Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Norcal 2018 - What Bilco and Shakey did next ..

Wot Larks Pip! Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Norcal 2018 - What Bilco and Shakey did next ..

Folllowing on from our superb tour around Alaska, Yukon and British Columbia as recorded by “Our Glorious Leader” Sgt Bilco, I thought I would try to match his RR skills by telling you what happened next ……

The next stage began with a a taxi ride to Anchorage airport. I’m not saying it was an early call but I think we had to get up before we’d gone to bed!
    After checking in our luggage and passing through security (for some reason I got priority treatment ) we were greeted by this wee fella;

It’s one of the most pleasant airports I’ve ever used and is liberally decorated with First Nation art;

even the aircraft … (OGL wondering why it’s not his face on that tail!)

A couple of hours to Seattle and a short layover which got stretched by a couple of hours due to a delayed aircraft arrival (that old chestnut) and we touched down at San Francisco International.
    Pas d’elle yeux Rhône que nous.

At SFO we had a temporary parting of the ways as Keith and Chris headed direct to Santa Rosa and I headed into the city for the night.

After several escalators I found the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) train that would take me into the Mission district at Market St & 16th;

After the wide open spaces of Anchorage, San Fran came as a bit of a culture shock and I can tell you that the streets are lined mostly with stale urine

I neglected to take a photo of my digs for the night but if I say it was “hotelish (anag.)” you’ll get the gist.
    The only thing it had in its favour was that it was only a short distance from Dubbelju motorcycle rentals where my next bike awaited me

I had hoped to rent a HD 1200 Sportster because I’d owned an 883 when I worked in the middle east. Unfortunately both it and my second choice of a “Wee Strom” were taken so I had the best of the remaining bunch – a Triumph T100 Bonneville.

I’ve never ridden one before but it ought to suit my short legs and at 850cc it shouldn’t be much of a slouch

In fact I grew to love this bike and was very impressed with its handling in the twisties. It needs only a nice pair of Hagon rear shops and a comfortable seat to be liveable with

OK, so now I’m on a strange bike in a strange town and all I’ve got to do is get out of town and over the Golden Gate bridge…… what could possibly go wrong?!

Actually, once my GPS had me going in the right direction (a Nav V in an X-grip on batteries gave me just enough time to navigate successfully) the ride was pretty easy. American drivers are pretty considerate and law abiding so once you get the hang of the four way stop junction it’s a doddle.

Once over the bridge I stopped in the viewing area along with throngs of tourists;

Chris had given me directions on how to get to the Marin headlands but the road was closed so I had to make do with a lower, rather than higher level view;

And back across to SF too;

My next objective was to get off Highway 101 onto the Pacific Coastal Highway (PCH) 1

I managed to follow Chris’ suggestions and after a coffee in Mill Valley I detoured over the superbly twisty and lovely Mt. Tamalpais scenic route;

And then back own onto the coast.
    I have long had PCH1 on my bucket list but I always expected to head south.
    The route north certainly meets with my seal of approval;

Around Tomales I turned inland and the temperature started to increase dramatically. This not only warms you up but it also brings you the fragrances of the countryside you are travelling through - in this case the ever present scent of citrus fruits. Lovely

I preserved my GPS battery long enough that I could check when my next turn would be and then using the odometer, turn it off until I was near the turn. Unfortunately this preoccupied me so much I failed to take any photos of the rural areas I was riding through.

I rendezvoused with the guys at Santa Rosa mid-afternoon and was looking forward to some quality time by the pool......... unfortunately, Chris had a "Slight cock-up on the battery front CJ" as the replacement battery for his borrowed GS had some dimensional issues.....;

So I had an unexpected battery swapping trip to BMW Santa Rosa.............. Which was nice

Take it from here Chris

Dream Maker
    Nope, you carry on old son. I love to see thse trips from another perspective although I may chuck some pics in
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

cant wait to see

what boxerlust has to say about your ride lol

Dream Maker
    First of all I think it's fair to post a picture of Shakey sporting a new line in Tosser related bike kit. For those interested, this wonderful helmet and attire such as bitch whips are available at the magnificent Alaska Leather emporium in Anchorage.

As Shakey said, it was an early flight from Anchorage on Alaska Airlines who are now the 4th biggest airline in the USA. There customer service is superb and they are a joy to fly with in this era of cheap travel where you can be treated worse than cattle.

It was a full flight but as luck would have it, some people never showed so we all had some space.........which was nice.

