This has been spoke(n) about before.

stixdrive

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2017 GSA has just been recovered back to the dealership. I am just back from a week away to France Germany and Belgium about 1000 miles in all.

Washing the bike this afternoon the rear wheel was missing a spoke! I was going to ride the GSA into the dealer but they recommended having the bike recovered.

I had one missing spoke and one loose one. I had checked the spokes before the trip away all were tight. All looked good on the channel tunnel on the way home. I must have lost it somewhere from Folkestone to Norfolk. I will be checking the spokes more often.

Lots of reported issues.... bad batch of wheels it seems. Including mine

I had my front wheel replaced yesterday because of loose spokes.
I had checked the spokes some were more tong than ting but not too bad.
Took it for a 12000 mile service and they just replaced the wheel without hesitation.
Cannot fault the service from the dealers, but it is a little worrying that a wheel doesn't last 12000 miles.

I had my front wheel replaced yesterday because of loose spokes.
I had checked the spokes some were more tong than ting but not too bad.
Took it for a 12000 mile service and they just replaced the wheel without hesitation.
Cannot fault the service from the dealers, but it is a little worrying that a wheel doesn't last 12000 miles.

Mine have done 24000 and its an early 2016, no spoke issues what age are these with the spoke issues ?

Isn’t one of the real reasons for having spoked wheels the option to fix them if they become distorted? It was probably easier for the dealer to replace the wheels rather than put them on a wheel alignment jig. I also check mine and have found a loose one some time ago, so torqued it up and checked the alignment against a hard point on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Problem appears to be mainly with 2018 bikes. I have a Gs Rallye. Found some spokes loose at 1000 miles . Local dealer tightened them and my daughter took it to europe for 2500 miles . When she came home , due to having to go back to work , it was left Near Norwich. when I went down to collect it I found only about three spokes were tight in the rear wheel . Took it into Lind BMW in Norwich at 15.00 on a friday afternoon. Told me it was not safe to ride and said they would have a new wheel on by Saturday afternoon ...Fantastic customer service ! The front wheel spokes nearly all have a dull ring to them and they would have replaced that too but nearest front was in Germany. I rode home with out any issue and its booked in for a front next week . Cant speak highly enough of Lind Bmw

Washing my 2018 GS and noticed a loose spoke on the rear today. 5k miles. Starting to wish I'd not paid extra for this worry :banghead: Lets see if it's covered under the warranty. No way I'm riding down the motorway now I know it's loose.

Problem appears to be mainly with 2018 bikes.

Do we have any firm idea of the production dates affected? I'd like to put spoke checks back to routine status if I can be sure my wheels aren't at special risk, as I'm sure many others would too.

My bike had a couple of loose spokes front and rear wheel, March 2017 bike.

2018 GSA , Brought it in for one/two very loose rear wheel spoke, they found 10. There is apparently a recall if over 7...so new wheel to be delivered. Front wheel is fine.

Back
Top Bottom