Garmin Express

bod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I didn't know if this would be better in the GPS section, but here goes!

Ever since I did the free download from Windows 7 to 10, I have been unable to install Garmin Express?
It downloads ok, but towards the end of the installation a box pops up saying "elevated installer not found" or words to that effect?
So for the last couple of years I have been updating my Zumo 660 and edge 510 via an old desktop running on Windows Vista.
But now it seems Vista is not supported by Garmin, and the connection is cut every time I try to get on Garmin.com.

I paid for lifetime updates about 3 years ago, and have not updated the Zumo in 18 months.

A quick google suggests there is nothing I can do apart from buy a new laptop as part of the old programme is still in there preventing a re-install.

Anyone else come across this as loads must have done the free upgrade to 10?

Have you tried right clicking the installer and run as administrator?

Failing that uninstall the old version, reboot, delete the install folder and anything else related to the install then run a reg cleaner. Now try installing again with the right click.

Failing that uninstall the old version, reboot, delete the install folder and anything else related to the install then run a reg cleaner. Now try installing again with the right click.

I had that a while ago. I had to go into the services running and change the permissions for one or other service to run as an admin on the machine. See post no 5 in this thread https://forums.garmin.com/forum/garmin-express/garmin-express-pc/117449-

Yes, I followed a thread on a Garmin forum about a year ago that said run as administrator - I can't remember if it failed or I got confused, but I know it didn't work.

I had that a while ago. I had to go into the services running and change the permissions for one or other service to run as an admin on the machine. See post no 5 in this thread https://forums.garmin.com/forum/garmin-express/garmin-express-pc/117449-

I'll have a go at this tomorrow and report back - Thanks chaps! :beerjug:

I'm still just going round in circles here!

Download Garmin express, then half way through the install at the point of installing the elevated installer, up pops a box saying;

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

Click ok to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'ElevatedInstalller.msi' in the box below.

I can find no trace of the Garmin Express anywhere on my PC, and this seems to be the point where Garmin support give up on you and say you need a new computer.

This is the solution I got from Garmin for the same problem.

Hope it works for you.

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems using Garmin Express. I am happy to assist you resolve this issue.

If you receive an error message while using the Garmin Express application, please try the following solutions in the order they are presented below.

Your computer must have the below requirements in order for Express to work:

Windows Vista SP2 or newer, Microsoft .NET 4.5(included)
1024 x 768 display, USB port and 1 GB RAM
High speed Internet access (Not for use with dial-up, mobile or satellite connections)
May require up to 13 GB free disk space
Make sure the software of the Garmin device is up to date.

For a step by step guide to assist you with this, please click the link below:

http://static.garmincdn.com/shared/uk/customer-care/Updating_device_software_in_Express.pdf

With the Garmin Express program itself, it is very important to use the latest version of the application. First, we suggest to completely uninstall express. You can uninstall this by following the steps below:

Open the Start menu
Click Control Panel (Windows 8 users will need to access the Control Panel from the Apps menu)
Click Add & Remove Programs or Programs in Features for Windows Vista/7 users
Click on Garmin Express
Click on Remove or uninstall
Once the program has been removed from your computer please clear the Garmin folder on your computer. To do this please follow the instructions below:

Because the Garmin folder may be a hidden folder you first need to make sure that you’re able to see any hidden folders. I have included instructions below on how to reveal these folders.

Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8

Open the Start menu
Click Control Panel
Click Folder Options
Click the View tab
Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders
Click OK
Windows 10

Search for Control Panel
Click File Explorer Options
Click the View tab
Under Advanced settings, click Show hidden files and folders
Click OK
Now you will be able to see the hidden folders please follow the instructions below on how to clear the Garmin folder.

Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10

Go to Computer or This PC
Open your Local Disk (C:) drive
Go to ProgramData
Open the Garmin folder
Delete everything inside the folder
Restart your computer
You can then reinstall Garmin Express to ensure you are using the latest version by following the steps below:

Click http://download.garmin.com/omt/express/B/GarminExpressInstaller.exe
Click Run
Accept the Terms and Conditions and click Install
Click Launch
The application will now launch, reconnect your Garmin device to the computer and follow the on screen prompts to associate the device to Garmin Express.

If you still experience trouble with express please provide us with the information so we can create a case to investigate further.

Device Serial number:
Software version of your device:
Screenshots of the error:
Exact details of the error:
Garmin Express version (if available):
Browser:
Operating system (e.g. Windows 7)
Steps taken to attempt to resolve the error:
If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know. Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.co.uk/support

Kind regards,

Petra

Garmin Europe

Don’t you know anyone with a MacBook who will let you pop round and use that to update your maps? I just went to the Garmin website, downloaded whatever was needed then updated my Zumo with no worries whatsoever.

This kind of thing was what finally tipped me over the edge with my Dell laptop running Windows 10 so I completely stripped it, reloaded 10 with nothing else added and gave it to my daughter who had an older laptop that was getting a bit flakey. I know it was an expensive hissy fit on my behalf but I’d had the Dell for about 18 months and it was driving me crazy :rob

I came home early today and did some book work in the 35 minutes I was on hold to Garmin Support.

Then this charming little thing called Charlotte answered, listened and sent me this link;

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/

It's a Microsoft patch tool that has done the job! :thumb2

….. 3 hours of updates now going in to the Zumo!

Back
Top Bottom