Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 19

Thread: Tiger 1200

  1. #1
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    beverley,england
    Posts
    3,154

    Tiger 1200

    Almost a week into ownership of my new Tiger 1200. What a piece of kit. I did think there where going to be some improvements over my previous Gen2 Explorer, but I wasn't quite expecting it to be as good as it is. Without doubt it is the nicest bike I have ever ridden on the road.

  2. #2
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Kelso in the Scottish Borders
    Posts
    945
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinkleyowlie View Post
    Almost a week into ownership of my new Tiger 1200. What a piece of kit. I did think there where going to be some improvements over my previous Gen2 Explorer, but I wasn't quite expecting it to be as good as it is. Without doubt it is the nicest bike I have ever ridden on the road.
    I am looking at the 800xrt as a replacement for the GS and am struggling to find something not to like about it. The 1200 is just a bit overkill for me at 10 1/2 st.

    Have fun
    Ploughing on regardless.......

    Campsite Clouseau

    www.warpspeedadvanced.com

  3. #3
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    2,287
    Test rode both,

    the 800 xrx was wrong, wouldnt turn in and when it did it kept wanting to throw itself on the floor,

    Applying power to lift it up made it want to countersteer with opposite lock

    The explorer didnt want to drop to the deck but still exhibited mild countersteer ...hmmm

    the wind noise from the standard fairing was to much, keys handed back and no figures discussed.

  4. #4
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    beverley,england
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa-2512 View Post
    Test rode both,

    the 800 xrx was wrong, wouldnt turn in and when it did it kept wanting to throw itself on the floor,

    Applying power to lift it up made it want to countersteer with opposite lock

    The explorer didnt want to drop to the deck but still exhibited mild countersteer ...hmmm

    the wind noise from the standard fairing was to much, keys handed back and no figures discussed.
    Of course it exhibited counter steer...Every bike you've ever ridden countersteers around a bend or corner...fact.

  5. #5
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    2,287
    Indeed they do, but not full lock at 20mph!
    Or the fact at 60mph it wouldn't turn in or below 20 mph wanted to put itself on the deck. I put it down to both bikes being there lowered models. Because that was the only similarity

    Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    beverley,england
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa-2512 View Post
    Indeed they do, but not full lock at 20mph!
    Or the fact at 60mph it wouldn't turn in or below 20 mph wanted to put itself on the deck. I put it down to both bikes being there lowered models. Because that was the only similarity

    Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
    Very strange, I've neither read nor heard of anyone experiencing those sort of characteristics on either the new 800 or 1200 . As for it being possibly attributed to the low model, I had a fairly extensive ride on a low model Tiger 1200 and if anything felt it handled slightly better than the standard height. All of the more respected journalists are also commenting on how well the new 1200 handles. The only thing I could think of which would effect any modern bike to the point where it wouldn't turn in at 60mph would be seriously low front tyre pressure. On the other hand the only thing I could think of that would want to make the front wheel drop into full counter lock at 20mph is a seriously overinflated tyre. Very strange indeed.

  7. #7
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    2,287
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinkleyowlie View Post
    Very strange, I've neither read nor heard of anyone experiencing those sort of characteristics on either the new 800 or 1200 . As for it being possibly attributed to the low model, I had a fairly extensive ride on a low model Tiger 1200 and if anything felt it handled slightly better than the standard height. All of the more respected journalists are also commenting on how well the new 1200 handles. The only thing I could think of which would effect any modern bike to the point where it wouldn't turn in at 60mph would be seriously low front tyre pressure. On the other hand the only thing I could think of that would want to make the front wheel drop into full counter lock at 20mph is a seriously overinflated tyre. Very strange indeed.
    The 1200 counter steer was no where near as bad as the 800, and given time would probably become 2nd nature, in terms of low speed stability, it was as good as the GS.

    Transmission noise was much lower than the GS, but i would need a seriously tall screen to kill the wind noise / buffeting.

    I tried the same route on the GS as a back to back comparison. No dropping in our countersteer, if anything its neutral.

    I'd have been prepared to talk figures with a changed screen on the 1200, but the 800 was a keys back and walk for me

  8. #8
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    beverley,england
    Posts
    3,154
    If you test rode the low model then it will have come with the smaller screen. The XRT and XCA both have the touring screen which is much more effective.

