KTM 1290 super adventure s weaving

Indeed - I agree, we all have different requirements, but this weave, wobble, instability issue at a relatively low speed of 92mph for a 150+ bhp machine makes the bike fall short of my requirements - others won’t be bothered by this limitation ;)

Where has anyone said that the bike weaves and wobbles at 92mph? The luggage manufacturer has said that there may be instability issues, just as every other manufacturer does. They do this to cover their backs. In the real world, no bikes weave or wobble at 90mph and above, just because of a top box. If they did, nobody would put luggage on a motorbike.

I know you’re trying to be your usual smart arse self, but your comments are making you look a bit sad really, as you are obviously trying to be funny, but failing miserably.

Where has anyone said that the bike weaves and wobbles at 92mph? The luggage manufacturer has said that there may be instability issues, just as every other manufacturer does. They do this to cover their backs. In the real world, no bikes weave or wobble at 90mph and above, just because of a top box. If they did, nobody would put luggage on a motorbike.

I know you’re trying to be your usual smart arse self, but your comments are making you look a bit sad really, as you are obviously trying to be funny, but failing miserably.

I am not trying to be funny, the OP asked about weaves and wobbles, I was pointing out that KTM set a max speed for luggage that is 30kph less than the GS.

Read the KTM Warning above - the word ‘may’ is not there - try again.

I am not trying to be funny, the OP asked about weaves and wobbles, I was pointing out that KTM set a max speed for luggage that is 30kph less than the GS.

Read the KTM Warning above - the word ‘may’ is not there - try again.

Please stop feeding the troll :troll3

You right why buy a bike that the manufacturer says should not exceed150kph when fully loaded - the the GS is ‘safe’ to 180kph under the same loading.

Oh really. Any loaded bike can weave at lower speeds. Just like my GSA this year. Single rider (90kg plus riding kit), panniers loaded 15kg total (weighed before I left on tour), worn tyres and driven with gusto. Weave started in the bend below the 100mph mark but I kept the throttle open and it kept shaking the bars all the way through the bend, By the time I came out of the bend it was shaking the head but I was not deterred. By now it was at warp speed for boxer BMWs :D Anything over 90 -95 on that road and it had a bit of a shake on it.

So please, if you intend to travel at illegal speeds don't take any notice of the warning posted on the luggage.

The OP wanted information about the KTM instability issue - so I posted it, safety issues should be highlighted and not brushed under the carpet - anyone who does not heed the handbook speed limits needs to know what the consequences could be. The instability warning really should to be inside the front cover of the manual not hidden away in the middle somewhere.

It clear that the problems that the Motorrad reported years ago is still there - KTM either aren't listening to their customers or can't fix it.

Anyway it's important to have all this information before making a purchasing decision.

I queried my weave with my KTM dealer after that trip in ‘14 and the reason/answer or guess given was it was down to not having oe panniers fitted. Seems that this isn’t the case.

On another note, on German autobahns this year, my Africa Twin, fully laden with panniers and topbox was as stable as a very stable thing cruising at 112mph. :)

I queried my weave with my KTM dealer after that trip in ‘14 and the reason/answer or guess given was it was down to not having oe panniers fitted. Seems that this isn’t the case.

On another note, on German autobahns this year, my Africa Twin, fully laden with panniers and topbox was as stable as a very stable thing cruising at 112mph. :)

When I asked if it had been fixed on the 1290 my local dealer demonstrated that they’ve built a certain amount of float into the panniers because owners of the older 1190 model had commented on the weave. Mine did it with the original KTM panniers and Touratech ones so the rigidity might have been the cause :nenau

I wonder if the issue could be head bearings :nenau

Both my 1190R, Giles's 1190R and Milkmaid's 1190R had loose bearings from new (I think, also, Cookie's IIRC?).

Andres

My 1190S had loose head bearings and clunked on braking. It also developed a weave slowing from about 50mph if you took your hands off the bar. Adjusting the bearings fixed the clunk and new tyres fixed the slow weave. It never had any sign of high speed weave loaded or unloaded (soft luggage). The fastest I had it was 125ish.

My 1190R has never weaved at all but i've never been quite that fast on it. Maybe 110ish loaded? Accelerates hard with no head shakes. Never clunked either.

I’ve realised what the issue was; the suspension setting. I mainly ride in comfort or road.

If you want to ride at high speed with luggage, set the suspension to SPORT. That firms everything up, and after a few runs at over 145mph with the top box fitted, it’s as solid as a rock.;)

My 1290S has never weaved - currently running a new Avon Trailrider front with a well worn Scorpion rear and still rock solid ;)

My 1190S had loose head bearings and clunked on braking. It also developed a weave slowing from about 50mph if you took your hands off the bar. Adjusting the bearings fixed the clunk and new tyres fixed the slow weave. It never had any sign of high speed weave loaded or unloaded (soft luggage). The fastest I had it was 125ish.

My 1190R has never weaved at all but i've never been quite that fast on it. Maybe 110ish loaded? Accelerates hard with no head shakes. Never clunked either.

Interestingly, I rode Giles's new 1290S back in the early summer........guess what, loose head bearings.

I wonder also if the bikes are sensitive to tyres? I love the Trail Attacks, they work so well on the bike but hated how it handled on the Dunlops I subsequently fitted. So much so that I junked them long before they were worn and went back to the Contis [1]

Andres

[1] I believe Conti have just launched a Trail Attack III?

Andres

I’m just back from a week in France fully loaded with camping gear, on pretty worn scorpions. Perfectly stable up to 120mph, which is as fast as I was happy to go. With a top box only I find it gets a bit vague at 130 ish

I’m just back from a week in France fully loaded with camping gear, on pretty worn scorpions. Perfectly stable up to 120mph, which is as fast as I was happy to go. With a top box only I find it gets a bit vague at 130 ish

So 2 up at 80 max with full luggage should not be an issue?

My 1190 doesn't weave at all, but I've never ridden at what you lot would class as Autobahn speeds, I like living too much for that shit.

Back
Top Bottom