Nice views out of Anchorage and on the way to Seattle

And then we left Shakey at SFO and me and Keith retired to the superb Hillside Inn in Santa Rosa. The place is like a second home to me after all these years.

www.unchainedtours.com

Dream Maker
    As Martin alluded to, I used my cousins lovely 1200GS which is a fantastic thing. It's an 05 with 73k on teh clock and it one of the best GS's I've ridden. I had to fit a new battery which with Shakey's help I managed to get the right one eventually.

Martin found his way up to us in Santa Rosa and we left teh next morning for a quick flip around NorCal on some of the best roads I know. We had a good night and a few cold ones at the Wednesday market in Santa Rosa but bizzarly for me, I don't have any pics but rest assured dear reader, we sunk more than a few cold ones and showed the locals how us Brits like to drink.

Next morning we headed off through the Vineyards on some of my favourite backroads. Local knowledge is always a plus point

A quick coffee stop at my favourite little cafe in Jenner on the PCH. Everyone who goes on my trips ends up here having a coffee and staring out to the Pacific.

And onto the very best part of the PCH in my opinion. People concentrate on the SF to LA section and really miss out on the northern section which is full of bends and great riding.

www.unchainedtours.com

Santa Rosa - Sebastopol - Eureka

en-route to the above coffee stop we dropped by Chris' cousin's place in Sebastopol so that Chris could drop off some kit and I could sort out the dreadful, saggy saddle bags on the triumph....... if I could work out how to take the seat off first!

That sorted we set off for the coast again but Chris pointed out this local artwork. These pop up all over Marin county*

* I always lusted after a MArin mountain bike so it was a treat to ride through some of the places that the models are named after. I even passed what looked like Wilderness Trail Bikes (WTB) HQ - great saddles! However, Chris' mate Noel told me that the proper (posh) pronunciation is "Mu-RIN" - with the emPHASis on the second syLLABle.

Anyways, after said coffee stop and a bit of Pacific Ocean gazing...

All that coffee and seawater had a certain effect so I headed to the car park - be careful how you flush!

As we continued along PCH 1 I couldn't help but reflect that California is supposed to be a hot place and Alaska a cold one. The continual sea fog (Fret or Haar) keeps the temperatures well down and I was starting to wish I had my Keiss jacket with me!

I think the Red tailed Hawks sensed my eventual demise!

It would soon warm up by 30 or so degrees C as the road turned inland north of Rockport and into the mountains / trees;

Note the Hi tech luggage fix with a strap between the two saddle bag handles to keep them off the exhausts. With the Cats inside the mufflers those things get very hot indeed. Anyway, I digress.... trees I said;

I ain't seen nuthin yet!

Across through the trees to Leggett to join H101 again .......... A simple sentence that does nothing to convey the absolute joy of that section of PCH1. From where I parked above to the gas station at Leggett, I don't think I was on the centre of the tyres for more than a few seconds at a time. Sheer biking nirvana...... so obviously no pics but a huge grin on my face all the way. I'd have loved to do that on my own GS but the Bonnie handled it beautifully!

At the gas station we got talking to a coupe of guys who'd followed us in and discovered that the reason US bikers have so much stuff strapped to the back of their bikes is that the OEM luggage is full of snacks!

Off again and joining the old Redwood Highway; The Avenue of the Giants; I went in search of my roots;

and we paid homage in a more poignant moment....

Man those trees are BIG

Bonnie looks tiny amongst them

Back on to H101 for a quick blat up to the quirky town of Eureka

A meal and a couple of pints of White Shark at the Lost Bay brewery then call it a day... although I seem to know this guy from somewhere....

Dream Maker
    Martin mention that the PCH was biking Nirvana and he's not wrong. I've been lucky enough to ride some of teh best roads in the US and I have to say the top section of the PCH as it turns inland is in my top 3 of roads anywhere.

This section is about 25 miles and climbs, drops and curves it's way across the mountains on perfect tarmac and almost zero traffic. The GS is perfect on this and I had the K60's right on teh edge at times. Who says these tryes don't grip.......

Shakey getting the Bonnie working. You can see his smile through his visor.

A short breather in the cool shade

Then we headed up the staggering Avenue of the Giants. No mater how many times you go up here, this place just leaves you speechless.

A stop at Alex's little memorial to remember one of the finest people I've ever had the pleasure of riding with.

And it was on to Eureka for some cold beer and the superb Lost Coast Brewery and a bit of culture in whats known as the coldest town in California.

www.unchainedtours.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post
    Martin mention that the PCH was biking Nirvana and he's not wrong. I've been lucky enough to ride some of teh best roads in the US and I have to say the top section of the PCH as it turns inland is in my top 3 of roads anywhere.

This section is about 25 miles and climbs, drops and curves it's way across the mountains on perfect tarmac and almost zero traffic. The GS is perfect on this and I had the K60's right on teh edge at times. Who says these tryes don't grip.......

