Random stalling

I have through some somewhat similar problems as you describe. After trying replacement coils and one of the Lambdas everything was cured by replacing the TPS with one of the pattern parts linked to earlier by Santa. I could also smell exhaust, not everytime but enough to notice. There's a thread about it....http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...m-idle-balance-Erratic-idle-amp-rough-running

If you have or have access to a GS911 do study the outputs very carefully and get the sample rate as high as you can, also select just the item you want to examine in detail. By doing this I eventually spotted some very small fluctuations in the throttle angle but when I replaced the TPS the line was completely flat at tickover where before there was just the occasional ever so slight blip. For £38.50 and a few minutes to fit its got to be worth a go with a new TPS.

I have through some somewhat similar problems as you describe. After trying replacement coils and one of the Lambdas everything was cured by replacing the TPS with one of the pattern parts linked to earlier by Santa. I could also smell exhaust, not everytime but enough to notice. There's a thread about it....http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...m-idle-balance-Erratic-idle-amp-rough-running

If you have or have access to a GS911 do study the outputs very carefully and get the sample rate as high as you can, also select just the item you want to examine in detail. By doing this I eventually spotted some very small fluctuations in the throttle angle but when I replaced the TPS the line was completely flat at tickover where before there was just the occasional ever so slight blip. For £38.50 and a few minutes to fit its got to be worth a go with a new TPS.

I think for €50 it's a no brainer to try.

Thanks for the info.

My stalling has become a twice daily occurrence now. Once on the way to work and once on the way home.

£38 TPS sensor ordered and llamda sensors will get replaced at the weekend as well just in case.

Fitted the new TPS at the weekend and haven’t had a random stall yet. Hoping that might have been a very easy and cheap fix but will keep an eye on it!

More of the same...

Hi all,

came on here to see if there's anything about rough running and sudden stalling and here it is!

My 2012, 49000 miler only had a service 6 weeks ago, proper one with Pidcocks to keep up the full service history.

Anyway, it was a little lumpy before the service, and has got slowly worse. Really bad suddenly in busy traffic on the way home from work. I sat in the queue rather than wizzing down the white line coz I was struggling to keep it running. sat there like a schoolboy on his first 50 revving it to keep it going. Sounded like it was on one cylinder with the other joining in at higher revs. It settled down again before I got home though.
I've been around the injector and TPS connections with contact cleaner, and it started fine.
Shall I risk using it for work tomorrow? I'm an optimist so I probably will.

I'l let you know how it went...

Bill
Nottingham

The primary's are standard 3 pin stick coils, I believe you can get car sets to fit - However looking in the Valeo & Beru ? catalogues does not show a cross compatible unit.

The secondaries are of a unique design and i couldn't find any non oem units / pattern parts anywhere

The later spec BMW primaries have stainless steel casings and seem to last better than the older all black coils. But £80 each is really taking the proverbial.

We know the secondaries are a special pattern but a common three wire stick coil could be used with a plug lead. That would mean placing the coils under the side panels but I reckon there is enough space.

Hi all,

came on here to see if there's anything about rough running and sudden stalling and here it is!

My 2012, 49000 miler only had a service 6 weeks ago, proper one with Pidcocks to keep up the full service history.

Anyway, it was a little lumpy before the service, and has got slowly worse. Really bad suddenly in busy traffic on the way home from work. I sat in the queue rather than wizzing down the white line coz I was struggling to keep it running. sat there like a schoolboy on his first 50 revving it to keep it going. Sounded like it was on one cylinder with the other joining in at higher revs. It settled down again before I got home though.
I've been around the injector and TPS connections with contact cleaner, and it started fine.
Shall I risk using it for work tomorrow? I'm an optimist so I probably will.

I'l let you know how it went...

Bill
Nottingham

That's sounds like what happened to me when a primary coil failed. For a while, it sounded like and MZ 2-stroke doing that mad frog "brr-de brr" noise, then a bit further along it went onto one cylinder. The other coil failed shortly after with a repeat performance.

Rich mixture with a misfire is caused by unused air going down the exhaust (no spark = no fuel burn). The ECU sees that as a weak mixture so increases fuel flow. The result is when those intermittent sparks do arrive, its running very rich.

Back
Top Bottom