New here & to bikes - got F800GS last week

JerryR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got an 800GS, 2009 model to see how I get on and of I enjoy biking.

Work near Cambridge and live in North Yorkshire, commuting weekly by car. Purchased in South and decided to ride home on it to see how I got on, then get train back to lodgings where car was parked.

After several navigation issues (just picking up various roads rather than the rather dull concept of using the A1 which is pretty boring) the usual car trip of 5 or so hours (Friday afternoons not fun heading North in a car) I managed to take over 7 hours to weave home. Previous owner had fitted comfort seat and I was amazed to get off bike without feeling any ill effects at all :):)

By Sunday afternoon I gave up on train & thought that as there isn't much summer left I had better enjoy what there is of it, so rode back to Cambridge -- will worry about getting both vehicles North another time. Another lovely ride - apart from torrential rain around Hull and over Humber Bridge - and done in only 5 hours, so back to normal(ish) trip time (for back road route).

Only issue I had on return route was that fuel light came on in Lincoln, but as computer said I had 48 miles left in tank I thought I'd fill up going out of city. Heading out towards Sleaford up hill engine stopped as pulling away from lights. Still showed 40miles in tank, but stopped again after I re-started. VERY nice chap in his work van stopped and kindly went home and got me a couple of litres of petrol so I could get the last mile or so to the nearest garage.
When I filled up however I only got 12.5 litres in to bottom filler spout.
Is this normal (is full pick up at front of tank, so slightly up hill and accelerating means you run out early)??

Any help welcome - in meantime I'll just refuel more often.

May have to upgrade to larger tank - used to cars that go 450miles+ on a tank, having to stop every 150 or so a bit of a pain :)

Cheers in anticipation
Jerry

Hi Jerry, wouldn’t have thought it would have been low of fuel. Might be worth carrying a gallon with you till you get to know bike..
Been a while since I had an F800 but can remember it was great on fuel.

Welcome to forum as it’s your first post..

Should get over 200 miles on a tank if driven sensibly eg not always low gears. Do you have a trip computer/ mpg on the dash. 800’s do about 60 to 65 , 650’s do 65 to 70 real world mpg.

Its a 16 lit tank so about 3.5 galls so if trip computer says 60 mpg expect fuel light to come on about 180 ish miles

Steve

Ps suggestion of carrying spare fuel is good, just make sure you have brimmed the tank with the nozzle partly in. If you leave a service station nozzle fully in ( like a car) you will only fill part of the tank.

Lastly your fuel gauge only measures the last half of the tank, so after brimming the fuel gauge will not move until 100 plus miles.

Hth

Steve

Back
Top Bottom