1150GS OEM Handlebar - Is This Screw Essential?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Item 8 - it's faded out and not on the parts list. I've circled them - shown on the right but not the left (presumably there would be 2?). I have a new-to-me OEM handlebar that doesn't have these screws. My mechanic wasn't keen to install the handlebar without them.

What do they do?

Are they essential?

Where can I get two if they are essential?

Might I get away with an alternative if they are essential and I can't find any?

TIA for any help. :thumb2

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...21-BMW-R_1150_GS_00_0415,0495_&diagId=32_0801

R1150GS Handlebar.jpg

What isn't clear in the diagram is that bolt no.8 is actually holding/clamping together the hand-grip grip section with the 'main' central section. So yes, you do need bolt no.8... As i understand it, if you don't use it, the hand-grip section will be allowed to rotate freely. On my 1150, the hand-grip section was a separate part.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Looks more like a blanking plug to me but that doesn’t fit with Slippery’s answer. I would have thought that 5, 6 & 7 are the parts holding the bars together?

What isn't clear in the diagram is that bolt no.8 is actually holding/clamping together the hand-grip grip section with the 'main' central section. So yes, you do need bolt no.8... As i understand it, if you don't use it, the hand-grip section will be allowed to rotate freely. On my 1150, the hand-grip section was a separate part.

When you see the bar in the flesh, it's clear that the end sections are separate pieces. I wonder could any aul screw or bolt or tough cable tie achieve the same result?

And why is the screw in question not on the parts list?

Looks more like a blanking plug to me but that doesn’t fit with Slippery’s answer. I would have thought that 5, 6 & 7 are the parts holding the bars together?

Agreed, but that 5/6/7 assembly seems too big / busy to have anything to do with the hole in question.

Thanks guys.

When you see the bar in the flesh, it's clear that the end sections are separate pieces. I wonder could any aul screw or bolt or tough cable tie achieve the same result?

And why is the screw in question not on the parts list?

Agreed, but that 5/6/7 assembly seems too big / busy to have anything to do with the hole in question.

Thanks guys.
I think you're right. Any bolt will do. Within reason of course :)

Aren't the other parts to fix the hand guard?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The outer end of the OEM handlebar is on a rubber sleeve, and is connected to the main bar by a bolt with a rubber bush / grommet - all to isolate vibration.
You could use a cable tie, the originals ones on that bike were rock solid, never going to slide off or twist..
I liked the Renthals, good bend, appearance and never going to rust....

I just want to see if I like the OEMs better Bin - current set-up is good, but I want the bike to really fit me.

Thanks all. :thumb2

You need the parts 5 6 and 7

Part 8 is the "kit" of those parts

You also actually do need the BM bolt as its a shouldered bolt if I recall correctly, the bolt the rubber gromit are an effort to try and curb vibration

Just order 5 6 and 7 from a Dealer or other source online

You need the parts 5 6 and 7

Part 8 is the "kit" of those parts

You also actually do need the BM bolt as its a shouldered bolt if I recall correctly, the bolt the rubber gromit are an effort to try and curb vibration

Just order 5 6 and 7 from a Dealer or other source online
That would make sense; although it’s a peculiar way to show it on the drawing!

It is peculiar in the flesh, not alone in the drawing.
The wiring for the heated grips is inside the bars, tricky but manageable.
The high and low heat settings are both grips in parallel / series respectively, so if a grip fails, you could get one grip working on high but neither working on low...

Why the feck would anyone remove them before selling a set of used bars.

Powder-coating perhaps?

Then why not re-fit them before selling them ?

Don't bother replying, i'm fully capable of imagining my own different scenarios/excuses of why they weren't refitted... first that springs to mind is "because the dog ate them"..

Yay! €24 later...

20181212_151457.jpg

Surprisingly reasonable value for BMW...

€24 for a nut, bolt and 2 rubber washers a side is reasonable value? Even for BMW that's taking the piss.

Easy boys - €24 for two bolts, two grommets and two nuts. No washers. Who mentioned washers?

Reasonable, given that they asked me for €80 for rear brake pads...

Back
Top Bottom