My new-to-me Pan ST1300

GreatScot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well, the reshuffle in my garage continues - both BMWs gone after 5 years of ownership and the second replacement (to add to my new Street Triple R) has arrived.

Here she is - 10 years old and 35k miles with a full service history and at a really good price. There were so many to choose from and it was a real buyer's market. A few good extras already on; bar risers, bike-quip screen, heated grips, comfort seats, wind deflectors and a topbox with rack, power and high-level brake light. It also came with a new MOT and a brand new pair of PR4GTs.

a3b0e348-9cb8-4330-ab93-63a920b3e4d7_zpsscu5akom.jpg

I was looking for a really good all-year ride and an option to munch a few miles and something I'd enjoy maintaining myself. The Haynes online manual is excellent and I've already had a good look around and replaced a couple of exhaust clamps and sorted a bit of a sticky centre-stand and some flimsy d i y additional power leads.

I've put 500 miles on her so far and am very pleased with how she handles - more like a middleweight despite her bulk and is sooooooo comfortable. I've taken my time to get used to moving her around and have a spinner to turn her round in my generous double garage so no 7 point turns in the drive!

I know there are a few Pan fans, owners and ex-owners on here so happy to hear any pearls of wisdom :thumb2

A friend of mine has one, which he really hustles through the twisties and down the D roads of France.

It can develop a weave of sorts when loaded up and tramping-on down mototoways, usually exaggerated by the ‘dirty air’ turbulence from larger vehicles.

It’s a heavy brute to pick up, as he discovered when it slipped off his scissor service ramp when he was servicing it and changing his tyres. He’d finished, dropped the ramp to floor level, the bike on its centre stand. Pushing it forward off the stand, it slipped, falling away from him..... trying to hang on, he thought better to let go, than be cattapulted through the air after it.

A friend of mine has one, which he really hustles through the twisties and down the D roads of France.

It can develop a weave of sorts when loaded up and tramping-on down mototoways, usually exaggerated by the ‘dirty air’ turbulence from larger vehicles.

It’s a heavy brute to pick up, as he discovered when it slipped off his scissor service ramp when he was servicing it and changing his tyres. He’d finished, dropped the ramp to floor level, the bike on its centre stand. Pushing it forward off the stand, it slipped, falling away from him..... trying to hang on, he thought better to let go, than be cattapulted through the air after it.

The French tale strikes a chord - I used to ride with a group of about 5 or so for a long weekend to Morbihan or a little further south every spring. One of the guys rode a Pan and always caught my eye with just how well he hustled it along - quick and very smooth. I was riding a K13GT, looking to replace it in about 2013. I looked at a Pan then and one of the other impressive "big" bikes I looked at was a K16 (after having one as a loaner - that old trick!) and it was only the weight that put me off the pair of them. I ended up with a GSA. I nearly let the weight put me off again this time with the Pan but I thought just do it and be careful.

I've also got a Clarke ramp and am always very careful moving a bike on and off - I've put lots of non-slip tape on there too. When you're not doing it regularly it can be quite daunting, never an end of the day job.

You'd not want to drop any big tourer, but the Pan European both ST1100 and ST1300 are built to be dropped, with the built in crash protection bars. Unless you're really unlucky and drop it onto something, you're probably just looking at a scuffed crash protector cover and scuffed pannier. Not a good plan to try to pick it up single-handed mind.

Back
Top Bottom