Tyres for XCountry....?

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The very nice XCountry which I bought from Longjohn last week was delivered to me by Mikeyboy tonight - many thanks Mike:thumb2 Its Tourances are about 7 years old and though there's still plenty of tread left on them, the rear's a bit squared off the rubber feels pretty hard. So it looks like it's time for a new pair. What are folks running? I've just been looking at Avon Trailriders on-line.... :nenau

I put Trailriders on my 700GS.
Superb tyres & will put a set on my XC next year..

Not an XC admittedly, but I have been using Continental Trail Attack 2 on my GS and am very happy with them. Given the "spirited" way you like to ride ;) they are easily up to the job.
HTH

Given the "spirited" way you like to ride ;) they are easily up to the job.
HTH

Ssshhhh.....who told you that? :blast I've bought this wee 50 hp single to slow me down a bit and to bimble along narrow hill roads and single track lanes in my dotage.

Ssshhhh.....who told you that? :blast I've bought this wee 50 hp single to slow me down a bit and to bimble along narrow hill roads and single track lanes in my dotage.

I love my little X Country. I was concerned it would be tedious for long days, 500 miles and a days work, but it does it with ease. In fact, with panniers it is all the bike I need. I had Mitas E07 on it when I got it and they were pretty good, even worn they scrabbled off road a bit. I got a pair of TKC80s for £30 from a chap who had a bike with same size wheels but had sold the bike and tyres were unused and sitting in his shed..... they scrabble off road even better (and I am an off road virgin until a couple of weeks ago, rough gravel tracks only - but the TKCs coped on rocky climbs and got me through with no technique or knowledge whatsoever! To be honest I am a 90% road rider and plan to venture off road very occassionally, but the knobblies were cheap. They grip well enough for me in the dry, but I have been warned they are not that grippy in the wet on the road - I haven't put that to the test properly yet in this dry summer we've had. I came through after a shower the other day coming home from the boat show, they were OK for me, but then I am a gentle rider with an eye on the fuel gauge. The Mitas were sound and lasted well - the TKCs will disappear in the blink of an eye, which is why I won't be paying over the odds for new ones and will go back to the Mitas E07s.

I've had a Mitas on the rear but after the OEM Tourabce I went for TKC's bu now have settled on Heidenau Scouts. They're really good on the bendy roads near me (in the Pyrenees) and ditto stoney/gravelly trails. But I don't do rain or mud -don't have to to why! - the front is useless in mud and I'm told the rear is crap on wet tarmac.

Regs

Simon

Then you complain to me that its not fast enough :blast

Continental Trail Attack 2's :thumby:

Mind you, got a pair of almost new Michelin Anakee 3's going cheap pretty soon :D

:beerjug:

Continental Trail Attack 2's :thumby:

Mind you, got a pair of almost new Michelin Anakee 3's going cheap pretty soon :D

Are they road orientated, or off road thoughts too?

The TKC on the back of mine has dissolved while I watch it....I bet it hasn't lasted 5000 miles. I will check and see how many miles it has done, but not a lot, when you think I get 13,000 plus out of Tourance on the much heavier 1150.

Are they road orientated, or off road thoughts too?

What ... the Continental Trail Attack 2's or the Michelin Anakee 3's?

Both probably more road orientated Simon 60/40 maybe 70/30 dunno :beerjug:

13,000 miles :yikes

Never ever got more than 5,000 possibly 6,000 max out of Tourances on 650's, 1150's, 1200's

Sometimes as little as 3,000 - 3,500 :D

I know but what seemed like a good idea in my head hasn't really worked out on the road. I mean there's slow and then there's.......
snail.gif

What ... the Continental Trail Attack 2's or the Michelin Anakee 3's?

Both probably more road orientated Simon 60/40 maybe 70/30 dunno :beerjug:

13,000 miles :yikes

Never ever got more than 5,000 possibly 6,000 max out of Tourances on 650's, 1150's, 1200's

Sometimes as little as 3,000 - 3,500 :D

But that is because you are considerably richer than me! :aidan

I am horrified that the rear tyre on my X Country has dissolved so fast.....I was expecting to last much longer than an 1150 tyre, seeing as how it has less weight on it and I am riding it as gently.

Might give your Michelins a go... :thumby:

But that is because you are considerably richer than me! :aidan

I am horrified that the rear tyre on my X Country has dissolved so fast.....I was expecting to last much longer than an 1150 tyre, seeing as how it has less weight on it and I am riding it as gently.

Might give your Michelins a go... :thumby:

You might be riding the XCountry with more exuberance Simon ... such is the nature of the beast :D

You can have them both, the pair, for £25.00 Simon, if you collect. I had to go down to Wales to collect a couple of rims with them on, and other stuff, which I have subsequently delivered all over the country for good folk on here. Just a meagre contribution to diesel for the VW Camper ;)

Not got them sorted yet, need to get them off the rims ... PM me or text me and we'll get ya sorted :thumb

You might be riding the XCountry with more exuberance Simon ... such is the nature of the beast :D

You can have them both, the pair, for £25.00 Simon, if you collect. I had to go down to Wales to collect a couple of rims with them on, and other stuff, which I have subsequently delivered all over the country for good folk on here. Just a meagre contribution to diesel for the VW Camper ;)

Not got them sorted yet, need to get them off the rims ... PM me or text me and we'll get ya sorted :thumb

Thank ye kind sir. I am sure some elixir might find its way into the kitchen too!

Good trip to the furthest reaches of known civilisation today, otherwise known as 'Micky's place'. :D Took all back roads to keep out of the howling wind, it worked except for the exposed sections of Nottinghamshire's 'Dukeries', past the fields of bacon on the hoof. It was fine until a dark cloud loomed over, with very ragged edges. As soon as I saw it I thought, there will be some wind under there when it arrives...sure enough, it was howling, and emptied its load of water! A welcome mug of coffee was a restorative though, the pork pie even more so!
I left with a pair of tyres strapped on the back of the Xco, thanks for the use of the strap Micky. :thumb2

Ran home again through different back lanes. Headed for Worksop and across the M1 to Chesterfield and then down through Bakewell and Ashbourne. Tyres stayed put on the pillion, and are now tucked up in the shed, away from the light until I turn the TKCs into slicks. Micky thinks they are already long shot, I think they are good for another couple of thousand miles! Soon have new rubber on the little bike thanks to Micky. :thumby:

Good trip to the furthest reaches of known civilisation today, otherwise known as 'Micky's place'. :D Took all back roads to keep out of the howling wind, it worked except for the exposed sections of Nottinghamshire's 'Dukeries', past the fields of bacon on the hoof. It was fine until a dark cloud loomed over, with very ragged edges. As soon as I saw it I thought, there will be some wind under there when it arrives...sure enough, it was howling, and emptied its load of water! A welcome mug of coffee was a restorative though, the pork pie even more so!
I left with a pair of tyres strapped on the back of the Xco, thanks for the use of the strap Micky. :thumb2

Ran home again through different back lanes. Headed for Worksop and across the M1 to Chesterfield and then down through Bakewell and Ashbourne. Tyres stayed put on the pillion, and are now tucked up in the shed, away from the light until I turn the TKCs into slicks. Micky thinks they are already long shot, I think they are good for another couple of thousand miles! Soon have new rubber on the little bike thanks to Micky. :thumby:

Good to see you Simon ... now have a great time on that forthcoming trip o' yours :thumb

Back
Top Bottom