ABS 2 reset problems

Mark H

Formerly known as Easyrider5258 (Mark)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Bike is a BMW R1100RT 1999.

On the way to the Cotswolds a couple weeks ago I had failure of my Exide 19amphr battery previously fitted / supplied by BMW 5 years ago, ordered a new Exide (same battery) from Motorworks and fitted it. The abs worked fine up to the change of batteries.

After fitting the new battery the ABS lights would flash alternately and the abs would not arm when pulling away, OK I thought I would reset using the earthing centre pin method, it would reset and the lights go out and I hear the clunk of the ABS arming, all is well till the journeys complete, next time I use the bike the ABS wont arm, lights flash and I reset it again, this goes on for every trip, the ABS needs constant resetting.

The new battery has been fully charged, is on a optimate, shows green light on optimate (Charged) voltage drop when cranking is about 9.5 volts, no load voltage across battery is 13.84V

So apart from wiring a constant earth from the centre pin with a button to reset every trip can any one offer any other ideas:rolleyes:?

Cheers

Mark

You could try making sure all the electrical switches are turned off when you switch the ignition on, the lights, heated grips etc... turn the ignition on and wait for a few seconds while the abs system does it's checks (it needs to read 12+volts when checking), if any electrics are on and you press the starter while it's checking the ABS, the ABS it will turn itself off.

Hi, thanks for your reply, everything's off bar the ignition when I go to start up, which is normal for me as I understand the battery has got to have nothing else draining it on startup, there's usually a bit of a pause between ignition on and pressing the starter, I will make this a more deliberate action
Any other suggestions welcome

Like Steptoe says above, make sure all accessories are turned off then turn key to start position. Watch the ABS lights go through their check sequence until the bottom light goes out (if it doesn’t then maybe there is a current drain somewhere or battery is not holding a full charge) then fire up. Works for me.

You could try making sure all the electrical switches are turned off when you switch the ignition on, the lights, heated grips etc... turn the ignition on and wait for a few seconds while the abs system does it's checks (it needs to read 12+volts when checking), if any electrics are on and you press the starter while it's checking the ABS, the ABS it will turn itself off.

I have a 95 1100 gs ; and sometimes the ABS does't arm straight away; i generaly turn it off ; then turn it back on and kick it in the guts quickly; and it arms; other times i just think ; fuck it ; and ride off with it flashing; i have never bothered to check if things are turned off first; would your method work the same for mine steptoe; or is it new Moto Batt time?

Back
Top Bottom