Help, I've fallen in Love with this is Spain. What is she?

Markyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So the story.
I'm in Spain at the moment and was looking to buy a moped to pop around the doors on when I saw this BMW sitting in the corner of a car sales garage. It's pushed up against a few BSA and classic bikes I've never seen before.
It's dusty and only shows 278km on the clock (hmm) and looks like it needs love and more importantly needs to be used!
So I've fallen in love with it but don't know what it is or how much it's worth.
So can the knowledgeable on here give me the heads up.

Attachments

• 20180920_112133.jpg
    20180920_112133.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 850
Forks are Earles and correct for a BMW of the 60's era.

Edit: That looks like an R69S with an extra pillion seat and luggage rack. Very desirable machine.

Can I just say the owner of the bike is an old gent living local to the garage and the bike has sat for many years as you see it in the picture. The garage owner is away from work and a young lady sales assistant, who's English is as bad as my Spanish so asking questions is proving hard.

These days, the R69S in good condition sells for around Euros 17,000 to 20,000 or maybe more depending on the kms/condition

a few years ago they sold for £10k

They are increasing in value each year

I'll try and get more pics and info on it when the garage owner returns or I'll email him for more info and pictures. My mrs is going to kill me as i was looking at euro2300 for a GOES 125cc scooter.

Very nice. And very expensive. Prepare to seriously bend your wallet.

Isnt that what Mr Corser was blasting round Goowood on last weekend??

Could be a r50/2...or a r60/2 ?

Rather than the more expensive r69s.

I cant tell from the one photo shown
Still lovely whichever model.

Last edited:
There is a plate riveted to the head stock, behind the headlamp, which will tell you which model it is. Looking at the air filter housing it doesn't appear to be a R69.

On reflection, the valve covers are right for a 50/2 as is the air filter; but as you say, difficult to say from the single photo.

Can't the OP cop a look at the ID plate up on the headstock?

Look like an R50/60 to me, circa 1960...ish. Used to be plentiful in France & Greece, but rarely in Spain in my experience, as they were skint at the time. Probably found it's way there with an ex-pat resettling in the sun.

Looks like a UK tax disc holder on headlight on the right, where the mirror should be, I may be wrong.

I see what you mean, but I think it's the curl of a headlight protector bar TBH, it has one over the rear. These tubular protectors were popular in the US.

I’m pretty sure it’s part of the headlight bracket in this case, however, uk style tax disc holders are often used in France, and possibly Spain, for the insurance vignette which has to be displayed.

Nice bike, no idea which model or year although would guess at about 1958

Edit: It’s either R69 (1955-60) or a R69S (1960-69). Apparently the two fins on the rocker cover are the giveaway.

Back
Top Bottom