changing oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 40/50 is the hot viscosity with synthetic, its thinner when cold,
So worst of both worlds using 15w 50, too thick hot or cold,
Regardless of oppinion, bmw state 5w 40,
If nothing else you are making an informed decision.,malco,,

Beaver, if you get a moment go on u tube, there are loads of viscosity cup tests as i mantioned before, really worh a view, and factual,
Its an eye opener,,
Some turbo petrol and diesels are using 0w20,, and variable oil pressure that drops under acelleration to reduce internal drag !
Just consider a tight binding hinge,, spay wd40 or similar on and it gets in there and frees off, use even engine oil and you have to work it in and it gradually frees off,
Modern tight tolerances are designed in for the lower viscosity,
To be fair its marginal, but as i mentioned long term,,,,,

I have just swapped to an r 9 t,
so back to the TC motor that needs running in and on semi synthetic oil 15w50,
No fault of the gs, just bad back r 9t is more manageable,,
I agree re comments of the Lc being noisy, it is much smoother compared to tc,,
Like you guys i service my own bike, brakes come apart yearly regardless,
the dealer will see it for the first 2 services until year 2 ,

Beaver, if you get a moment go on u tube, there are loads of viscosity cup tests as i mantioned before, really worh a view, and factual,
Its an eye opener,,
Some turbo petrol and diesels are using 0w20,, and variable oil pressure that drops under acelleration to reduce internal drag !
Just consider a tight binding hinge,, spay wd40 or similar on and it gets in there and frees off, use even engine oil and you have to work it in and it gradually frees off,
Modern tight tolerances are designed in for the lower viscosity,
To be fair its marginal, but as i mentioned long term,,,,,

yes indeed.. as said before, a 5-50 may mike things settle down a bit, but its probably the thickness of the metal components used these days and not any gaps that making the noise... drum on a ships hull or a tin lid kind of thing... they will be designed to save weight, cost etc.. so will only be as 'solid' as they need to be... not like the old days ;)

Changed the oil today to 5w40

When comparing 5w40 with the 15w50 at room temp the viscosity were virtually identical.

Worked out to be an expensive oil change at £80 for diy:blast

If anybody wants the 15w50 for an air cooled bmw and can pick it up form Burton on Trent its yours for free.

Oil has only done 1.6miles. Seems a shame to waste it.

When comparing 5w40 with the 15w50 at room temp the viscosity were virtually identical.

If anybody wants the 15w50 for an air cooled bmw and can pick it up form Burton on Trent its yours for free.

More expensive than BMW, I aint coming to yours for a service............:D

I'll take that. I'm over in Lichfield. Is it castrol?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom