Hilltop happy

Removing that flat spot is the main reason why folk have the work done. Extra power is nice to have. So much extra power is unexpected.

The engines run very weak as standard and can be harmfully weak with some exhaust systems. Generally the ECU will adapt to new header and silencer but not a free flowing air filter as well. But, some super free flowing exhausts can be too much leading to harmfully weak mixtures.
Information from Geoff when I asked about fitting the Akraprovic 2:1:2 stacked silencer system. He advised me to not run it without baffles on the OEM ECU map.

Thanks for your advice.

Just for your info, I used to run my own motorcycle tuning shop and had a Dynojet 250i rolling road so am familiar with tuning the GSs. Back then (2008) all we had were Power Commanders which just sat on top of the existing ECU signals to the injectors (ie fuelling adjustment) and spark plugs (ignition adjustment) and either lengthened or shortened the duration of the pulses to the injectors to richen or lean out the mixtures at various areas in the operating map. So it was very much a compromise. An improvement yes but a compromise. We (I) didn't have the capability then to get into the ECU and set definitive air-fuel parameters etc etc as it appears that Geoff in Hilltop van now do.

I don't have the dyno anymore (the financial crash in 2008/2009 saw to that) but am still curious how well that flat spot can be bettered.

Fergus

I have a Power Commander V on mine. Originally bought used and fitted as a stop gap but its been there for a few years now. Another option is Lambda shifting using a pair of AF-XID boxes. People who have done it are very pleased with the results.

Personally, I would rather have the remap as that changes the actual map only where needed rather than applying a fixed shift across the whole rev range. Changing the map completely removes the flat spot (which was programmed by BMW to meet the homologation noise tests) and make sure it wont run excessively weak anywhere else.

Any numbers for the 06 model

Just wondered on any others who have hilltopped on the single cam (mines an 06) as the torque had a massive jump from 68 to 80 but the BHP only went from 82 to 84 is this common.

I suspect the big gains are on bikes with aftermarket exhausts. A standard system with catalyst etc will not see the same gains.

I had the standard pipes and silencer on when I had the "dramatic" power and torque increases. I've since fitted a Leo Vince silencer which hasn't seemed to of altered the power but looks nice.

Who knows. :nenau

Shortly after I was warned that my Akra exhaust would cause the engine to run dangerously lean, I was offered a used Power Commander V. The difference was stunning and quite frankly the first time I opened it up not a bit scary. The heavy old slug suddenly went all nimble and quick. The remap has to be better still as my PCV was never dyno'd.

Incredible increase of 33% bhp and 19% torque (Using the word in its absolute meaning...)

77 start point is piss poor imho

Bet it runs much smoother now though

Yes, I'm sceptical of the lower figures, but it's beautiful fueling so I'm happy.

Yes, I'm sceptical of the lower figures, but it's beautiful fueling so I'm happy.

And thats all that matters ..no fancy end can or headers would achieve it so its money well spent

My 08 single cam circa 30k miles , went from 87.26hp to 98.5hp
Torque went from 66.36 to 79.28.
They did comment on how the initial hp figure was very good, when a twin cam in before myself was if I remember correctly around 70.
Fueling had improved drastically also after remap, now on 36k , bikes still running sweet.

OMG :eek: I have a new bike! Not really, but it seems like I do! Just fitted a power commander V, purchased used from here and had been dynoed with an akrapovic end can and Remus headers so still has that map loaded (I have standard header and can with no flappy valve) flat spot has disappeared and the bike is a real joy to ride, vibrations seem reduced, not jerky anymore, has stopped back firing on over run, the front picks up with a twist of the throttle, what a revalation :rolleyes: reluctant to get my 1200 GSA on the dyno as she has 153,000 miles on her and may go pop :blast just been for a 70 mile ride in the cold and wet roads and enjoyed every minute :thumb

My 08 felt suddenly lighter & handled better when the PCV was fitted. I put it down to smoother power delivery. Others have asked why it doesn't feel as heavy as theirs so it wasn't just in my head.

Back
Top Bottom