Calais - Millau Bridge - Calais - Five days - RiDE magazine

Wapping

Reaction score
The Millau Bridge appears in most ‘Must do’ lists of things to see and do in France.

RiDE magazine has made a nice suggested route to get a rider from Calais to Millau (including a decent ride about when you are there) and then back to Calais, all in five days which bods might well find useful. Here it is:

5ec0deb23a5a85cc5ee32cc8d72818b7.png

Looks like a nice run. I could call this my ‘Better luck next time tour’ as I rode over the Millau back in ‘14, but didn’t really see in due to the worst weather I’ve ever ridden a motorcycle in.

I first saw the Millau, or rather didn’t, when it was being built.

I happened to find myself on a filthy day in the huge roadworks, temporary traffic lights, mud, dumper truck lorries and God knows what else in the valley at the foot of what would (several years later) become the bridge. I can remember being on my Blackbird, in a queue at yet another set of temporary lights straining my neck to look up what seemed to be a huge pillar that vanished into the clouds. I had absolutely no idea what it was.

Several years later, I chanced upon a news programme that the bridge was finished. Only then did the penny drop.

I hope the French are better at building bridges than the Italians. That’s a long way to fall!

Last time I went across the pont de Millau it was so foggy you could not see you where on the bridge, was I glad I was in a van.

When we went over in 2007, it was a lovely clear warm day; we set of from St Gene D guard; rode over to Florac; then south over the bridge, then east back to D Guard. It was a longish ride but well worth the effort. No stopping on the bridge for pictures tho.

A friend of mine, along with some mates, stopped about halfway along and jumped off.

Base jumpers, got to love ‘em.

Looking at the bridge from below on a clear day is awesome. Driving along it is pretty pants as you can't even see over the barriers on either side. Tis quite an impressive feat of engineering all the same...

Last time I went across the pont de Millau it was so foggy you could not see you where on the bridge, was I glad I was in a van.

My day was fog, torrential rain, flash floods, thunders &lightning......only knew I was on the bridge because I could see the guard rails. :doh

I wish the side walls were transparent. In truth it is more spectacular to look at than ride over.
And the area all around is worth a few days of anyones time, exploring with a local map.
Al I allowed to write that?

Been over it several times on the bike and in the car, planning to head south after Le mans 24hr in June and spend a couple of days around Milau and in the Gorge Du Tarn.

Been over it several times on the bike and in the car, planning to head south after Le mans 24hr in June and spend a couple of days around Milau and in the Gorge Du Tarn.

The Gorge du Tarn is great, stop at Saint Enimie if you get a chance,

Even better, rent a canoe for a couple of hours, they drop you up river and you make your way back

Even better, rent a canoe for a couple of hours, they drop you up river and you make your way back
I like the sound of that, thanks for the tip.

Sent by me

Go to the Point Sublime and watch the vultures. Brilliant views down into the gorge from there. And a cafe.

Back
Top Bottom