Blown headlamp bulb.

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The n/s headlamp dipped beam bulb blew as I started my l/c RT. Nothing strange in that I hear you say. What is strange though is that I was blinding people coming the other way as I rode home. Nothing else has changed. What’s going on? JJH

Have had a few blown dipped beam bulbs. I thought it was due to buying cheapo bulbs off ebay but my latest ones are Phillips.

My bike struggled to start last weekend and blew the headlamp bulb in the process, not a biggie because i have a few spares but annoying.
Since 1979 I've had countless cars (almost 40 years) in that time i have probably only replaced about 4 or 5 bulbs on my motors.
Since 2011 (when i bought my R1200GSA) i am sure i have replaced the front dipped beam bulb about 8 times :mad:

The one that is not blown has more power going to it because of the blown bulb on the far side???

Same way an indicator will flash faster when when the other is blown?

Just a guess........don't laugh, I'm delicate today

Sent from a U11

The n/s headlamp dipped beam bulb blew as I started my l/c RT. Nothing strange in that I hear you say. What is strange though is that I was blinding people coming the other way as I rode home. Nothing else has changed. What’s going on? JJH

Having had a further look it’s the o/s dipped beam pattern is gone all over the place and I used the lever to turn it down. I left the lever in the middle between the two positions as that seems to focus on the ground. Still a mad glare from it. Obviously I’ll replace both bulbs. It will be interesting to look at the bulb that hasn’t blown. JJH

Just a WAG. Is the high beam switching on due to low beam failure?

You got it. I made a eronious assumption that the 2 outside lamps were dip and the middle one was high. Not so it’s the other way round. So when the dip failed the o/s main took over. Of course the n/s main wasn’t lit as I was on dip which was broke. So that’s whare the assumption came from. Sorted now. 2 mains are h1 dip h7. JJH

You got it. I made a eronious assumption that the 2 outside lamps were dip and the middle one was high. Not so it’s the other way round. So when the dip failed the o/s main took over. Of course the n/s main wasn’t lit as I was on dip which was broke. So that’s whare the assumption came from. Sorted now. 2 mains are h1 dip h7. JJH

As you would after a hard days work.

Back
Top Bottom