How high up are we talking ?
    I've ridden the PCH numerous times but only been up as far as Fort Bragg.Are you talking about the stretch from Rockport to Leggett ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerlust View Post
    The LC is probably one of the highest quality and longest lasting bikes currently on sale today.

Dream Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    How high up are we talking ?
    I've ridden the PCH numerous times but only been up as far as Fort Bragg.Are you talking about the stretch from Rockport to Leggett ?
    You go through Fort Bragg and about 20 miles later it turns inland over a small mountain range. The temp goes up and the road is uttery magnificent until you get to teh junction of the 101 at teh Chandalier tree.

Worth the extra time Martin next time you are there.
    www.unchainedtours.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Bilco View Post
    You go through Fort Bragg and about 20 miles later it turns inland over a small mountain range. The temp goes up and the road is uttery magnificent until you get to teh junction of the 101 at teh Chandalier tree.

Worth the extra time Martin next time you are there.
    Fort Bragg was just about doable on a 4 day work trip.But that was out of SFO and now I go into San Jose which is an hour further south.Will just have to get up earlier next time !!!
    Planning on doing a few big trips anyway when I can get part-time.Hope the insurance issue is resolved as would like to take the ATAS or even 790 Adventure R
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerlust View Post
    The LC is probably one of the highest quality and longest lasting bikes currently on sale today.

Dream Maker
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    Fort Bragg was just about doable on a 4 day work trip.But that was out of SFO and now I go into San Jose which is an hour further south.Will just have to get up earlier next time !!!
    Planning on doing a few big trips anyway when I can get part-time.Hope the insurance issue is resolved as would like to take the ATAS or even 790 Adventure R
    I thought you were already part time? You can get 3rd party only at the moment and I'm fairly confident someone will take up the insurance baton before too long.
    www.unchainedtours.com

Eureka to Quincy (Where?)

The plan Chris had in mind was to head south from Eureka to pick up H36 eastwards. H36 was closed for partial demolition / re-profiling of the roadway.

That meant we would have to head north and then use H299 to head east over towards Redding............... Unfortunately, H299 was closed because of the vast "Mendecino Complex" of wildfires. By the way, do you ever get earworms in your head when riding? my earworm was "Mendecino county line".

The state solution was to re-open H36 and take you through 5 miles of roadworks behind a pilot car. I don't know if Chris has any photos but it was a real rock and roll ride because where they had re-profiled the road they'd also sprayed it with water to keep the dust down. Try as I might I couldn't keep back from the pilot car enough in 1st gear at times. My earworm changed to "Slip Sliding away"!

It's a superb road though and coming out of the roadworks we stopped for a break at the metropolitan hub that is Mad River;

Population 2 plus a great many wasps!

Whilst we were having a drink in the shade, this rolled in two-up...

Very Nice!

Oh!, perhaps not..... We told them about the road works but they weren't worried because they were going to turn off on an even smaller road before they got there. They were on a road trip to get away from the smoke surrounding their home but were heading back because of reports of looting.

Onwards and eastwards...

that is until Chris turned North on H3... Apparently we were going to pay $20 to join a host of RVs (so I thought) in Lassen Volcanic National Park.
    It turned out to be the best $20 I spent! The road through is superb and needs to be ridden properly so we rode the whole thing in one hit, turned around and then came back for the photos .

A Great lump!

GPS station for measuring tiny shifts in continental plate tectonics. Better than a Garmin!

Mt. Lassen

Remnants of Sulphur (call me old fashioned but that's how I learned to spell it!) mining.

The Long Way Up

Heading back down 3 to rejoin 36 we found our way into the unknown town of Quincy which turned out to be just the sort of place I could happily live in. Our Motel accommodation was good (the boss lady was born in Walsall!), The recommended eatery was excellent!

and we provided free consultancy services to the two month old micro-brewery set up by an Aussie in the town (i.e. your English Mild isn't Mild but your "Porter" is).

Check out the bar top; it's a single piece of Sitka Spruce (if my memory serves me correctly)

All this brewery consultancy was rather tiring so we retired to sleep in preparation for the final day.

Dream Maker
    Up and at 'em early and Martin struggles with the ridiculous California fuel pumps. You have to push the nozzle intp the tank enough to make teh collar seal before you get fuel but the Bonnies tank just isn't deep enough.

It was then onto the magnificent Hwy 36 which has to be one of the greatest California roads. It snakes it's way across the state to Lassen.

Quick stop to remove layers after the cold on the coast and teh mist gives way to smoke from the fires

A few pics of the road which tells it's own story

www.unchainedtours.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast