Looking at a Comms Unit

arealhuman

Reaction score
Well, what a minefield for someone who's never had one before! I've had my eye on the Sena 10c Evo as I like the idea of that with a decent quality camera, but it's vapourware it seems, it's been listed on their website as "coming soon" for the best part 2 years now. Anyway, I'm not brand loyal, as long as it works well. I just need something to connect to my Nav V and iPhone 6, My main use would be making the odd call whilst on the move (explaining to the missus why a couple of hours ride sees me about 6 hours late home) and be able to hear satnav directions. Some of my riding mates have intercoms of various makes, so being able to chat with them would be a plus, too That, and it has to be waterproof. I've read stuff on here and elsewhere online, there are rants and raves against each make, but the consensus seems to be that the Sena stuff isn't totally waterproof (I stand to be corrected). I would greatly appreciate any advice or recommendations :)

I have the Sena 30K and it's waterproof and overkill for what I need BUT I've had the 20s it that was water proof also, IMHO the charging port is suspect if not closed right or becomes damaged.
Although I haven't had another bluetooth, apart from BMW I'm sure the units from other stables are just as good and some of the cheaper brands get good revues....

Don't spend a lot until you know exactly what you need :beerjug:

Scala Packtalk for me, use it with a Nav VI and iPhone 6S. Had the Packtalk for a few years now, works perfectly both for intercom and to a mates setup if we ride together. Both Sena an Scala will have their fans, its Scala for me though, been using their products for 7 years or so, the Packtalk is much better than their original kit.

I invested in a 2nd hand scala q3 twinset. As it uses a standard 3.5mm jack for the speakers, you can fit any type you want or even go down the in ear headphone route. On a recent 2 week trip in Europe it performed flawlessly in both sun and heavy rain.

Can link to up to three other users (one at a time) and connects to phone/nav/mp3 with ease. Built in radio as well which is great on the commute.

Think I paid about £150 for the twin set which is considerably less than the current offerings. Lower price is nice if you're just dipping yer toe into the comms stuff for the first time like I was.

Cardo Scala Packtalk for me too. I also have Nav V and iPhone 6 and it performs flawlessly. Packtalk is properly waterproof. Sena units are not however they are generally fine in a downpour.

You should be able to get a good deal on a Packtalk as the new Packtalk Bold has been released which supersedes it however the only real benefit to the Bold over the outgoing model is the ability to give it voice commands which we all know is just a novelty and won't work properly when hooning down a road.

Cardo are still supplying firmware updates for the Packtalk so it is still very much a viable option.

I went along with some bikermates and got a packtalk a few years back, its been great, more features than i use, good range and all day battery life,
You can bridge other make devices into the group , i would use that for pillion,
You quickly realise the range and quality is no where near pactalk DMC,

I went along with some bikermates and got a packtalk a few years back, its been great, more features than i use, good range and all day battery life,
You can bridge other make devices into the group , i would use that for pillion,
You quickly realise the range and quality is no where near pactalk DMC,

I now use mine in DMC mode for pillion as well, a lot better than BT, the mic is always open, works really well

Well, I've been thinking about this, and of the group of people I ride with, only two of them have devices like this, and they're not often out at the same time. Also, I'm not sure about having an always-on mic. My main use, I think, would be to hear the satnav and also make/receive the odd call, so I've been looking at the Cardo Q-Solo. Does anyone have any experience of this unit? Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom