R Nine T Racer S

Hannibal

Reaction score
Anyone here own one? I took one out for a test ride, model fitted with the optional traction control and it was an absolute hoot. It accommodated my 6’ 1” frame surprisingly well in the comfort stakes. I managed to downchange a bit too quickly coming into a 30 zone and the back wheel momentarily locked but (thankfully) didn’t spit me off, so handling seems quite forgiving.

Wicked exhaust note, too. Doesn’t need an aftermarket pipe.

I’m seriously considering one as a Sunday blast and as an alternative to my GS A and wondered if anyone has any opinions on what it’s like to live with either as a primary ride or a second bike.

Hi Hannibal, I have an Urban Gs (similar bike) & I use mine as an alternative to my Gs Rallye, the racer has a bit more wind protection so yours may be more usable on Motorways etc for longer faster distances, something the Urban lacks in my opinion. But I just luv the Urban, but the Gs Rallye is more refined & I wouldn’t be happy to let it go, different bikes & different price point.

Hi Hannibal, I have an Urban Gs (similar bike) & I use mine as an alternative to my Gs Rallye, the racer has a bit more wind protection so yours may be more usable on Motorways etc for longer faster distances, something the Urban lacks in my opinion. But I just luv the Urban, but the Gs Rallye is more refined & I wouldn’t be happy to let it go, different bikes & different price point.

Thanks for that, Phil. I found the Racer a little like the Speed Triple I had previously in that it’s not as bad on the motorway as it looks. The little fairing directs the wind right at my chest and gives enough lift to take the weight off my wrists. I’m not sure I’d want to cross Europe on it but a couple of hundred miles from the South East for a blast across the Beacons is do-able.

I have a GS A and there’s no way I’d swap but I’d love the Racer as a stable mate for Sunday blasts and to make my commute a little more interesting if the weather’s tidy. My dealer has a couple at just over £3,000 off list with a £500 deposit contribution from BMW (there was a few in group stock as BM didn’t sell as many as they anticipated, so they gave a few to my dealer to knock out at a massive discount. Brand new, not a pre-reg). In a nutshell, a £12,200 bike for £8,999. They can’t do a low mileage, year old one for that! Seems like a no-brainer :beerjug:

I have a GS A and there’s no way I’d swap but I’d love the Racer as a stable mate for Sunday blasts and to make my commute a little more interesting if the weather’s tidy. My dealer has a couple at just over £3,000 off list with a £500 deposit contribution from BMW (there was a few in group stock as BM didn’t sell as many as they anticipated, so they gave a few to my dealer to knock out at a massive discount. Brand new, not a pre-reg). In a nutshell, a £12,200 bike for £8,999. They can’t do a low mileage, year old one for that! Seems like a no-brainer :beerjug:

Wow, that’s really great value, I noticed the racer was getting discounted occasionally, worth another look for anyone who’s previously been interested in one..

Wow, that’s really great value, I noticed the racer was getting discounted occasionally, worth another look for anyone who’s previously been interested in one..

Well, if anyone’s interested, Vines of Guildford had two left at close of business last night. One with traction control and one without. The one without is £320 cheaper.

I have a Racer S, absolutely love it. Have only done 4500 miles on it in 10 months, longest trip 800 miles over a weekend. It is no way as uncomfortable as the journalists would have you believe, but perhaps it helps if you are a certain body shape! Just have to accept it is like riding a proper bike :D

Suspension is a bit rubbish but spending £200 on Hyperpro springs and oil in the front forks and replacing the rear shock spring with a Hyperpro one from Calsport has made great improvement and happy with the handling now. Otherwise made a few other cosmetic changes (including just removing the rather too large silencer).

BMW haven’t sold many (as far as I know Rybrook have sold two, one to me and their demo went to Portugal) - I got a very good discount and doubt anyone has paid full price! Does mean you don’t see many (I have never seen another on the road).

I have a Racer S, absolutely love it. Have only done 4500 miles on it in 10 months, longest trip 800 miles over a weekend. It is no way as uncomfortable as the journalists would have you believe, but perhaps it helps if you are a certain body shape! Just have to accept it is like riding a proper bike :D

Suspension is a bit rubbish but spending £200 on Hyperpro springs and oil in the front forks and replacing the rear shock spring with a Hyperpro one from Calsport has made great improvement and happy with the handling now. Otherwise made a few other cosmetic changes (including just removing the rather too large silencer).

BMW haven’t sold many (as far as I know Rybrook have sold two, one to me and their demo went to Portugal) - I got a very good discount and doubt anyone has paid full price! Does mean you don’t see many (I have never seen another on the road).

I was amazed at how uncomfortable it wasn't after reading and hearing various criticisms. I can imagine the stretch to the bars could get tiresome for shorter folk on a longer run or that exceptionally tall guys might get cramped but that’s about it.

Good advice on the suspension but I’m not that good a rider to exploit the difference. What didn’t you like about the standard set up?

I like the idea of not seeing too many around, which is one of the reasons I steered away from the usual suspects. I was considering a Monster but there seems to be more and more Dukes on the road lately.

I got offered a good deal on an Urban X with upgrades yesterday.
Surprised myself when I agreed to buy it!
Can't wait to get it... Not owned a brand new bike for 30 years.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I got offered a good deal on an Urban X with upgrades yesterday.
Surprised myself when I agreed to buy it!
Can't wait to get it... Not owned a brand new bike for 30 years.

How good was the deal ?

The dealer only had a few bikes on this deal... This was their last one (I believe).

I was in at NOG this afternoon

They have these deals on the Pure, Scrambler, Urban GS & Racer

£3500 off the Racer, £3000 off the Urban & IIRC £2350 off the other two

£500 of the discount is only if you take out finance through BMW Financial Services. Of course you can then always cancel the finance and pay it off in full during the 14 day cooling off period with no penalty

The Urbans they have are all the 'X' version with ASC a couple of them also have alarms which is a £250 extra cost

In a nutshell the Urban with ASC and no alarm is £9300otr with no finance or £8800otr with

Bit of a no brainer really. £8800 for a new BMW that you could hammer the fuck out of for 3 years without having to worry :D

£500 of the discount is only if you take out finance through BMW Financial Services. Of course you can then always cancel the finance and pay it off in full during the 14 day cooling off period with no penalty

The Urbans they have are all the 'X' version with ASC a couple of them also have alarms which is a £250 extra cost

In a nutshell the Urban with ASC and no alarm is £9300otr with no finance or £8800otr with

Bit of a no brainer really. £8800 for a new BMW that you could hammer the fuck out of for 3 years without having to worry :D

Bargain or what.. went into Marshall’s in Grimsby earlier, they have no R9’s but have discounted Gs Rallye & GSA which they offered good trade in deal to the customer ahead of me..

Well, I didn't quite get that good a deal... but not too far off!

Back
Top Bottom