  9. #9
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dursley
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa-2512 View Post
    Indeed they do, but not full lock at 20mph!
    Or the fact at 60mph it wouldn't turn in or below 20 mph wanted to put itself on the deck. I put it down to both bikes being there lowered models. Because that was the only similarity

    Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
    I had much the same experience on BOTH the brand new standard (ie not lowered) XRT800 and the Tiger 1200. I rode both over 50 miles and have never been so relieved to hand the keys back. Big improvement over my Mk1 Tiger Explorer? No, not by a long shot. More bells and whistles and some overdue improvements like the fab new adjustable screen for example (best in the business bar none imho) but I much preferred the neutral, predictable, sure footed and planted handling of the Mk1 Explorer. It went round corners on rails to coin a phrase. It's only fault in my eyes were that it carried its weight too high and with luggage with or without a passenger, it felt positively scary on tight hairpins and was hernia inducing to get a loaded bike on and off the centre-stand or to drag it out of gravel drives or car parks.

    The later models with their fancy TFT screens and improved electronics (rather "updated" as there was bog all wrong with the old ones....in fact I MUCH preferred the simple and clear layout of the earlier dash than the over-cluttered and distracting new TFT screens) couldn't mask for me a serious handling issue with them. I felt on the 800 particularly, on the first run into an A road fast left hander, the bike just wanted to go straight on...scared the life out of me!

    Got it back to the dealership and told the salesman there of my experience to which he answered "yep, they all do that now" and offered his opinion that it might be down to tyre choice. Perhaps yes, perhaps no....it felt more fundamental than that. Whilst I sort of got used to it over the 50 mile test rides, I didn't like it nor would I have accepted the keys to a new one even in a direct swap for my Mk1. It remained the better machine to me purely due to it being simpler and more neutral handling. Would still be riding it today had it not been for its slow speed top heaviness weight issues.

  10. #10
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    beverley,england
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Morety View Post
    I had much the same experience on BOTH the brand new standard (ie not lowered) XRT800 and the Tiger 1200. I rode both over 50 miles and have never been so relieved to hand the keys back. Big improvement over my Mk1 Tiger Explorer? No, not by a long shot. More bells and whistles and some overdue improvements like the fab new adjustable screen for example (best in the business bar none imho) but I much preferred the neutral, predictable, sure footed and planted handling of the Mk1 Explorer. It went round corners on rails to coin a phrase. It's only fault in my eyes were that it carried its weight too high and with luggage with or without a passenger, it felt positively scary on tight hairpins and was hernia inducing to get a loaded bike on and off the centre-stand or to drag it out of gravel drives or car parks.

    The later models with their fancy TFT screens and improved electronics (rather "updated" as there was bog all wrong with the old ones....in fact I MUCH preferred the simple and clear layout of the earlier dash than the over-cluttered and distracting new TFT screens) couldn't mask for me a serious handling issue with them. I felt on the 800 particularly, on the first run into an A road fast left hander, the bike just wanted to go straight on...scared the life out of me!

    Got it back to the dealership and told the salesman there of my experience to which he answered "yep, they all do that now" and offered his opinion that it might be down to tyre choice. Perhaps yes, perhaps no....it felt more fundamental than that. Whilst I sort of got used to it over the 50 mile test rides, I didn't like it nor would I have accepted the keys to a new one even in a direct swap for my Mk1. It remained the better machine to me purely due to it being simpler and more neutral handling. Would still be riding it today had it not been for its slow speed top heaviness weight issues.
    That's very interesting. I've never experienced any of the above, the Tiger 1200 is for me without doubt the nicest handling big trail bike I've ever ridden, with the exception of the KTM 1290, but that's just to much of a beast for me. Nice bike though.

    One of the things I did stipulate on purchase was that the OEM Tourance next where replaced with PR4 Trails. IMHO the Tourance Next is one of the worst tyres I've had the displeasure to ride on. In fact I had the originals replaced under warranty on my previous Explorer. Horrible, Horrible tyre.


    I know what you mean about the TFT screen. Initially I found it quite distracting but as I've gotten used to the bike I really like it now and it's fairly intuitive. I've had every generation of the Explorer and the new Tiger 1200 is a good bit better than the Gen2 and in a different league to the Gen1.


    But it's each to their own. I also have a 2005 Guzzi Breva, that in terms of performance, handling, quality of fit and finish, in fact in every aspect could not hold a candle to the Tiger 1200, but do you know what ? I love riding it just as much as the Tiger, feels like a proper motorbike.


