KTM 1290 super adventure s weaving

I find the whole thing really weird as I'm not bullshitting when I say I've never experienced any sort of weave at any speed yet some people such as Davy F (who I believe implicitly) have experienced what I'd consider to be unacceptable for a modern, big bike :confused:

I'm a lazy cnut Nutty, did the AdvRider thread come to any conclusions?

Andres

A couple fitted better steering dampers, or had the stock one serviced, which solved the issue. :thumb

A couple fitted better steering dampers, or had the stock one serviced, which solved the issue. :thumb

Intersting :thumb2 I have to say, the OEM ones are pretty basic to put it mildly......... I have, on and off, considered fitting a posh one (just as bling), might just do it now when I have a bit of spare dosh :)

Andres

Intersting :thumb2 I have to say, the OEM ones are pretty basic to put it mildly......... I have, on and off, considered fitting a posh one (just as bling), might just do it now when I have a bit of spare dosh :)

Andres

I was going to fit a Hyperpro damper to mine, but didn’t bother in the end. I’m waiting to see what updates the 2019 bikes have (obviously there will be loads more torque just to piss BMW off :p), but may get one on the next bike.

I find the whole thing really weird as I'm not bullshitting when I say I've never experienced any sort of weave at any speed yet some people such as Davy F (who I believe implicitly) have experienced what I'd consider to be unacceptable for a modern, big bike :confused:

I'm a lazy cnut Nutty, did the AdvRider thread come to any conclusions?

Andres

https://youtu.be/-atJGNDLqoo hopefully link works this is what happens if not its on you tube

I was going to fit a Hyperpro damper to mine, but didn’t bother in the end. I’m waiting to see what updates the 2019 bikes have (obviously there will be loads more torque just to piss BMW off :p), but may get one on the next bike.

Nutty are you quietly admitting KTM have weave and wobble problems......however would not differ from any other bike on the planet at 150mph speeds. with wardrobes or other stuff hanging on the bike......:D

Nutty are you quietly admitting KTM have weave and wobble problems......however would not differ from any other bike on the planet at 150mph speeds. with wardrobes or other stuff hanging on the bike......:D

Exactly. It’s a non story. If the GS could do over 140mph with luggage, it would do the same. In fact, didn’t BMW fit a steering damper to the LC GS in 2014 for some reason? :augie:D

That’s because none of your GS’s will do more than about 120mph. :comfort

We’re talking about the odd wobble at 140/150mph.

The LC’s will do more than 120, but the point is one can’t use all the extra power and speed of KTM cause it will weave and wobble, so not much point in having it - depending upon the loading people saying that they weave and wobble at much lower speeds too - sounds like a fundamental design fault to me :)

The LC’s will do more than 120, but the point is one can’t use all the extra power and speed of KTM cause it will weave and wobble, so not much point in having it - depending upon the loading people saying that they weave and wobble at much lower speeds too - sounds like a fundamental design fault to me :)

You’re listening to too many rumours. Even if the KTM only did 120mph, it would still annihilate the GS all the way there. ;)

You’re listening to too many rumours. Even if the KTM only did 120mph, it would still annihilate the GS all the way there. ;)

Still must be a design fault if they weave and wobble inside their defined performance envelope, unless of course one isn’t permitted to fit luggage, which then means it isn’t a proper ‘adventure’ bike ;)

Still must be a design fault if they weave and wobble inside their defined performance envelope, unless of course one isn’t permitted to fit luggage, which then means it isn’t a proper ‘adventure’ bike ;)

The worse weave I have had in recent years was on a 2014 1200GSA with side cases but no top box - My 1290 SAS is much better ;)

All top boxes have a maximum speed limit printed inside the lid, or in the instructions. On my GS that was around 90mph IIRC. Would you like me to tell you what speed the GS started weaving at with the top box fitted? :augie

I’ll give you a clue, it was nowhere near 140mph. ;)

I wonder if the issue could be head bearings :nenau

Both my 1190R, Giles's 1190R and Milkmaid's 1190R had loose bearings from new (I think, also, Cookie's IIRC?).

When I rode Giles's new 1290S back in May I returned it to him asking if he had noticed the clunk, clunk, clunk every time one braked? :blast

Guess what, his head bearings were loose.

So, If the factory are sending the bikes out with incorrectly set head bearings here and there maybe that explains the odd bit of wibble, wobble here and there. Maybe :nenau

Andres

All top boxes have a maximum speed limit printed inside the lid, or in the instructions. On my GS that was around 90mph IIRC. Would you like me to tell you what speed the GS started weaving at with the top box fitted? :augie

I’ll give you a clue, it was nowhere near 140mph. ;)

Speed limits in top boxes are meaningless, it is the bike manufacturer’s recommended limit with the manufacturer’s luggage that is important because one assumes that they tested it with the bike. For KTM to sell a bike that weaves and wobbles inside its design parameters is a fault.

I wonder if the issue could be head bearings :nenau

Both my 1190R, Giles's 1190R and Milkmaid's 1190R had loose bearings from new (I think, also, Cookie's IIRC?).

When I rode Giles's new 1290S back in May I returned it to him asking if he had noticed the clunk, clunk, clunk every time one braked? :blast

Guess what, his head bearings were loose.

So, If the factory are sending the bikes out with incorrectly set head bearings here and there maybe that explains the odd bit of wibble, wobble here and there. Maybe :nenau

Andres

Poor quality control then :)

Speed limits in top boxes are meaningless, it is the bike manufacturer’s recommended limit with the manufacturer’s luggage that is important because one assumes that they tested it with the bike. For KTM to sell a bike that weaves and wobbles inside it’s design parameters is a fault.

You're really failing on this fishing trip dude so I'd give up now before you make yourself look REALLY stoopid :)

Compare & contrast a discussion by Orange owners who are openly admitting and discussing a genuine (all be it rare) issue with your droning on over much time that the WC never had any issues with it's gearbox, just thousands of owners that didn't know how to change gear.

Now run back to your smug little WC section and leave the adults to discuss things the way adults do.................

:cock

Andres

Back
Top Bottom