payout. Where
I might risk or not be concerned about some other elements of insurance, I do feel this is pretty straightforward and I therefore did what I felt necessary, and went elsewhere having confirmed I’d found cover without said clause.

Just got off the phone from Cornmarket. Asked for a two bike quote on for my GS and my new Royal Enfield Himalayan.
After about 20 mins of listening to all the stuff he had to read me and initial questions we got round to the RE which on their
system came up as a RE Bullet 500 which of course it isn't. After much Hmming and harring he said that as my bike isn't on their
system, they can't quote. Gee, thank's a bunch :blast

Back
Top Bottom