    Cost of the Tiger...getting on for 17k...cost of the Guzzi under 3k...If I could only keep one it would be a difficult choice. As I said, each to their own.

  11. #11
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dursley
    Posts
    84
    It could well have been the Tourance tyres...jury's out on that one for me. I had Anakee 2s on mine and loved them. A lot is personal preference and I just much preferred the ride and handling of my Mk1 Explorer. It gave up nothing really in power, or power delivery but admittedly it used a fairly crude traction control, way too intrusive for my liking, compared with newer versions. Everyone goes on about the semi active suspension on the Mk3 but honestly, there was nothing wrong with my Mk1 bog standard stuff once properly set up. I preferred the fit and forget nature...it just worked and worked well. If you want to go off road and really know how to handle a bike in the rough then perhaps the semi active suspension and clever traction control settings along with engine management settings then come into their own but I'll wager that a tiny percentage of owners ever take their bikes onto the rough stuff to find out.

    The Mk1 brakes though were not good...enough. There's no excuse on skimping on things like braided hoses and more powerful stoppers on a bike that weighs in at over 260Kg fuelled up. Front fork dive was quite noticeable too on the few occasions I had to grab a handful after I had some numpties pulling out in front of me. The newer bike was much better on brakes and had less front dive plus felt a little closer to the deck than the old one which is a good thing but still couldn't shrug off that top heavy feeling. I was never as sorry to see a bike go as parting with the Explorer though. I loved the overall package and could have sorted the brakes and used progressive front springs but one thing I couldn't alter was the low speed management. It's not a height thing either. My 6 ft ex-army mate tried it and struggled hauling the thing about (fully laden) too.

    I think few bikes, except perhaps the GS, can really hold a candle to the Tigers as an all round package. The Tigers are arguably more reliable, just as well screwed together (and with more thought) better value used (not so much new these days) but depreciate like a falling rock unfortunately. If you can get on with the weight issue, then I'd say there's nothing (other than the fad for tft over the original cluster) to dislike. Superb bikes.

  12. #12
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    1,106
    I tested the Tiger 800, twice, both the original and the later ride-by-wire version. Both were good but first time not special enough to tempt me away from a GS and second not different enough from the GS to change my mind about a Tracer 900.

  13. #13
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dursley
    Posts
    84
    To be fair, the 1200 Tiger is more a comparison with the GS, not the 800. I think that may have impressed a lot more but it would have felt a lot heavier.

  14. #14
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Gainsborough, England
    Posts
    1,290
    I took a 16 plate 1200 out for a test ride today, following on from a decent run on an S10 at the same dealer. I rode the Tiger round the block and didn't want to go any further on it, so handed it straight back. In spite of the seat height, the leg room was limited as well.

  15. #15
    Bloody mud ruts! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    In garage or at work
    Posts
    2,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa-2512 View Post
    Indeed they do, but not full lock at 20mph!
    Or the fact at 60mph it wouldn't turn in or below 20 mph wanted to put itself on the deck. I put it down to both bikes being there lowered models. Because that was the only similarity

    Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
    That sounds like tyre pressures are too low, dealer not prepping the bikes properly before the test ride?

  16. #16
    Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    beverley,england
    Posts
    3,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen Snell View Post
    I took a 16 plate 1200 out for a test ride today, following on from a decent run on an S10 at the same dealer. I rode the Tiger round the block and didn't want to go any further on it, so handed it straight back. In spite of the seat height, the leg room was limited as well.
    That's not the Tiger 1200 though. 16plate could well have been a Generation 1 Explorer. Nice bike, I had one, but a long way from the Tiger 1200.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Anyone attending a Ride Out or Event organised through the UKGSer Forums does so at their own risk.
UKGSer.com or anyone organising an event posted here will not be held responsible in any way for damage or personal injury sustained while attending any such events.

Members attending any such event do so at their own risk.

The text, images, graphics, sound files, animation files, video files, and their arrangement on this Website are all subject to copyright and other intellectual property protection. These objects may not be copied for commercial use or distribution, nor may these objects be modified or reposted to other sites without prior written permission.

Disclaimer: Use or depiction of the BMW logo or trademark throughout this web site is for illustrative and editorial purposes only, and to the benefit of the trademark owner, with no intention of infringement of the trademark.

The UKGSer Forums may include adult content for which it cannot be held responsible. Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the UKGSER network privacy policy

"Its about being a grown up hooligan - and if that means a dark visor, remus open pipe and a bit of speeding out of town then all well and good"