Cornmarket - IAM Surety.

JH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know that there is much said here about insurance companies and the experiences that some endure in their dealings with them. I have read the many contrary comments on here with interest, as I have generally had reasonable experiences with all my car and bike companies over the years; but maybe because apart from renewing, I have very little interaction with them, other than to barter my premium at renewal.

I realise that the renewal premiums are generated by computers using complicated algorithmic calculations, but this is the modern world of cost saving, rather than an individual looking at each one, and you have to spend a few moments searching for the current competitive quote and then engage in conversation with a human being to come to a satisfactory arrangement each year now. Of course it would be much nicer for us all if they simply cut their margin to the bone in the first instance and offered a bargain premium price at the outset, but that is just unrealistic.

But - having part exchanged my bike recently - I phoned Cornmarket to advise them of the change. It was a straight upgrade of a brand new bike replacing a 30 month old version of the same model, the difference being the value of the bike. I was on way back from France about to enter the tunnel and was making the call in preparation of collecting the bike in the morning. I was quoted over 50% of the original annual premium to make this adjustment!

I was caught, as I did not have the time to phone around for alternatives and nor had I anticipated the need to, as Cornmarket had always been OK in previous dealings. So despite my protests in the strongest terms and asking to speak with a manager, I met a bit of a wall. I reluctantly paid up voicing my protest at the treatment as I literally disappeared into the tunnel homeward bound.

But, this isn't a key board rant about it, more about how I, as I do with all issues, decided to deal with it in an appropriate way. So when I had time I saw a feedback e-mail from the said insurance company, but instead of filling it in, I spent a few minutes getting through to the the customer services manager on the telephone.

In the words of Wapping - I got past the chimp - and spoke about my experience with a a customer service manager. He listened and then said he would get back to me. He did, with an interim update and then a day or so later with their response. He agreed that the mid term adjustment was incorrect, that the system was miscalculating and the underwriters had now acknowledged this, IT bods were looking at it to make the necessary adjustments to prevent this happening again. He explained the calculation and then refunded the erroneous amount and a bit of discount for the inconvenience. Whilst I was on I mentioned the general feedback on here, ie not being as positive as it once was and suggested he might like to have a look, as they are losing customers whose profile might be the sort they actually want to be insuring.

He was very concerned and interested and has said he will try and get external internet access from his work terminal to do so. I believe he will and I hope that it is useful for all parties. But in summary, I felt I had been treated as a customer in a fair way. Mistakes happen, but it is how they are dealt with and resolved that reflects on companies. A thumb up to Cornmarket from me.

Interesting of sorts, I had a similar experience upon upgrading my bike with same model earlier this year.

It was a few years back now but at one renewal IAM Surety refused to insurance me anymore as by bike was above their newly made up £15k ceiling. Oh well, move on as. Had been with them for approx 5 years no issues...

Interesting of sorts, I had a similar experience upon upgrading my bike with same model earlier this year.

It was a few years back now but at one renewal IAM Surety refused to insurance me anymore as by bike was above their newly made up £15k ceiling. Oh well, move on as. Had been with them for approx 5 years no issues...

This is why I've created this post, so their CS staff can see for themselves the issues that otherwise might not get back to them. It may even help us all, who knows :augie

I’ve never had any problems with them, waive of mid term fees when changing bikes, will always beat the cheapest quote.

They lost my (decades? of) business for five vehicles two or three years ago when their company changed hands and not only were the quotes suddenly astronomical but the customer service took a massive nosedive.

I've been with them for the last two years, found them very good, customer service good. The only thing is their garage clause, which seems to be imposed by them and not Ageas, who are the underwriters. Also the 15k upper limit would be difficult if I bought a new bike.

Think the only thing we insure with them now is our main car, and thats the wifes business. They lost me for 4/5 bikes when they stopped covering any bike parked on the drive outside my house because I pay for garaged insurance. CN have had my business ever since. At least they are sensable about it, only doubling the excess if a bike is taken whilst parked other than in the garage between 10pm-6am.

( be very interesting to see if these and other comments actually get any feedback from said manager!!).

They are ridiculous, their best quote was £600 more than BMW!!

So much for rewarding IAM riders.

They were cheaper for me, initially on my renewal the price went up, but after getting quotes from BMW etc, they dropped their price

I've got 2 separate policies with them now and in both cases they beat the best like for like quotes by 10% so a no brainer for me ;)

I've got 2 separate policies with them now and in both cases they beat the best like for like quotes by 10% so a no brainer for me ;)

But if you wash your bike and leave it on the drive to dry are you covered by their policy if it gets nicked. Not when I last enquired just over a year ago.
:nenau

But if you wash your bike and leave it on the drive to dry are you covered by their policy if it gets nicked. Not when I last enquired just over a year ago.
:nenau

Nope, no theft or damage cover within 500 metres of the house. But that is if you declare the bike is garaged. A lot of underwriters are now invoking this to their policies. Not too worried about that, I'll take my chances.

Nope, no theft or damage cover within 500 metres of the house. But that is if you declare the bike is garaged. A lot of underwriters are now invoking this to their policies. Not too worried about that, I'll take my chances.

Correct - but then I would never leave my bike unattended on my drive - wash it, dry it with a wash leather and then chuck it away in my nice dry garage ;)

I’ve used this insurance company on various bikes for quite a few years now and I highly recommend them. If I have one bug bear about them it’s their ability to price match but not initially quote low. I bought my GS in July and called them up for a quote and it was about the £600 mark which was ridiculous and I told them so. They suggested I try some of the comparison sites and then get back to them and they’d match it. Sure enough I went back with a quote of £250 approximately, they confirmed the quote and matched it and the excess. I was happy with the outcome obviously but it’s a lot of messing around and makes you feel they are trying to play you.

Best not swerve and drop it 300m down the road ;)

Thats not the issue, youre ‘using it’ at that point, but they told me it wouldnt be covered if it was nicked at tescos whilst i was in the shop as thats pretty close to home.

I often need to move one or two bikes onto the drive while working on another in the garage. So I go inside for a pee, one gets nicked, its not covered!!

I’ve used this insurance company on various bikes for quite a few years now and I highly recommend them. If I have one bug bear about them it’s their ability to price match but not initially quote low. I bought my GS in July and called them up for a quote and it was about the £600 mark which was ridiculous and I told them so. They suggested I try some of the comparison sites and then get back to them and they’d match it. Sure enough I went back with a quote of £250 approximately, they confirmed the quote and matched it and the excess. I was happy with the outcome obviously but it’s a lot of messing around and makes you feel they are trying to play you.

They’re not an insurance company - they are brokers.

Thats not the issue, youre ‘using it’ at that point, but they told me it wouldnt be covered if it was nicked at tescos whilst i was in the shop as thats pretty close to home.

I often need to move one or two bikes onto the drive while working on another in the garage. So I go inside for a pee, one gets nicked, its not covered!!

Not for theft, at least - because of the incidence of scrotes seeing your bike going along your road regularly. It is obviously a high risk to the underwriters? If you live in an area where you dont think that is a risk - you could be absolutely right - so no risk to you, the bike, or the policy if you leave bikes unattended on your driveway?

Back
Top Bottom