Dundee new V&A to Mallan

SIM

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Off for a run around Scotland next week, I thought I would head up to see the new V&A and then next day head distillery tour around Macallans new building.

Can anyone suggest a few good roads between the two places and a nice b&b, hostel or hotel

Thanks

Simon

Only choice is the best one. Dundee to Coupar Angus(A923), CA to Blairgowrie, A93 through Glenshee to Braemar and Crathie, B976 to Gairnshiel, A939 over the Lecht to Tomintoul and Granton on Spey, A95 to Aberlour. Could cut the corner by turning right just before Tomintoul and using B9009 and some back doubles.

Thats great, I had that eyed up, Thanks

This is the only way to do it.

Only choice is the best one. Dundee to Coupar Angus(A923), CA to Blairgowrie, A93 through Glenshee to Braemar and Crathie, B976 to Gairnshiel, A939 over the Lecht to Tomintoul and Granton on Spey, A95 to Aberlour. Could cut the corner by turning right just before Tomintoul and using B9009 and some back doubles.

If you want a stay-over near Dundee I would recommend this place
https://www.anstruther-waterfront.co.uk/
I stay here when visiting St Andrews as it is in a lovely location by the harbour and great value. The associated restaurant is excellent and there is a great ale pub two minutes walk away. Dundee is about half an hours ride.

Thanks for that tip, off to pick up some panniers with a mate en-route in fifeso even closer cheers

A93 can be as fast or as slow as you like....some of the locals are into 3 figures in places. Perfectly good single carriageway through cracking country side...ignore the 'snow road' marketing hype.

3 or 31/2 hrs will do it easy to Granton. Probably less than 3 if you don't stop and get on with it

The new Macallan building is superb and fully justifies the price of the whisky!

The above route will take you past the speyside cooperage but imo the visit is overpriced and underwhelming.

The new Macallan building is superb and fully justifies the price of the whisky!

The above route will take you past the speyside cooperage but imo the visit is overpriced and underwhelming.

I haven't been yet but I've heard that my picture (bloke with a long grey beard) is in the visitor centre!

Thanks for that, how long is the tour approx heading up to Klyesku afterwards.

Cheers one and all

That’s good, yes was meant to be going up this week, thinking a week in advance would be enough time to get a slot on the distillery tour...all booked now.

Do you get tasters, or if biking any minutures

Nice to hear about the cake at Klesku

thanks all for info

Love staying at Kylesku....you in the hotel? Watched an otter eating a crab on the slipway while I was having my breakfast once. Mind you, they were'nt so keen when they pointed out seals and I asked if there was a rifle I could borrow :D

A93 can be as fast or as slow as you like....some of the locals are into 3 figures in places. Perfectly good single carriageway through cracking country side...ignore the 'snow road' marketing hype.

3 or 31/2 hrs will do it easy to Granton. Probably less than 3 if you don't stop and get on with it

Just mind the blind summits on the road, a few to catch you out. Worst is between Grantown and Tomintoul, a long straight over the moor, the white lines stay single but the dip is deep

That’s good, yes was meant to be going up this week, thinking a week in advance would be enough time to get a slot on the distillery tour...all booked now.

Do you get tasters, or if biking any minutures

Nice to hear about the cake at Klesku

thanks all for info

Four drams plus one of raw spirit...... up to you if you drink it all or not :D

Just mind the blind summits on the road, a few to catch you out. Worst is between Grantown and Tomintoul, a long straight over the moor, the white lines stay single but the dip is deep
watch out for furriners on the wrong side of the road on this section as it dips down to the bends through Bridge of Browns.

Love staying at Kylesku....you in the hotel? Watched an otter eating a crab on the slipway while I was having my breakfast once. Mind you, they were'nt so keen when they pointed out seals and I asked if there was a rifle I could borrow :D

Yes stay for one night a bit strong for a few days biking, fancied going for a couple of years since it was done up. The elusive Otter spent a week on Tiree with family earlier this year look out of the cottage we rented look for an Otter because the neighbour said they where there

watch out for furriners on the wrong side of the road on this section as it dips down to the bends through Bridge of Browns.

Cheers all for the road tips and Whisky, May have to take 4 hip flasks and look an idiot decanting, won’t be hard

Yes stay for one night a bit strong for a few days biking, fancied going for a couple of years since it was done up. The elusive Otter spent a week on Tiree with family earlier this year look out of the cottage we rented look for an Otter because the neighbour said they where there

The grub is first class now...we try and have a night or two there every year. They also have Harris Gin!

Back
Top Bottom